Thread: How much do you guys spend on food per day while bulking?

Wannabebig Member

How much do you guys spend on food per day while bulking?

Just curious

I've never eaten anything close to 3500 calories a day before, and I'm wondering how much its going to cost when I start bulking (poor student and alll that). Currently I only spend around $6-7 on average.
    Last edited by poohat; 03-24-2004 at 05:47 PM.

Usually $15-20 when I go as high as 5000 cals. I'm in maintenance mode for the moment and I'm spending about $13-15.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

$15-20 sounds about right for me, too. I forgot how spendy bulking can be. I guess that's one of the few good things about cutting.

Wannabebig Member
    Woah, thats a lot. What does most of it go on? I was thinking that if I were deliberately buying 'cheap' foods (rice/oats/pasta/tuna/whey) rather than lots of expensive stuff like chicken, it would be possible to get around 4000 decent calories for ~$10. Is this wildly inaccurate?

I guess anything is possible, bulking doesn't have to be expensive. But I like to enjoy my bulking. Most of the money goes towards beef, milk, ice cream ... potatoes and veggies are pretty cheap.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    If you can get by now at 6-7 bucks a day, no reason you can't continue that bulking. I am aiming for $5 a day but may end up running closer to 7 due to indulgences.

1/2 the cost is protein (~$90 per month minimum)

I go with BSL Milk protein isolate, cheap whey, soy isolate, tuna, and poultry/beef if on sale for $2 a pound. Cheapest deals are the milk isolate, soy and whey since they aren't direct meat.

I figured at 200 grams of protein a day, that is three bucks that I can't get around easily. Everything else save the veggies and fruit is cheap and you can buy them for thier micronutrient content rather than as a calorie source aiming for variety over quantity.

Bulking is usually cheaper than cutting for me since diet foods are expensive and I have an unending appetite.

-Cardinal
    Last edited by Cardinal; 03-24-2004 at 08:40 PM.

tuna is very cheap, whey etc is pretty expensive by comparison
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

Wannabebig Member
    I'd have to say about $150 a week, given that bulking leads to more than a few cheat meals per week!!

If i didn't have food at home, i would spend roughly 100$ a day on food. Not counting protein bars and shakes.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

On my last bulk I was eating 5400 cals and over 400g of protein. I would say it averaged at about 10-12 dollars. I'm currently cutting and probably get by most days on less than 4 dollars a day. (quit my ghetto ass job)
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST