The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Drinking and Cheat Day

Usually I drink about 6-8 beers on Friday night. I always make Friday my cheat day but many times I feel kinda weak on Saturday along with my stomach sometimes being upset.

So would it be better to work out on Friday and eat good all day, then drink my beer that night, and make Saturday my rest/cheat day. Not that I would eat to much on Saturday, but Tuna and protein shakes doesnt usually sound good when waking up after drinking. I was once told that drinking on a workout day was a bad idea, so I have tried to stay away from it for the most part. But as long as I got my daily protein and the beer wasn't my post-workout meal, would it be OK?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You are trying to plan your training around your drinking?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I wouldn't train on the day you drink or the day after. The effects it has on hormones can last for some time.

Not to mention, when you're drunk you don't really "sleep", you just sort of control when you pass out. The body rests a little, but you don't get REM sleep... this lack of REM sleep contributes greatly to hangovers (you feel like you didn't get any sleep because you didn't).
    Considering the fact that eating and sleeping are the two most important aspects of this outside the gym... well...
    Also, aren't you cutting? When you drink alcohol, not only are you taking in a bunch of calories, but also your metabolism slows by about 35% while you're metabolizing alcohol... I know it's a cheat day, but still.
    Last edited by RickTheDestroyer; 03-23-2004 at 08:10 AM.

yea I'm cutting, but one time a week drinking 6-8 beers in not much to ask. That is the only cheating I do. I'm not planning my training around drinking. I am trying to figure out how to fit in a drinking day into my weekly schedule. I'm not a pro bb. Yes, I want to look like one, but considering how strict I am with my diet and rountine I wouldnt think one day out of the week to unwind gonna destroy my goals.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    yea I'm cutting, but one time a week drinking 6-8 beers in not much to ask.
    To each his own I guess. I think 6-8 beers might have been the absolute most I had to drink during my 12 weeks of cutting. I would not train on drinking days and typically shy away from training the day after as well.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

What is elite?

The problem is it is not one day. Growth hormone production is reduced to virtually nil 24 hours after drinking. Not to mention the fact that protein synthesis is halted until the alcohol is metabolised.

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy yourself. I think it's important to strike a balance between body building and other, possibly conflicting, activities. All I'm saying is, given the effects of drinking I think it would be a waste of your time to do weight training on the day and the day after.

well if your drinking every week then your not strict with your diet at all. you are embarrassing to lifters. try dropping your drinking down to about once a month. unwinde with a protein shake instead.
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Quote Originally Posted by the one
    well if your drinking every week then your not strict with your diet at all. you are embarrassing to lifters. try dropping your drinking down to about once a month. unwinde with a protein shake instead.

I think it's a little extreme to say that he's "embarrassing to lifters". As many other posters have pointed out, it is important to strike a balance. If you take lifting to the point where it isn't fun anymore, than there isn't any point to it at all.

Obviously, drinking one night a week and lifting is a lot better than drinking 6 nights a week and sitting on the couch all week. Mic's lifestyle is better than 99.99999% of the population's is, and he has my respect for that.

just b/c its better than most doesnt mean its good for lifting, once a week is too mcuh in my oppinion. especially since he said he wants to look like a pro.
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

If I had to choose, I would workout and have some food before drinking and take the next day off when you are feeling like ****.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

I think the suggestion that drinking will impair one's training and using that study to back it up is misleading.

If the study is referencing chronic alcoholism, or the ingestion of large quantities of alcohol on a chronic basis, there is a big difference between that and recreational use, or occasional binging. You just can't compare the two.

If you looked at the top 10% of athletes in all sports, I am willing to bet that 80% or more of them consume alocohol with some frequency. That is evidence enough to me that moderate consumption is not a hinderence to one's training.
    - Chris Mason

I've been training for over a year and I doubt I've went more than two weeks in that time period without a night of drinking. On the days I drink, I cut back total calories to allow for the extra beer calories. I eat high protein/low carb all day and then have my 6-8 beers, followed by tons of water and some Vit. B & C, then go to bed. Usually I escape without a hangover but sometimes they are unavoidable. I have seen amazing results in my time training. They have slowed up recently but I highly doubt that is due to the drinking, most likely I am just not seeing the quicker gains because I'm not longer a beginner.

Point is, I love bbing. I eat incredible strict all week and I NEVER miss a workout. I VERY VERY seldom cheat with food. So the absolute only thing I do that has any negative effect on training is have a few drinks with the friends/lady on Friday night. Considering I am not in bb to make money or win prizes, and only for improving my body/health/strength, I cannot see how this is a huge problem. And I really doubt I am "embarrassing" to bodybuilders because I bet MOST bodybuilders drink too. Maybe not around comp time, but they are humans as well. All work and no play = trouble. I am 21 years old. Most of my friends eat fast food, smoke pot, and drink like sailors. I am the oddball because I actually care about health. I think that is something to be proud of. And to be torn down for relaxing once a week is not my idea of constructive advice.
    Last edited by Mic Soloist; 03-23-2004 at 09:48 AM.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    I think it's a little extreme to say that he's "embarrassing to lifters". As many other posters have pointed out, it is important to strike a balance. If you take lifting to the point where it isn't fun anymore, than there isn't any point to it at all.

Obviously, drinking one night a week and lifting is a lot better than drinking 6 nights a week and sitting on the couch all week. Mic's lifestyle is better than 99.99999% of the population's is, and he has my respect for that.

Thank you.... that was my only point. Even Arnold had his fair share of beer. Of course he had freakish genetics and was on steriods, but still.......
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Good point.

I'd say train on friday before you go out, and enjoy your saturday off.

Or, take both days off, if that fits your schedule.

(I'm coming from the perspective that drinking enough to screw up your workout is probably quite a bit of drinking - I can drink 6 beers on Saturday night and make it to the gym just fine on Sunday afternoon, but if it hampered getting to the gym every week, I'd change something.)
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

just b/c its better than most doesnt mean its good for lifting, once a week is too mcuh in my oppinion. especially since he said he wants to look like a pro.
    I want to look like a 5'11 200-220 pound swole Mofo with about 7-10% BF. But that is my longterm goal.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

If that's the way you feel then you are wasting your time worrying about it. If you aren't training for maximal results then why worry about what one night a week of drinking will do? Eat, drink and be merry.

You are making too big a deal about. Relax and enjoy life.
    What is elite?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Good point.

I'd say train on friday before you go out, and enjoy your saturday off.

Or, take both days off, if that fits your schedule.

(I'm coming from the perspective that drinking enough to screw up your workout is probably quite a bit of drinking - I can drink 6 beers on Saturday night and make it to the gym just fine on Sunday afternoon, but if it hampered getting to the gym every week, I'd change something.)

What if I trained at like noon on Friday and had all of my post-workout nutrition and protein throughout the day, then from 10pm that night through 10pm the next night was my cheat day?? Would that be a decent plan?

BTW, for "The One" and others.... I probably will cut back to once every two weeks. But I am planning on adding in a refeed day every 14 days as well, so I dont know how the two would mesh.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    If that's the way you feel then you are wasting your time worrying about it. If you aren't training for maximal results then why worry about what one night a week of drinking will do? Eat, drink and be merry.

You are making too big a deal about. Relax and enjoy life.

good point I suppose. But I really do care a lot about BB. When you change your entire life 6 days a week and basically everything you do in life(besides school, work, ect.) is keeping your goal in mind, I consider that a big deal. I seriously eat/breathe/sh-t bodybuilding. If 90% of my time is spent focusing on my bodybuilding goal I feel like I am trying to get at least close to maximal results. Juice will never be an option for me, so I know I'm not gonna look like Jay Cutler anytime soon. But Vin Diesal or even a slightly smaller version of The Rock is a possibility with time. I want to be a big ass dude, but I realize I wont ever be at the Arnold Classic. I love bball too, but I'm never gonna be in the NBA Finals, you feel me?
    Last edited by Mic Soloist; 03-23-2004 at 10:04 AM.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    What if I trained at like noon on Friday and had all of my post-workout nutrition and protein throughout the day, then from 10pm that night through 10pm the next night was my cheat day?? Would that be a decent plan?

BTW, for "The One" and others.... I probably will cut back to once every two weeks. But I am planning on adding in a refeed day every 14 days as well, so I dont know how the two would mesh.
    That would be just fine.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

i just have diff priorities i guess. no biggie

i have to say i support mic. one day a week is not going to keep him from his goals. you can't have everything in life, and partying one night a week and still having good training results are compatible. sure he might not get there as quickly but you have to look at teh cost/benefit.

i think people here are too quick to demonize alcohol just to set themselves up as superior to those who indulge because they deny themselves the fun. i think these people just have problems having fun and feel guilty. stop being so obsessed.

im ont sure if that comment was directed at me but e9ther way i have plenty of fun, i just dont compromise my lifting goals to do it. i dont feel guilty at all i know whats important to me, i can still go to a party with my girl and hangout with all my buddies and have fun without gettin ****faced.

im ont sure if that comment was directed at me but e9ther way i have plenty of fun, i just dont compromise my lifting goals to do it. i dont feel guilty at all i know whats important to me, i can still go to a party with my girl and hangout with all my buddies and have fun without gettin ****faced.
    I totally respect that. In fact I admire that in every way. But I'm not gonna call you "an embarrassment to party goers". Ya know?

I drink beer because I enjoy the taste. I don't drink Bus Light and sh-t. I drink crazy German Imports and local Brewpub beers that most people have never heard of. Me drinking beer is like food critics sampling a new cheesecake. That is my hobby and I love drinking beer. Yes, I sometimes get a little drunk, but going out and getting sh-t-faced is not my mission. It was in high school but as I've gotten older I'm not into self punishment as much. I do to much good for my body to harm it that bad on a regular basis. I respect my body, which is why I gave up smoking and all the other drug crap I did back in the day..... or b4 I saw the light I like to call it.

Anyway, no hard feelings.... Thanks for the advice.

-mic-
    Last edited by Mic Soloist; 03-23-2004 at 01:58 PM.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

well then the fact that you gave up drugs and **** in favor of lifting drinking once a week isnt all that bad, but still id recommend dropping it down to once a month maybe 2x a month but not every week, if your serious about your lifting which it seems to be.