The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Schedule changing; stick with split or go full body

I made mention in a previous thread that I only had monday, tuesday, and friday available to me to hit the gym. Next week my schedule is changing and I will instead have mondya, wednesday, and friday available to me.

My question though is as a beginner, should I stick with doing a split....or would it be best to do a full body routine?

Most people I have talked to have said that as a beginner it would be more benefitial to work the full body instead of doing a split, which is for more advanced trainee's.

They say that full body routines are best for beginners, upper/lower splits are best for intermediates, and that splits are really for those who have been training for awhile.

Anyhow, would you agree with this advice, and do you think that going the full body route would be best for me at this time?

My plan would be to do a full body split for 12 weeks, an upper/lower split for the 12 weeks after that, and then when I am more advanced finally going the split route.

Thanks for the feedback.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i would say full body

Wannabebig Member
    That's what a lot of people have been saying. Would anyone like to give me an example monday/wednesday/friday full body split?

Monday
    Flat BB Bench pressx3
    Deadliftsx2
    Chinupsx3
    Military pressx1
    Squatsx2

Wednesday
    Incline Bench pressx2
    Bent Rowsx3
    Leg Pressx3
    Db shoulder pressx2
    STDL'sx2

Friday
    Flat BB bench pressx3
    Deadliftsx2
    Military pressx1
    Chinupsx3
    Squatsx2

8-10 reps for a month or so. Then you could play around with the rep scheme a little bit by doing heavy reps on mondays and fridays and light reps on wednesdays.
    Last edited by NaturalBuilder; 03-23-2004 at 09:07 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBuilder
    Monday
    Flat BB Bench pressx3
    Deadliftsx2
    Chinupsx3
    Military pressx1
    Squatsx2

Wednesday
    Incline Bench pressx2
    Bent Rowsx3
    Leg Pressx3
    Db shoulder pressx2
    STDL'sx2

Friday
    Flat BB bench pressx3
    Deadliftsx2
    Military pressx1
    Chinupsx3
    Squatsx2

8-10 reps for a month or so. Then you could play around with the rep scheme a little bit by doing heavy reps on mondays and fridays and light reps on wednesdays.
    Awesome, just a few things though. Would it be ok to do db lunges in place of leg presses? My gym currently doesn't have the equipment to do pulls and chins (they are suppose to be getting some new equipment in soon though), would it be ok to put pull downs in their place for now? Finally if I wanted to add in direct calf, trap, bicep, and tricep work where should I add it in at? Thanks in advance.

its ok to switch exercises, but all that isolation work really isn't necessary. if you really really want to do it just do a single set of each.

Lunges are good.
    You can do db/bb rows instead of chins
    No. Isolation work will lead to overtraining. No need to isolate when you are using the tris for presses and bi's for back every other day.

You can do db/bb rows instead of chins
    Sorry, dont agree. You can use a lat pull down instead of chins, but really you need to do them if you can. Even if you need a bit of help for the first few weeks or so.
    Last edited by Max0d; 03-24-2004 at 11:27 AM.

I don't think you need to do full body. 3 days a week works out perfectly for a push/pull/legs split. You don't have to be advanced to split things up differently.

At least if you focus on fewer muscles, you don't have to spend half your workout warming each of them up. If you focus on 2 or 3 muscles a workout you can be more efficient.

The only reason I'd see a full body workout 3 times a week as beneficial, is if you are learning form on all these things and need to be doing it repetitively to reinforce good technique. If you are comfortable with the exercises you choose, then I don't see why you would want to train full body that way.

But whatever keeps you coming back is what's best.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

i think the split is just easier for beginners in general, cuz it's more focused on a couple exercises for one or two body parts. try it and if it's not working or something, switch it up to full body. i've been doing a modded WBB#1 and it seems to be working pretty good so far.

yeah nothing can replace chins/pullups. that is the shiznit yo!

I never said anything replaced chins, but if you don't have anything to do them on you really can't do them. Yes, a tree, a set of monkey bars, an attachment to a door, ect. ect. ect. will work. But, if he cannot do any of this then he can do bb and db rows on that day again. As for the full workout, it would be ok. A better full body workout is an HST program. It's what you prefer and what works for you that matters most. I have most beginners doing a fullbody without going to failure. The first few months should be set aside for working on perfect form and doing relatively light weights to get the body used to doing the motions. Jumping into workouts that go to failure right from the get-go could lead to an injury.