The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

light day heavy day reps

When should one alternate between lifing heavy (low rep) and lifting light with low reps. Ive been going heavy for about month and now my bench press is starting to fall off a bit...how often should I alternate between light and heavy? any tips?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I split my bench routine into a heavy day on monday and dynamic day on thursday. If your benching twice a week you should do one heavy and one light day.

Your bench press is starting to fall off? That does not sound good. How's your diet? What does your workout look like? If you have been on this routine for a while and have seen your gains come to a stand still it is time to change it up. You should change your rep scheme and routine when your gains stop. Just because a routine brought you gains does not mean you should stay on it when it stops working for you. Don't be afraid to change it up when you feel that your progress has stopped. You need to check your diet and workout. By falling off do you mean progress is slowing down to a snails pace or do you mean that you are actually losing pounds/kilograms on your bench press?

Wannabebig Member
    My progress has come to a complete stand still, I used to rep 225 pounds three times..now it has gone to barely one. My diet has stayed the same along with my weight. I am just getting weaker I think maybe it maybe time to switch up my routine. But to what? Maybe start doing shoulders and chest and tri's together,..I usally have a seperate day for shoulders and legs and I do back and bi's together along with tri's and chest. Its pissing me off because I workout very hard...yet nothing seems to come from it anymore. I have tried new things to get better results in the past but it doesn't seem to do anything. I come back to my usual routine and I find that I'm weaker than I used to be!! ex military press and sitting dumbell press. Did military for two weeks went back to sitting down and ten pounds weaker!!! with no visible difference in muscle size or structure. What I need is an example diet plan and or example workout plan that has an option A and an option B that I can switch up every few weeks to try and get out of this rut that I have been in for the past nine- ten months....I've had no progress.
    Also if someone could post a meal plan that won't make me too fat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gettingthere
    My progress has come to a complete stand still, I used to rep 225 pounds three times..now it has gone to barely one. My diet has stayed the same along with my weight. I am just getting weaker I think maybe it maybe time to switch up my routine. But to what? Maybe start doing shoulders and chest and tri's together,..I usally have a seperate day for shoulders and legs and I do back and bi's together along with tri's and chest. Its pissing me off because I workout very hard...yet nothing seems to come from it anymore. I have tried new things to get better results in the past but it doesn't seem to do anything. I come back to my usual routine and I find that I'm weaker than I used to be!! ex military press and sitting dumbell press. Did military for two weeks went back to sitting down and ten pounds weaker!!! with no visible difference in muscle size or structure. What I need is an example diet plan and or example workout plan that has an option A and an option B that I can switch up every few weeks to try and get out of this rut that I have been in for the past nine- ten months....I've had no progress.
    Also if someone could post a meal plan that won't make me too fat!!

Ok, it now seems fairly clear to me that you are overtraining. If you are losing strength while keeping your diet the same then there is really big possibility that you are overtraining. Less is more, remember this. When progress comes to a stand still many lifters try to add more sets, more reps, and they end up sliding down into a tailspin where they are steadily losing strength.
    First)-take at least 9 days off from lifting. This is the minimum amount of time it will take for your muscles to properly heal.
    Second)-If you are trying to gain muscle you are going to have to bulk. When you pass the newb stage there are only two options. Bulk and gain muscle with fat. Or cut, which is burning fat while preserving as much muscle as possible. Increase your daily caloric intake by 500 calories each week until you start gaining around .5lb of bodyweight per week. I cannot give you a diet that will not add a little fat unless you are on the juice. Try to get most of your calories from healthy foods that your body needs, not from sweets, junkfood, and sodas.
    Third)-Switch your routine up. Change the rep scheme you were on, change some of the exersizes, and don't go overboard. Try one of the wanabebig routines, they work well. I'll post you my current routine.

Monday: Chest/Triceps
    BB bench pressx3
    Incline Db pressx3
    Flat bench fliesx3
    Skull Crushersx2
    Close grip Bench pressx2

Wednesday: Legs
    Squatsx3
    SLDLx3
    DB lungesx3
    Leg curlsx3
    Deadliftsx2

Friday: Back/bis/shoulders
    Chinupsx3 bodyweight (1 set widegrip)
    Bending Barbell Rowsx3
    lat pulldownsx3
    military pressx2
    db pressx2 (superset with military press for a total of 2 sets per exersize)
    front barbell raisesx2
    barbell curlsx2

Wannabebig New Member
    Listen up bro , take a little rest , change your workout . Go light for a bit , then jump back into some heavy sh*t . You need to go light every now and then .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Sorry if this has been mentioned (didn't read the other posts). But if you continuously max or near max with a given exercise, you will eventually find it difficult to continue progressing. There are a couple ways to defeat this. You can either take a break or drop your weight down and rep for a few weaks, or you can also change up your exercise every few weeks, but continue to max out on that exercise. The key though is that the rotation of exercises should be similar, or the same but different ranges of motion.

I think if you simply stopped flat benching for 2 or 3 weeks and replaced it with moderate weight using dumbells, maybe on an incline, you could probably come back to flat bench and work up to a higher max after a few more weeks of training that way.

It's best to experiment a bit and see how your body responds. I know I was stuck on flat bench for a long time, and then took a very long time off (3 months, not intentionally) and then came back just slowly working up with reps, and can now beat my previous personal best. This is an extreme case, but it shows that a break, or break from heavy reps in a particular exercise can help break a plateau.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer