The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Shrugs?

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Shrugs?

I am currently doing shrugs with 2 85 pound DB's. I was doing them with a 225 pound BB but it just didnt feel like I was hitting the traps as well with the DB as I was with the shrugs. I really wanna hit my traps and I think I'm doing the shrugs right but I gotta couple questions.

1. Is 85 pounds enough for me to be doing at my size(5'11 167)? I feel I could do a little more but the DB's in my gym only go up to 85.

2. Do ya'll pause at the top of the shrug and hold it or do you do one continued motion?

3. How far back do you push your shoulders or do you just shrug from the natural position?

4. Is there any difference/advantage/disadvantage of doing shrugs with DB or BB?

Any other shrug info would be good. My traps are looking aiiiight but I need to hit them harder than I currently am.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DAMN IT!!!

I posted this in the wrong place. Please move this thread....

SORRY
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

What kind of gym supports DBs that only go up to 85 lbs they mus be cheap
    I pause for 2 seconds before going back down
    I hear if you pull back your shoulders while doing shrugs you hit your clavicles good
    With DBs the shrugs are more flexible With BB you can only hold it in front of you or behind you

Country Boy

I pause briefly

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    I am currently doing shrugs with 2 85 pound DB's. I was doing them with a 225 pound BB but it just didnt feel like I was hitting the traps as well with the DB as I was with the shrugs. I really wanna hit my traps and I think I'm doing the shrugs right but I gotta couple questions.

1. Is 85 pounds enough for me to be doing at my size(5'11 167)? I feel I could do a little more but the DB's in my gym only go up to 85.

I say whatever you can handle w/ good form

2. Do ya'll pause at the top of the shrug and hold it or do you do one continued motion?

I pause briefly

3. How far back do you push your shoulders or do you just shrug from the natural position?

Stand str8; I don't let my shoulders roll foward or back

4. Is there any difference/advantage/disadvantage of doing shrugs with DB or BB?

I would think that DB's would give you a better range of motion

Any other shrug info would be good. My traps are looking aiiiight but I need to hit them harder than I currently am.
    Nothing I can really think of; on occasion I do reverse shrugs..barbell held in back.Supposedly brings out more shape to it.Hope any of this helps.

Shrugs are only going to hit the I and II traps if you're doing them right, so it really doesn't matter what form you use, but personally I'd do what's going to be the most efficient, which is leaving the shoulders neutral.

ROM really isn't that important for the traps; once you get to a certain point your body will actually start to distort under the weight and using a ROM that would be considered "full" isn't possible. They do however respond very well to overload, for which barbell shrugs can't be beat. As long as the bar's moving, it counts. I haven't ever bothered with db shrugs.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by kensterz
    What kind of gym supports DBs that only go up to 85 lbs they mus be cheap
    they are the "Jewish Community Center"

cheap is their nature.....

lol, just jokin. No offense to my WWB Jews out there. It's a very nice facility but they only have DBs up to 85. There arent a ton of huge dudes who work out there so I gues I they figure thats enough.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

I have always done mine with a pause at the top adn stretch at the bottom and straight up and down don't roll the shoulders back thats the way i learned them, but a squeeze at the top would be ok

also, you can hit them by taking a narrow grip on the barbell, and pulling it up to almost under you chin. That hits mine a little bit.
    "Color outside the lines"

Meh, my school only has up tp 100 pound dumbbells. It sucks, I'll have to go else where to lift.

Have you tried the standing calf raise machine??? I think im getting good results with that

Also have you tried using the dual cable machine, putting the cable origins at the lowest point and just pulling them up?? Pulling them in at an angle seems to get a good burn