The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 101 of 279 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 6957
    Sounds good man, take care of those wrists though if your not used to being that wide, KILL EM AT THE TOURNEY MAN!

yeah some may have been doing this coming out the womb but thats just gonna make it more satisfying when you stomp them

Always think positive bro, you can awalys find something negative about a situation bro. You know this and you also know your gonna kick some major ass
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Thanks for the support guys. Here's the rundown on how things went.

Got there Friday night and weighed in. Found out that there was WELL over a 100 competitors at this years tournament, and that there were 16 in my bracket alone. I made weight, so I was relieved. Got there in the morning expecting to compete fairly soon, so I only ate a light breakfast. Well, 12 rolls around, and I haven't competed yet. I stretch out again and choose not to eat, because I'm sure I'll be up soon, and I don't want all that on my stomach. Well 2 rolls around and still not grappling for me. By now I'm getting a bit pissed but still KNOW that I've gotta be up soon, so no food. Well 4:15 comes, and I FINALLY get on the mat. By now, I've got 8hrs with no food and only 8oz to drink, and I've been on my feet for the last 6hrs watching everybody else compete. I was THE last prelim match of the day. Honestly, by the time I got to the mat, I'd lost all focus and intensity. The day had just sucked everything from me. To make things short, in my first tourney, I lost. I wasn't submitted, but the guy won by points. He came to about my chin and was in my weight class, so that guy was STRONG. I gassed so quickly it wasn't funny. I was able to stuff his takedown and pull guard, but wasted all my energy trying to keep him in my guard. He was a 4 stripe white belt, which means probably in the next month or so he'll make the jump to blue belt. Technique wise, I didn't feel threatened with him, but I just gassed for some reason and couldn't do anything with him. I mean I'm happy I only lost by points to a far better grappler than I, but I still hate to lose. The match went all 5min and I'll try and get the footage up soon.

Notes:

1. MUST eat. I'm pretty sure this is why I gassed like I did. I think if I had ate something, I'd have made it a much more interesting match.

2. My conditioning sucked major ass compared to some of the guys there. I must get better.

3. I must either get a lot stronger, or maintain strength and drop to a lower weight class. Welter weight is too much in the middle to be a weak fighter. Must fix this.

4. The pace is much faster and more intense in a tournament than I expected. I know this now and it won't take my by surprise.

5. There are some sandbagging sons of bitches, but oh well.

6. First tournament jitters out of the way. I'm confident that I'll now go into each tourney with a different mindset.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Good job on competing none the less! I'd vote for get stronger

Risk- Haha thanks man. I dunno what I'm going to do. If I decide to get stronger, I've got to work it in with getting my conditioning up, which is gonna be tough lol.

Here's a link to the match. Should be a quicker download than usual. http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...782VMQYREXE8QHP

You've done ace to prepare and even enter the comp, props on making the effort - you're number one in my(our) book and don't forget it...the only thing to do is continue with something you like so well and step up in all areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    1. MUST eat. I'm pretty sure this is why I gassed like I did. I think if I had ate something, I'd have made it a much more interesting match.
    I hear you on this one. Next time I plan to bring cashews and snack on those all day. I haven't been eating a lot of carbs lately and my energy level feels great as long as I keep my fat intake sufficient.

4. The pace is much faster and more intense in a tournament than I expected. I know this now and it won't take my by surprise.
    Now you know why I said your sparring looked slow in the first vid you posted.

5. There are some sandbagging sons of bitches, but oh well.
    There are definitely dirty fighters. I took a couple of elbows to the face/head and an eye gouge. I wasn't impressed, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised either.

6. First tournament jitters out of the way. I'm confident that I'll now go into each tourney with a different mindset.
    Good attitude bro!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Coke- Thanks for all the support man, it means a lot.

Ant- Thanks little guy haha.

Didn't feel like squatting today, as my groin was a bit tight, so I did some different lifts.

Location- Hometown Gym

Workout- Good Mornings

Good Mornings:

45lbs x 10
    95lbs x 5
    95lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5

DB Lunges-

30s x 5
    50s x 5

DB Step Ups (box right below knee)-

50s x 5
    50s x 5
    50s x 5
    50s x 5

Limbo Side Lunge-

25s x 5
    25s x 5
    25s x 5
    25s x 5
    25s x 5

Today's workout was quite a bit different than it usually is. I just didn't feel like deep squatting today, so I decided to do some GMs. I could have gone a good bit heavier, but I want to analyze my form a bit before going on with them. All the other work left my legs feeling pretty tight, so even though I didn't go heavy today, I felt like my legs got a fairly decent workout. My grip also got a pretty good workout from all the db lifts.

Nice workout man, solid goodmornings

good job on the GM's.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Kevin- Thanks man. They were light, but I don't wanna go too heavy until I get the form down pat.

Cp- Thanks man.

Wasn't going to post any pics, but I figured I would. I'm sitting at about 176 today, and fairly bloated from all the **** I've been eating the last couple of days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice GM bro. Props for competing and trying hard anyway. At least now you'll stuff yourself being going lol.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Great shape and huge potential bro. I wish I had your focus when I was your age.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    Thats the thing about bjj tourneys: they go all day, and you never fight when you're supposed to. Next time you'll come back stronger, smarter, and better prepared. As for your cardio and strength, the tabata and oly lifts I've been doing have helped me more than anything else on the mat.

Your a scary looking mother f*cker!

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    Your a scary looking mother f*cker!
    ...and it's just the beginning for dude too -

Nice work with the tourney bro. The food, or lack of, im sure played a huge part. That totally sucked that they couldnt have given you a rough idea on when you would be going up.

Pics are looking good.

Now that you got your feet wet I bet you will progress a lot faster and knock em dead next time.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Nick- Thanks bro. I'm really glad I competed, even though I got beat.

Midget- Hahaha thanks short stack, but you ain't much older than me.

Adam- Yea. I'm getting ready to start a 5x5/Crossfit Hybrid that should help my conditioning out.

Risk- Haha, why thank ya man.

Coke- You right.

Eric- Thanks man. I appreciate it. Yea I feel that I'll progress much faster now that I know exactly what needs to be done.

As it stands now, I'm going to be doing a 5x5/Crossfit hybrid. Heavy 5x5 on Monday and Tuesday, with rotating main lifts every week. Then on Wed and Thursday, I'll be doing some Crossfit. The plan right now is to keep eating fairly clean, and make my way up to 185,190, maybe 195 depending on how much bodyfat I'm carrying. It'll be fairly hard with all the BJJ and Crossfit, but I think that will help me stave off any unneccesary fat gains while I put on some weight.

Workout- Speed Bench

Location- Hometown Gym

True Speed Bench: (3 reps less than 3 seconds)

45lbs x 10
    65lbs x 3
    105lbs x 3
    105lbs x 3
    105lbs x 3
    105lbs x 3
    105lbs x 3
    105lbs x 3
    105lbs x 3
    105lbs x 3

Weighted Chins:

BW x 5
    BW +35lbs x 5

Lat Pulldown:

160lbs x 5 (+10lbs)
    160lbs x 5 (+10lbs)
    160lbs x 5 (+10lbs)
    160lbs x 5 (+10lbs)
    160lbs x 5 (+10lbs)

Hammer Curls w/ Rotation:

30s x 5
    30s x 5
    30s x 5
    30s x 5
    30s x 5

Dips:

BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW x 5

Today's structure will be what each Tuesday closely resembles from now on. Because CF doesn't call for too much involving working the chest, I'll be throwing in some light assistance (dips). Also, because CF usually involves quite a bit of chins, I'll be dropping the weighted chins for awhile, and throwing in some type of row, or maybe lat pulldows. Overall the workout today was pretty good. In and out in 45min. Everything felt light. Pretty happy.

BJJ-

Got together with a buddy from class, and we decided each week, that will take one basic manuever, and practice is 50 times before each class. This week it is the hip escape to half guard. This is done on top of the regular stuff from class, but we really wanna get back to the basics and have a very solid foundation. Today's class was just some basic stuff and then we looked at the video from the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Today's structure will be what each Tuesday closely resembles from now on. Because CF doesn't call for too much involving working the chest, I'll be throwing in some light assistance (dips). Also, because CF usually involves quite a bit of chins, I'll be dropping the weighted chins for awhile, and throwing in some type of row, or maybe lat pulldows. Overall the workout today was pretty good. In and out in 45min. Everything felt light. Pretty happy.
    I would just stick with a row of some form, you will be doing a ton of chins with CF like you said.

Nice work on the speed benching bro. Things are looking good.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Practice makes perfect and at that rate you guys will become adept in kicking much butt, lol. The speed work on the bench is crazy, 3 reps within 3 second is unreal...fine effort overall.

great attitude bro, only when you accept defeat are you labeled a loser.. your 5x5 CF hybrid looks intresting, Im looking forward to seeing your progress on this..

good luck drew
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

This BJJ is the best thing you've ever done man. Keeps you in shape and gives you something constructive to do. I like your speed bench, but just solid all around.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits