Thread: good maker of suits?

clueless wonder

good maker of suits?

Definitely time for me to get a new suit... it seems harder and harder to jam my arms into it each time. Looks like crap with all those wrinkles!

The problem is that the suits I look at don't fit me well. I guess my arms are bigger proportionately to my chest, b/c the suit size that I need to get to fit my arms is too big for my chest

The "athletic cut" sizes don't help either. What do they have different anyways? just more room for the arms?

Am I doomed to having to get tailor made suits? or just buy the bigger size suits and hope that they still look good after they tailor that part?

Any leads on particular manufacturers that have suits that might better fit me?

actually I had a few suits tailor made for me while stationed in okinawa and had them make them a little larger because I knew I was going to be growing.....

I have a good friend who goes through some rather large growth spurts and is a professional man......he has suits fitted for him at dillards and has never once complained about their services....in fact he reccomends buying suits from dillards....go give them a look and tell them what you are after, I am sure they can help you out

if you got the cash go armani and let them cuff your ball sofr perfect measurements
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Wannabebig Member
    For under $500- go with a Raplh Lauren, DKNY, or anything at Macy's/Robinson May or one of those suit broker places....for over 1k- go with a Valentino, Ermengildo Zegna, Lauren Purple Label, Armani....

clueless wonder
    thanks for the suggestions guys. I was more wondering if there was a maker that had a more ideal arm size : chest size ratio so that I could get less alterations done and risk messing the whole look of the suit...

or am I just better off getting the exact measurements and having the suit made from there? I'm beginning to think thats the way..

I'm already dreading renting a tux for my wedding.. I know that they have adjustable suits, but I still wonder if they'll have anything that will look good on me. I'd buy a tux, but I don't go to enough events that require one to substantiate the cost.

I've never heard of an arm/chest ratio issue.

Most people will do fine buying a suit off the rack, then having it altered, although a custom suit might be your only hope ($$$).

I don't wear a suit to work, thank goodness, but do have to own one, as we all do, for weddings, funerals, job interviews, and swanky parties.

My problem is that most suits have a srop of 8 inches (diff between chest measurement and waist measurement)... and athletic cut may have a drop of 10 inches. Alterations can only be done for a couple of inches on the waist before you end up having to remake the pants.

My chest size (48 or 50, depending on the jacket), athletic cut, leaves me with pants with a 40-42 inch waist. I had them altered to 36 (which was pushing it), and wear suspenders and don't take the jacket off.

As an aside, I tried to buy suit separates (a great economical way to buy suits if you are on a budget or are a strange size... They didn't have athletic cut jackets, and to get one that fit my shoulders, the middle made me look like I was wearing a tent.... I could literally button the jacket around me AND my wife.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

clueless wonder
    Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    I've never heard of an arm/chest ratio issue.

Most people will do fine buying a suit off the rack, then having it altered, although a custom suit might be your only hope ($$$).

Maybe I'm just paranoid.... Last time I had a suit tailored to fit me, they told me it would look fine once they had taken in some of the material in the back and then it would fit me.... I go back and it looks like crap... and then they tell me that they'll have to do some "other" alterations to make it look again and then would have to charge me more money. tuttut

I spoke to the store manager and got the extra alterations for free and got 20% off my original price.

Thanks for the info on the things you encountered when you were picking out suits to fit your physique.

lol pauly i know what you mean i wear a 50 long and my pants are altered to the fullest yet i have to gain some weight to fit them properly(i wear this suit i winter ass it is black and im less likely to tkae the jacket off
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL