Thread: benefits of decline bench press?

benefits of decline bench press?

i've been doing decline bench for my chest, and i don't really know why

i like it and all, but i was wondering what advantages and disadvantages decline has compared to flat and incline.

what do you guys think about this often neglected exercise?

i like to hit incline/flat/decline with either BB or DB's in every workout its all good.. i mean by hitting it from different angles your attacking more muscle fibers or atleast attacking the same ones a different way - can't hurt to spice it up a little... use a few exercises for like a month - then throw in a surprise like some flies or cable work then more surprises - the more you attack the muscle in different ways the more you'll spur growth

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Quote Originally Posted by Jotosuds
    i've been doing decline bench for my chest, and i don't really know why

i like it and all, but i was wondering what advantages and disadvantages decline has compared to flat and incline.

what do you guys think about this often neglected exercise?
    The only thing I can tell is that it involves less delts, which could possibly mean more emphasis on the chest? (just a guess)
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

Decline bench is fairly useless in comparison. Flat benching in a PL style is basically the same thing, and it makes the time to deal with a decline setup pretty worthless, imho.

Do dips instead. They're more fun, definately more functional, look way cooler, and are a drastically different pushing angle, and I agree with dxiw that using different angles is a "good idea" (tm).

It's a useless exersize in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Decline bench is fairly useless in comparison. Flat benching in a PL style is basically the same thing, and it makes the time to deal with a decline setup pretty worthless, imho.

Do dips instead. They're more fun, definately more functional, look way cooler, and are a drastically different pushing angle, and I agree with dxiw that using different angles is a "good idea" (tm).
    I agree. Just do dips.

why would they be "useless". If the chest was meant to move weight at that angle, with the least involvement of delts and tris, wouldnt you say its better than flat? Even if you have to add more weight to compensate..

Actually, it involves the triceps much more.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Because decline basically equals PL style bench, so sure go ahead and do declines, but don't make a point to weait for the decline bench or whatever.

IMHO, you're best off doing dips, flat and mil. press.

If you think about how low your elbows go in comparison with flat bench, it is effectively like doing half-reps on flat bench, hence you can do more weight and you involve your triceps much more.

This is how i see it...

newb
    I do decline instead of dips because my gym does not have the belt thing that lets you do weighted dips and regular ones I can do like 30 of per set.
    Weight: 190
    Bench: 255x1
    Squat: 225x8 (still working up to 1rm)
    Dead: 335x1

Quote Originally Posted by rerard
    I do decline instead of dips because my gym does not have the belt thing that lets you do weighted dips and regular ones I can do like 30 of per set.
    This is definately a legit reason to do some decline.

However, nothing beats dips! I recommend getting about 6' of tubular webbing for about $2 from a hardware or outdoor store, and tying it to a weight belt to add weight.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    This is definately a legit reason to do some decline.

However, nothing beats dips! I recommend getting about 6' of tubular webbing for about $2 from a hardware or outdoor store, and tying it to a weight belt to add weight.
    or just do what i did eat and get heavier and do them at the end of your workout there not easy for us fat boys lol

Yeah, i def like dips better than decline. I also use the cable machine, and do like a pressing down motion, hits em pretty hard too.
    "Color outside the lines"

I remember holding a dumbell between my legs doing dips when I could push out 20 at a time with not weight. I agree- decline is more a ego-lift and is dangerous to boot- lifting solo how do you bail out of a missed rep? Incline and flat you can but your melon is in the way if you wanna 'roll' the bar off you. Im doing dips with 55lbs x 10 and at one time couldnt do my own body weight x1 -so something must be working.
    As was told to me when I asked- ninjas do dips. So should you. yeah!

hows it an ego lift? no one does it.

hey mix, what's a PL style bench? powerlifting?

i dunno. i'l probably start doing flat bench and stuff soon too, but for now it seems to be working my chest pretty good. and i take it at a wide grip, so my triceps aren't involved too much.

i do gotsta start doing dips though...