The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 127 of 284 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 7085
    Nice work on the PR you f-ing sicko

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Anthony- Haha yea yea yea, I got greedy.

Drew- Thanks man, though it's a pitiful pull.

Workout: Kettlebells

(weights in kilograms)

Two Arm Swings x 20 (24s)
    Judo Pulls x 10/10 (24s)
    One Arm Cleans x 10/10 (24s)

Left Hand:
    One Arm Swing x 5 (24s)
    One Arm Snatch x 5 (24s)
    Judo Pull x 5 (24s)
    Clean to Press x 5 (24s)
    Clean x 45 (24s)

Right Hand:
    One Arm Swing x 5 (24s)
    One Arm Snatch x 5 (24s)
    Judo Pull x 5 (24s)
    Clean to Press x 5 (24s)
    Clean x 45 (24s)

Judo Pulls x 10/10 (24s)
    One Arm Clean x 10/10 (24s)

Left Hand:
    One Arm Swing x 5 (24s)
    One Arm Snatch x 5 (24s)
    Judo Pull x 5 (24s)
    Clean to Press x 5 (24s)
    Clean x 45 (24s)

Right Hand:
    One Arm Swing x 5 (24s)
    One Arm Snatch x 5 (24s)
    Judo Pull x 5 (24s)
    Clean to Press x 5 (24s)
    Clean x 45 (24s)

Judo Pulls x 10/10 (24s)
    Single OH Press x 5/5 (24s)
    Singe Bent Row x 5/5 (24s)
    True One Arm Pushup x 5/5
    Single Thruster x 5/5 (24s)
    Single Flat Press x 5/5 (24s)
    Single OH Press x 5/5 (24s)
    Single Bent Row x 5/5 (24s)
    True One Arm Pushup x 5/5
    Single Thruster x 5/5 (24s)
    Single Flat Press x 5/5 (24s)
    Russian Twist x 10/10 (24s)
    Russian Twist x 10/10 (24s)
    Two Arm Swings x 25 (24s)
    BW Squats x 25

Bolded Sections are Giant Sets.

Comments:

Pretty tough workout today, especially on my grip. The giant sets were killer, only because we had to do so many. Body was pretty beat up from the tournament this weekend, which made the thrusters interesting. Pretty stoked I got two sets of 5 on each side of true one hand pushups. Overall a nice solid workout. Also played 1.5hrs of soccer after the workout. Fun stuff.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

your workouts make my head spin dude.. lol

hows the paintball, still playing?
    2000 or bust

Nice job w. the DL!

Can you tell me what a "halo" is? I read about them from time to time, but I've never seen a description about how to do them.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Haha yea yea yea, I got greedy.
    Damn if you ain't got greedy again, lol...I know what don't kills us makes us stronger but you're really asking for it -
    Last edited by Coke; 08-01-2006 at 10:10 AM.

real nice job with the past couple of workouts. very impressive DL PR after cutting for so long.
    Chicken, Cows, Eggs, and Milk: Eating Big, Lifting Heavy
    My Fitday

Height: 5'8"
    5/07 Weight: 168 lbs, 9% BF using calipers
    Goal: Start lifting again in January and hopefully get rid of this tendinitis.
    "Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy"

Stump- Haha yea still playing. Playing every weekend.

Sensei- Thanks man. I'll post up in your journal.

Coke- Yea haha.

Off- Thanks man.

BJJ:

Kid's class went over some North South stuff. Did six 3 minute rounds of shadow boxing with knees with less than a minute rest between rounds. Didn't stay for the adult jiu jitsu class. Went and played 1.5hrs of soccer instead.

Here's a video of the 315lbs pull at 155lbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMZnijp8cZQ

My weight seems to be slightly up this week, but we'll see when I weigh in on Friday.

Workout: Kettlebells

(weights in kilograms)

Judo Pulls x 10/10 (24s)
    Double Military Press x 5 (24s)
    Double Bent Rows x 5 (24s)
    Double Front Squat x 5 (24s)
    Upa Bridge x 5/5 (24s)
    Double Windmill x 5/5 (24s)
    Double Swing x 5 (24s)
    BW Squats x 25
    Jump Shrugs x 25 (24s)
    Upa Bridge x 5/5 (24s)
    Double Swing x 5 (24s)
    BW Squats x 25
    Jump Shrugs x 25 (24s)
    Upa Bridge x 5/5 (24s)
    Double Swing x 5 (24s)
    Two Arm Swings x 25 (24s)
    Two Arm Swings x 15 (24s)
    Two Arm Swings x 10 (24s)
    Two Arm Swings x 5 (24s)
    KB Pullovers x 15 (24s)
    Russian Twists x 10/10 (24s)
    BW Squats x 25

Comments:

Workout was decent. Didn't feel like I had much energy, but I powered through most of it. The double windmills were fairly difficult. That was really about the only thing though. The jump shrugs were nice on the grip and traps. Overall a decent workout but not my best.

I'm thinking about leaving the studio I train and work at. I'll be going back to school here in 3 weeks and normally I drive an hour one way to train twice a week, so 2hrs of driving plus 3-4hrs of class twice a week. I'm thinking of leaving mainly because of the instructor who I once considered a good friend. I've always been raised to be an honest person and the more I deal with/interact with the instructor, the more I can see he's nothing more than a flim flam artist. Over the last several weeks I've seen him sell nothing but pure bull**** to the people in the classes I teach. He mindlessly spews random **** as gospel, and doesn't even understand the **** he tells people. I feel guilty for helping him teach this **** though I do my best to educate the people correctly. He runs classes in a less than effective manner (IMO) considering the type of fitness/strength and conditioning he advertises himself to be. I had 3 different people today say that they'd prefer me run the classes completely by myself. He definitely didn't like that. I've never seen somebody need to be the center of attention quite like he does. I've gotten to the point where I can't stand to be around him. He's taken $14,000 of my dad's money, and has shown nothing in return for it, even though it's been a year. I haven't been payed for work in 4 weeks now, and when I brought it up, he just shrugged his shoulders and said we'd take care of it before I went off to school. I'm sick and tired of all his dumb ****. I'm considering not training in BJJ anymore at all, even though there's a gym right beside my campus. I may go back to training a little bit of PLing and see if I can get stronger......Oh well, just had to get that off my chest.

Damn bro. That is a lot to think about. You have made some strides in BJJ, do you think you could give it up? I can understand if you wanted to change your focus more toward PLn, and keep BJJ on the back burner by going to classes just enough to keep fresh. You seem to have some great potential and technical abilities in the art, i would just hate to see you give it up. Like I said above, it is a lot to think about. Whatever direction you decide to go, I am sure you will do well.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Hope you don't out and out quit. Maybe you can just go back to training only. Even if at a different gym. At least until you can find a peson/place with the same ideals as you on how to run things.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

It would be great to see you move on with the BJJ right near your school as you've laid ultimate groundwork already.

that really sucks with the instructor.. I wouldn't just up and quit BJJ just because of one person though.. keep at it and train somewhere else.
    My Fitday

Thanks a lot guys. I'm more than likely not going to quit training BJJ, but I won't be training at my current gym. I just can't deal with dishonest people, and needed to vent.

Weekly Weigh In- 155lbs. Stayed constant once again.

Had about 4.5-5hrs of sleep before this workout. Exhausted and hungry as hell. Not a good combination.

Workout: PP,Chins,Squats

Push Press-

45lbs x 10
    95lbs x 5
    105lbs x 1
    115lbs x 1
    125lbs x 1
    135lbs x 1
    145lbs x 1* (Video of this)

*Went up fine, weight came down fast and kind of behind me a slight bit, and I arched my back so hard trying to catch it that I popped the hell out of it. Sounded like a machine gun. Still feels slightly tender, but no pain. Scared the hell out of me.

Chins-

BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW +25lbs x 5
    BW +25lbs x 5
    BW +25lbs x 5
    BW +25lbs x 5
    BW +25lbs x 4.5

Squats-

135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    185lbs x 3
    225lbs x 1
    245lbs x 1 (Video)
    265lbs x miss

Comments:

Noticed several things about this session. One, I HAVE to get more sleep if I plan on lifting. Everything felt slow and I was hungry as **** the whole time. I've also noticed that on the lifts where size definitely helps (squats and deads) I've dropped off a fair amount. My squats have gone to **** now that I'm at 155lbs. I'm ready to stop the KBs and get back into the gym, lifting heavy on a constant basis. I also think the miss on the 265 was mental. I was thinking about my back and my hamstring that is bruised all to hell, and I guess I didn't have it upstairs for that lift. I've gotta get back to where I was before. I really want 2 x BW Squats and ~2.5 x BW Deads by the New Year.

That would be so cool if you had to fight that dishonest guy later on or at least one of his pupils -

I know you're hungry to train basic like before, the KB and everything I'm sure served you well in the meantime.

Make no mistake though, the numbers are fine throughout, especially at your weight.
    Last edited by Coke; 08-04-2006 at 10:37 AM.

nice job man.. I hear ya on lifting on little sleep and no food.. I did it once and will never do it again. I felt like I was gonna pass out the whole time. Why did you begin the KB training in the first place? If it helps, I wouldn't say drop it completely. Maybe just cut down to once a week with it. Good job man.
    My Fitday

Unfortunately, most clubs are like that. Try not to let it drag you down. And check out the club on campus ... if it saves you time and money and you can still learn ... go for it.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Coke- Yea, that would be pretty funny, but sadly, I'm pretty good friends with the guys that train there. I'd hate to see them in competition, but I'd have to do what I came to do either way.

Off- I started the KB training to improve my core strength, conditioning, and to switch up the training program. My conditioning is at an all time high right now, but I'll be playing a ****load of soccer back at school, so from here on I'll probably focus on gaining some pure strength.

Anthony- I hear ya. I suppose it just really bummed me out that I got all into this, thought I had a decent friend as an instructor, but it turns out he's nothing more than a scam. I hear the place in Wilmington has 3 purple belts that teach classes, so I should be able to learn a good deal there.

Workout: Back to the Gym

Single DB OH Press-

30s x 5/5
    35s x 5/5
    40s x 3/3
    45s x 3/3
    50s x 1/1

Single DB Push Press-

55s x 1/1
    60s x 1/1
    65s x 1/1
    70s x 1/1

Chins-

BW x 5
    BW +10lbs x 3
    BW +25lbs x 2
    BW +45lbs x 1
    BW +70lbs x 1
    BW +80lbs x 1
    BW +95lbs x miss

Squat-

135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    185lbs x 1
    225lbs x 1
    225lbs x 1
    225lbs x 1

Bent Rows-

135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    155lbs x 3
    165lbs x 3
    175lbs x 3
    185lbs x 3
    135lbs x 10

Comments:

Decided to get back into the gym on a regular basis. Really want to see what I can get my strength level to at my current weight. The OH/PP felt pretty good. I could've gone heavier than the 70s but my back twinged a bit so I didn't want to push it too hard. The chins felt decent, though I really wanted the +95lbs. The squat work was just for practice. Wanted to work on my stance and bar placement as well as my depth. Easy singles, didn't push it hard. The bent rows were thrown in for some more lat work. Felt nice and strong. Had a lot of people comment on my weighted chins, and ask for diet advice haha. Good session overall.

Someday I might do weighted chins again.

Looking really good.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

good lord, hell of a lot of volume in here chub. how do you like the kb's? i've seen a few dudes using them at my gym. looking real strong on the weighted pullups.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Drew- Thanks man.

RBB- To be perfectly honest, even though I'm not liking the situation, I got out of kettlebells exactly what I had hoped. My muscular conditioning went through the roof. I also maintained a decent amount of strength with regards to bodyweight lifts (chins, dips) as well as lifts requiring a higher level of core strength (one arm/leg motions). I have noticed that heavy weights feel heavier than I remember, but that is probably due to the fact that I haven't held anything truly heavy in quite awhile.

Super stuff man, this workout was sort of a throwback to what you've done in the past - sure did do a lot!!
    Last edited by Coke; 08-08-2006 at 05:19 AM.

Those are great weighted chins for your bodyweight, man!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Coke- Yea I've always enjoyed training like this.

Guido- Thanks man. I may have some questions for you here in a bit.

BJJ:

Worked on guard sweeps and then a few submissions. Grappled at the end. Triangled one of the blue belts, and then one of the other white belts. Dominated both positioning wise. Also did 7 3min rounds of shadow boxing with about 45 sec rest in between. Good workout today.