The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Low cal diet extends life

yeah yeah, I know this isn't new news...but here are results from another study...

http://us.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.f....ap/index.html

Study: Cutting calories extends life
    Even older mice on restricted diets fare better in research
    Tuesday, March 23, 2004 Posted: 8:50 AM EST (1350 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A study in mice suggests that a low-calorie diet could help extend life even if the dietary change doesn't start until old age.

The study, appearing this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, showed that mice at the relatively advanced age of 19 months that were placed on a restricted calorie diet lived 42 percent longer than litter mates who continued to eat a standard diet.

Other studies have shown that young mice put on a low-calorie diet live much longer than mice fed the standard fare. But the new research suggests that it is never too late to enjoy a life-extension benefit by reducing calories.

Stephen R. Spindler of the University of California, Riverside, leader of a team conducting the research, said there is little evidence yet that dietary restrictions will extend human life, but in mice, at least, sensible eating even at older ages clearly has a longevity benefit. He said a 19-month-old mouse is the age equivalent of 60 to 65 years in humans.

Spindler said old mice placed on a restricted calorie diet responded quickly with better health and that eventually the animals lived up to six months longer than litter mates fed the standard diet.

If such findings translate to humans, he said, "this could mean a lot more years and a lot of good years. The mice on caloric restriction lived longer and they are healthier."

Early vs late start
    Spindler said that while older mice that go on a diet do live longer than those that don't, they still don't live as long as mice that have been on restricted diets for a lifetime. He said mice put on low-calorie diets just after birth have been known to live up to four years, almost twice as long as normal mice and months longer than the aged mice in the new study.

The message, he said, is that sensible eating for a lifetime is best, but there are life span benefits even if the diet is not started until old age.

"This is a very important finding," said Dr. George S. Roth of the National Institute on Aging, one of the National Institutes of Health.

"The dogma has always been that the earlier in life you start a restricted diet, the better it works for extending life," said Roth, a researcher studying the aging process who was not involved in Spindler's research. "This finding suggests that you may get some of the same benefits starting late in life."

Cancer connection
    Spindler said the study also found that the restricted-calorie diets also slowed the development and advancement of cancer. Death from tumors is very common among aged mice, he said, but the researchers found that tumor growth either started later or was slowed among mice fed limited calories.

The researchers also analyzed how the action of genes changed in mice placed on restricted calorie diets. Spindler said there were changes and that these might be biomarkers of how the restricted diet works to extend life.

"People have been searching for 30 years for biomarkers of the changes that take place during the aging process," said Spindler. He said the new study in mice suggests that by measuring the amount and type of proteins made by the genes scientists could pinpoint the biomarkers of aging.

Once those are known, he said, it would be possible to find drugs that have the same effect on life extension as calorie-restricted diets.

Does this mean that eventually aging could be slowed by taking a pill?

"I am confident that that day will come," said Spindler

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It makes sense... don't be a glutton.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    It makes sense... don't be a glutton.
    you misread the article...

How did I misread it? Stay on a restricted calorie diet i.e. Don't eat like a glutton.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

I think that by "restricted" they mean something ridiculous like 90% of your basal (or maybe basal + calories burned by activity). Really low in other words. I'm not familiar with this particular study I don't think, but I have heard of similar ones done before. Even those "life extension" people are all like F*%@ that S@$%!

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    How did I misread it? Stay on a restricted calorie diet i.e. Don't eat like a glutton.
    its just semmantics..
    Gluttony means eating to excess, above the norm.
    This article isn't saying to eat less than excess...its saying eat less than normal.

you should have written:
    Stay on a restricted calorie diet i.e. eat like an anorexic
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 03-23-2004 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    its just semmantics..
    Gluttony means eating to excess, above the norm.
    This article isn't saying to eat less than excess...its saying eat less than normal.

you should have written:
    Stay on a restricted calorie diet i.e. eat like an anorexic
    Ok how about Stay on a restricted calorie diet i.e. eat the opposite of a glutton.

I like the word glutton.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

The same study was done a LOOONG time ago. Isnt the researcher who did this and firmly believes it will be the same for people, now eating only like 800 calories a day himself? He has done this for a very long time. He does look younger than he is. moves like a sloth though
    Last edited by Reinier; 03-23-2004 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier
    The same study was done a LOOONG time ago
    same subject, different premise. this one was testing if mice that started low calorie diets later in life would have any benefit...

LOL, you know what, I'd rather be happy eating what I wanted than to starve myself to live a couple years or months longer. What's the point if can't eat?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    LOL, you know what, I'd rather be happy eating what I wanted than to starve myself to live a couple years or months longer. What's the point if can't eat?
    if the results translate straightly to humans, wed be talking a life thats more like 50 years longer, or more. not a few years.

The conclusion has to be that not only eating over your maintenance level shortens life, but simply having a high maintenance level in itself does too.
    Last edited by Reinier; 03-23-2004 at 10:52 AM.

Question - when they say a low calorie diet is the only proven method of extending life expectancy, do they mean relative to the individual's metabolic requirements or an absolute value?

Say someone requires 5000 calories to maintain (unlucky Mr Hard Gainer), would restricting himself to say 3000 calories get the same results? Because 3000 calories is still quite a lot of food compared to say 1500.

Banned
    I don't think any of those mice were bodybuilders