The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Currently on weight watchers program but starting weight training.

Hi,

I am currently on the weight watchers program but I want to start weight training. If I start weight training should I ditch the weight watchers program?

I get 25 points a day on weight watchers. In case anyone is wondering about the points you get certain points for different foods. You can eat whatever as long as you dont go over 25 points. For example a banana is 2 points, 1 slice bread is 1 point, skinless chicken breast is 4 points, etc etc... I have been on it one week and have lost 4 pounds. I started at 212 lbs and now I am 208. I am 6 feet tall.

The workout routine is moderate to light. Nothing like a hardcore bodybuilding routine or anything. Would it slow progress by staying on the weight watchers plan or should I get off and just watch what I eat? I wont blow up like a balloon or anything if I get off the plan it is just that I have been around this weight for a long time and I just wanted to get into better shape and perhaps wear my old 34 inch waste jeans again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit::The weight training program is 3 times a week and aimed at basketball. The link to it is http://coachlikeapro.tripod.com/basketball/id3.html just in case anyone wanted to check it out.

Thanks
    Last edited by Chad22; 03-25-2004 at 04:27 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you need to just eat a decent cutting diet with counted calories and a good distribution of protein, fat and carbs.. don't expect much gym gains without bulking though... do some reading on here about cutting diets and post specific questions if u have

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

weight watchers, is probably too few calories and not enough protein, read the diet and nutrition articles on the main site it's a very 80s style low fat high carb effort.

there are better diets around
    Last edited by prof; 03-26-2004 at 07:44 AM.
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

CNN had a report on weight watchers about 4 months ago.
    It said that weight watchers members that have been with the program for >1 year have lost on average 2lbs per year...
    if that doesn't make you change your mind about the program then I don't know what will

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    CNN had a report on weight watchers about 4 months ago.
    It said that weight watchers members that have been with the program for >1 year have lost on average 2lbs per year...
    if that doesn't make you change your mind about the program then I don't know what will
    I have lost 4 lbs in one week on the weight watchers plan. I got on it after my friend lost 20 lbs in about 4 months. It does work but I have totalled up my caloric intake over the past few days and it has averaged around 1200 total. Before I started the plan I probably drank about 4 cokes a day and ate junkfood all the time. I was probably hitting 4000+ calories a day and not really exercising. I have also checked my protein count and it is also very low. It has been around 50 grams per day on average. I think I will start eating more tuna and egg whites or something to get more protein.

I have decided to stop the weight watchers plan and just start counting calories and protein intake. I dont really know enough about dieting to trying and keep up with carbs and all the other things that come along with it. I was thinking of allowing myself 2000 calories a day and trying for at least 125g of protein per day. The protein may still be low but I cant afford to but whey right now and it would be hard for me to get up to 1g per pound of body weight at this point.

Maybe I am doomed to failure but I am going to give it a shot anyway.

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by Chad22; 03-26-2004 at 10:04 AM.

good luck.
    try dietorganizer.com
    it should make the world of counting calories much easier for you

Weight Watchers in my opinion works only because you're eating less. But that's basically what a cutting diet forces you to do. Why not just start on a cutting diet...it's essentially the same just more specific to you and your metabolic needs.

Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    When I first began weightlifting, I'd been on Weight Watchers for a few months. The program was very effective and I had lost about 15lbs. The amount I was eating was enough to satisfy my hunger until I picked up the weights. Then I felt hungry all the time, and not just mildly. My stomach was hurting for more food.

I believe Weight Watchers is a great program for someone interested in losing weight. I don't think it's as good for someone who only wants to lose fat. Weight Watchers will likely cost you more of your lean mass than a good cutting diet. You'll need to ramp up your caloric intake if you want to hit the weights.