The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 114 of 284 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 7083
    Good work bro. I found out yesterday my surgery is being rescheduled for early May, so I'll have to bail out of the grappling tournament. That also means there's 0.1% chance I'll land an mma fight in June - although I don't think my standup is quite ready for that yet anyway. On the bright side, I'll be able to attend the fight in Halifax without hobbling around on crutches!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Coke- Thanks man. As always, your comments are very appreciated.

Anthony- Damn bro. I feel for ya. I'll talk to ya tonight about it when I get back from all the classes.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Played a bit of full court basketball before doing my GPP.

Workout: G

Joint Mobility- 22 minutes to complete entire routine

Also did some shadow boxing before leaving. Not much but enough to check out form and to get a bit of a sweat going.

Comment-

Easy workout today, and I'm glad too. My body was a bit sore and I was tired, so I'm glad today called for something easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Joint Mobility- 22 minutes to complete entire routine
    sounds cool -- what do you do?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Mix- Joint Mobility is something Steve Maxwell started awhile back and markets. Basically it's a full body warm up, with emphasis placed on stretching and improving ROM instead of stretching and holding. We use it as our warmup for BJJ, and injurys have dropped a good bit since we started the more intense warm up, as opposed to the random stretching that used to take place.

Rushed to the gym today, as I had to get back sooner than normal to run some errands and ****.

Workout: MW

Crossfit Inspired-

DB Presses, DBs totaling half BW (45s) x 21-18-15-12-9-6-3
    Squats x 3-6-9-12-15-18-21

Rotation goes, presses at 21 then squats at 3, then 18 and 6 and so on and so forth.

Goal: Fast as possible

Time: 9:39

Finished up with 50 1 arm DB Swings (25L/25R) w/ a 45lbs DB.

Comments:

Overall a pretty good workout. I liked this little rotation thing. The first set was unbroken, but because of only 3 squats following the presses, my tris were still shot when I went to the next round. All the rounds were broken for the presses until the last two, in which the squats gave me enough time to def recover. Fairly happy with the performance. Didn't know what to expect before doing it, but I think I came up with a pretty good time.

BJJ:

Worked on some smears and armbars from the mount without sacrificing position. Ended up playing catch at the end which was def fun. Overall a good session.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Mix- Joint Mobility is something Steve Maxwell started awhile back and markets. Basically it's a full body warm up, with emphasis placed on stretching and improving ROM instead of stretching and holding. We use it as our warmup for BJJ, and injurys have dropped a good bit since we started the more intense warm up, as opposed to the random stretching that used to take place.
    Well, I know what it is; I want to know what you do!

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Mix- Well, most of the stretches we do have names that don't really mean anything. I do usually 4 different stretches per body part or so. Most involve multiple muscles, so that was just a number thrown out there. I'll see if I can get the data sheet with all the names, and I'll post it up somewhere.

Weekly Weigh In- 174.2lbs. Up 1lbs from last week.

Had a paintball tourney this weekend. Finished 19 out of 80 teams. Missed Semis by 6pts which is like losing in bowling by 2 pins. So ****ing close. Oh well. Ended up being in a car almost twice as many hours (24) as I slept. I've been tired all day.

Workout: MGW

Crossfit/BJJ Inspired-

10 situps
    8 (4R/4L) Upa Bridge DB Press' with Hip Escape (1/2 BW DBs, 45lbs)
    6 (3R/3L) 1 Arm Swings (45s)

Goal: As many rounds in 20minutes as possible

Score- 17 rounds, 9 situps

Comments:

Pretty damn happy with today. Didn't think I'd set that kind of pace. Beat my last score on this by over 3 complete rounds. Wasn't too hard, just a lot of moving back and forth between lifts. Liked my score on these though, and it gave me a pretty good workout.

Also did a set of close grip chins and two 50m farmer's walks.

The rotation stuff is not too bad at all bro...the crossfit training rounds are off the chain, making easier work of it all.
    Last edited by Coke; 03-28-2006 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks Coke. There's some science behind the rotation, and so far it seems to be working for me.

MGW looks good, but why situps for M? Throw in some sprints or something.

Haha actually I posted the wrong order of letters. I just threw them together because I had 10 different things going on at one moment. I haven't even gone back and looked at what the order should've been. I'm pretty sure since I did this one not too long ago, that I screwed the order up, but oh well, CF will just have to live with it haha.

Damn chubbs you are doing great broseph.. grats on the beating your old Pr on the CF..
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Mase- Thanks bro. I think it had to do a bit with how my RC was feeling better, and I felt like I could push it a bit harder.

Workout: W

*RC Work*

Benchpress-

45lbs x 10
    95lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5

Close Grip Chins-

BW x 5
    BW x 5

Today called for only lifting. I wanted to do a bit of benching, but I didn't want to go heavy just in case it aggravated the RC. I opted for a light 5x5 instead, and also threw in some sets of chins. I had planned on doing another set of chins, but they started to aggravate the shoulder a bit so I decided on calling it quits. Nothing special, but glad to get back on the bench.

Nice to see you back on the bench this way, all signs say go - things are looking up...you'll be kicking butt soon too.
    Last edited by Coke; 03-28-2006 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks Coke.

Workout: MG

GPP-

Full Court Basketball, 1hr

Also practiced some 45lbs thrusters and did some RC work. Just a pretty easy day. I suppose the basketball doesn't really fit for what was called for today, but it gave me a good bit of workout, and I was jumping and driving with my legs a good bit, so oh well.

Woke up this morning and thought about what I was goin to do for the workout at the beach. Decided I'd go ahead and do it before I went to the beach, so I could just chill when I got there. Did this workout right after rolling out of bed and eating breakfast.

Workout: WMG

Crossfit Inspired-

100 Squats
    100 Jabs and Right Straights (50 Jabs, 50 Straights)
    100 Hooks (50 Left Hook, 50 Right Hook)
    100 Situps
    100 Pushups

Goal: For Time

Time: 16:03

Comments-

Not a particularly bad time I don't think. The situps and the pushups were what slowed me down. Arms were shot towards the end of the pushups. I forgot how much shadow boxing gets my heart rate up. Now Anthony will probably come in here and say my workout wasn't following some crazy guideline haha, but I thought it went pretty well. I may tweak it a bit and start adding it in as a regular Fighter's WOD.

Things Are Looking Good Bro.

The impromptu morning crossfit session bodes well for your conditioning as does the hour of basketball the night before...hellacious stuff in such a short time frame - your opponents couldn't even hang, carry on my man, lol.
    Last edited by Coke; 03-30-2006 at 10:15 AM.

Bri- Thanks man.

Coke- Haha, nah it's nowhere near as hardcore as you make it sound.

BJJ:

Classes went pretty well tonight. Went over some headlock escapes in the kids class. Rolled fairly hard in between classes, and got a good workout. We went over working from the Turtle Position in the adult's class. Pretty cool knee bar sitting there if the opponent isn't paying attention. Rolled again at the end of class. Smoked the guy I was rolling with over and over, even though I let him start from the dominant position. I need to start rolling with better guys, or my games gonna suffer.

I bet you have probably a few who are doing great and stand out in either the kids or adult class. I saw on tv just the other day that the Ultimate Fighting season starts up again this coming Thursday, bet you already knew that, lol.

It looks good to me, foo. The only thing I might have changed is doing something with weights for your W. Other than that, kick ass stuff.

Do you play paintball? I remember you mentioning something about it... apparently, I'm off ot play this weekend with a bunch of other CS dorks, but at some fancy place south of Raleigh.

Coke- Haha thanks man. Yea I knew it was coming up; can't wait.

Anthony- Yea I had wanted to do something else for the W, but thought I'd be going to the beach very soon, so I just wanted to make sure I got a pretty good workout in.

Mix- Yea I play competitively. We just traveled to Atlanta for a tournament last weekend. Where in Raleigh are you playing, Triangle Paintball? If you enjoy it, and want to play again, you ought to come out to where I practice. I can hook you up with a better deal on paint and all that so it'll be cheaper on you.

Apparently we're going to Black River which is way the hell far away, but I didn't plan it. Where is triangle paintball?