The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Hi all - Could do with a hand :)

I could do with some nice advice on my routine. I've been doing this for around a month now and definatly noticed improvment in muscle definition, but no real size incrase. I try to stay away from any excercises that go over head, or put strain on the back, because I cant hold the form and have a sore back for days later.
    Im currently 5"7 and 9 1/2stonne.
    I'm trying to add muscle-mass, and build up my shoulders, arms, chest and abs. Here's the workout -

Monday (Bedroom Training)
    (Chest)
    Bench Press
    Incline Press
    Dumbell Press
    Pullups (not sure about that one)

(Stomach)
    Tipraise
    Crunch
    Situp
    Twisted Crunch

Wednesday (Bedroom Training)
    (Shoulders)
    Front raise
    Front dumbell raise
    Barbell Upright
    Pushups (not sure about that one)

(chest)
    Bench Press
    Incline Press
    Dumbell Press
    Pullups (not sure about that one)

Friday (Only time I have to head down the gym)
    (Arms)
    Bench Press
    Cable Pushdown
    Underhand cable curl
    Barbell Curls
    Hammer Curls (think thats the name)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm always impressed and inspired by paraplegics who train with weights.

Keep at it, man!
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 03-24-2004 at 12:52 PM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

you have to train you legs too, you can't just train the top half

squats and deadlifts will help you gain mass, do a search, read the articles on the main site, and eat more food
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys . Im reluctant to work on my legs, because they are quite beefy as they are (years of running up and down the stairs ). I have real probs doing deadlifts because I get a bad back afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Maybe I missed something, but where did he say this?
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Maybe I missed something, but where did he say this?

Paul was being sarcastic since the kid didn't have any leg exercises(hence the paraplegia j/k).
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

Damnit! Paul makes a sarcastic comment about as often as Halley's Comet is visible from earth and I totally missed it!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

He doesn't train his legs, so I figured he doesn't have legs, or is unable to train them due to a spinal injury of some sort.

Now that we know I was wrong, we know why he's not getting bigger, don't we?

9.5 stone, what is that in pounds? 133 or so?

Train your legs.

What's wrong with your back? An injury?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    He doesn't train his legs, so I figured he doesn't have legs, or is unable to train them due to a spinal injury of some sort.

Now that we know I was wrong, we know why he's not getting bigger, don't we?

9.5 stone, what is that in pounds? 133 or so?

Train your legs.

What's wrong with your back? An injury?
    I have very large carfs from my cross country running a year or so ago.
    There's nothing wrong with my back, but I cant keep the from when doing any overhead weights, like deadlifts and things like that. My back arches inwards and then hurts like hell the day after.

I'm not sure what "carfs" are, but you still need to train your legs. At 5'7 and 133 pounds, I doubt your "carfs" are that big. Also, by avoiding exercises that target your core and lower back, you are selling yourself short. You need to train your body as a unit or you'll be disappointed with your progress.

If your back has excessive pain after doing the movements you mentioned, you either
    1) used bad form
    2) used too much weight
    3) have a problem with your back

So which is it?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I don't know about you, but deadlifts don't involve any overhead weights when I do them. Neither does leg press, or something like a hack squat machine.

I think all of these will help you out. I'd add in some back extensions and some heavy ab work as well and build up your core strength, as this seems to be a problem area for you.

Current FFFA Enforcer

howsabout one of you you mods merge his identical thread in the diet forum (http://64.191.89.22/showthread.php?t=45030) with this one
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

One thread is about diet and the other is about training. :P But maybe smoove can start using descriptive subjects on his posts from here on out.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by smoove.
    I have very large carfs from my cross country running a year or so ago.
    There's nothing wrong with my back, but I cant keep the from when doing any overhead weights, like deadlifts and things like that. My back arches inwards and then hurts like hell the day after.
    Do some back exercise too, will help with form!

Quagmire wannabe

Keep at it, man!
    LOL

Its always good to read postings in which people dont train their legs. There is sure to be some smart arse comments going their way!

Like the others have said train your legs. And training doesnt include walking, or cross country running etc. It involves squats, hack squats, calf raises, SLDL etc. I would be very suprised if your calves are 'bulky' as you put it. And what about your quads??

Train your legs as well and as hard as the rest of your body, and you will thank us for the advice later.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

Keep at it, man!
    LOL I had to re-read his first post to get it
    "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
    - Timothy Ferriss

"Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity."
    - Colin Powell

ROFL, first reply had me in tears. You know what I think? I think you just want to have the massive chest and arms, but don't really care about your lowerbody. This is what I think. All you care about is beach work. If you actually do gain any muscle at all by neglecting your legs in the first place, you will end up looking like a damn light bulb. Sorry if I may seem as coming across rather harsh. I'm getting incredibly tired of people making up bogus excuses on why not to work their legs.
    1) I train my legs when having sex
    2) I work and stand a lot
    3) I ran in track 5 years ago so I worked them out pretty well back then

Too gain good muscle mass and have a proportionate body you have to work your legs. I consider all around muscle gains progress, not a large upper body held up by a couple of sticks. Point being, work your damn legs.

Last edited by NaturalBuilder; 03-25-2004 at 09:07 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBuilder
    ROFL, first reply had me in tears. You know what I think? I think you just want to have the massive chest and arms, but don't really care about your lowerbody. This is what I think. All you care about is beach work. If you actually do gain any muscle at all by neglecting your legs in the first place, you will end up looking like a damn light bulb. Sorry if I may seem as coming across rather harsh. I'm getting incredibly tired of people making up bogus excuses on why not to work their legs.
    1) I train my legs when having sex
    2) I work and stand a lot
    3) I ran in track 5 years ago so I worked them out pretty well back then

Too gain good muscle mass and have a proportionate body you have to work your legs. I consider all around muscle gains progress, not a large upper body held up by a couple of sticks. Point being, work your damn legs.

Ok guys can you shutup about making excuses lol :P
    I'll take your advice and train my legs, just because you think its worth it, but when I get a digi cam, I'll take a few pics to prove its not lame ass excuses, like your all certain about

Wannabebig Member
    Paul

OH MAN that was too funny ha ha ha ha