Page 184 of 285 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,600 of 7109

Thread: Won't Stop, Won't Quit, and Won't EVER Give Up!

Coke- Thanks Coke.

Tommy- Appreciate it man. Welcome to the journal.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Nice speed work! Why do you build up to a heavy weight then back down?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Really wasn't meant to be heavy. Body is still just a wee bit tired. The goal is to get some easy singles in after the two sets of box squats. I'm still needing work on my setup and what not so that is why I went ahead and waved back down.

Yeah I knew your top set wasn't meant to be a tough one. Why not just stick with one weight for all the sets of speed squats though? That's what I've always done... You can still work on your set up with lighter weights.. It's just as important to be able to set up properly with light weight as it is with a heavy weight.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

I've found that I don't get much out of DE squatting. I also find that my setup on the lighter sets is fine, but suffers as my bar weight increases. The goal isn't to have a DE squat on these days. The goal, for me, is to work on my form and tweak any mishaps I have, while not letting my speed slow to a snail's pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    I've found that I don't get much out of DE squatting. I also find that my setup on the lighter sets is fine, but suffers as my bar weight increases. The goal isn't to have a DE squat on these days. The goal, for me, is to work on my form and tweak any mishaps I have, while not letting my speed slow to a snail's pace.
    The conjuate method calls for a lifter to do heavier sets on speed days when the speed is good. Louie reccomends 3-5 reps at around 10% more than your working weight.

Not sure if you're agreeing with what I'm doing or not???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elg8W...elated&search=

i want to be as strong as this girl

and i just flipped by the cosby show and saw adam sandler in it when he was 21, but looks like he's 15. turns out he did 4 episodes on the cosby show
    Last edited by TheLion; 07-18-2007 at 01:51 PM.
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

awesome video

Lion- Hahaha awesome. Didn't realize Adam Sandler was black.

Eye- Dang bro, where you been? Good to see you back around.

post up some pics of your guitar bro.
    My Journal

I'll have to break out the camera and do that.

Just got back from South Carolina this evening. Went down to train with HomeYield and Borris. Both are two of the smartest guys I know, and super chill to hang out with. Borris works too much but I suppose you have to do what you have to do. Had some marathon sessions both days. They really broke apart my form and I feel much better prepared for things than I did going in.

Workout: ME Upper

Weight: ~166lbs

ME Bench-

*Texas Power Bar*
    *Weights don't include extra weight of Power Bar*

45lbs x 20
    95lbs x 5
    135lbs x 3
    155lbs x 3
    185lbs x 1 (4 size too big Inzer Shirt)
    205lbs x 1 (")
    225lbs x 1 (")
    245lbs x 1 (+5lbs PR,")
    245lbs x miss (", came up super fast just kicked off to the right)
    185lbs x 3 (raw again)
    185lbs x 3

Chins-

BW x 10 (MGPA)
    BW x 10 (MGPI)

Things to adjust/think about:

1. Work elbows away from body a bit.
    2. Set feet straight ahead.
    3. Make an apparent drive through the heels.
    4. Get forearms, wrists, elbows in line with each other.

Comments:

Pretty good workout for me, even though at first I didn't think so. It wasn't until after today's workout that I found out we were using a Texas Powerbar that weights an extra 10lbs. The whole time I was thinking I was just out of it, but it wasn't me. HomeYield found an old shirt a buddy of his gave him. It's cut for a 18Xlbs guy. We decided to just put me in the shirt just so I could see what it was like to have one on. They were saying I wasn't getting anything out of it, but it was fairly interesting to see the way it worked. Set a 5lbs PR in the loose shirt. Went over my technique quite a bit. I've been benching like I was in a shirt the whole time, even though I lift raw. I've got to work on getting my elbows wrists inline, instead of folding over.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 07-22-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Here is today's workout with HomeYield.

Workout: ME Lower

ME Squats-

*Texas Power Bar*
    *Weight doesn't include extra weight of bar*

45lbs x 10
    *Here is where HomeYield stepped in and started breaking everything down
    95lbs x 3
    135lbs x 3
    185lbs x 1
    225lbs x 1
    235lbs x 1
    245lbs x 1
    255lbs x 1
    265lbs x 1
    275lbs x 1
    285lbs x 1
    295lbs x 1
    305lbs x 1
    315lbs x 1 (+10lbs PR)
    325lbs x 1 (+20lbs PR, 36 Inzer Hardcore, loose enough for me to pull on and off easily by myself)
    345lbs x 1 (+40lbs PR, loose Inzer, HomeYield in my ear yelling the whole way)

Rack Pulls (1st pin, 3" from ground)-

135lbs x 2
    225lbs x 2
    315lbs x 1
    315lbs x 1

Things to change/focus on:

1. Relax traps.
    2. Elbows rolled under.
    3. Wrists rolled forward.
    4. Stop leaning over.
    5. Push knees out until groin explodes. Push more.
    6. Ass up and back.
    7. Chest up high.
    8. Attempt to focus very bottom of shoulder blades together.

Comments:

What can I say? HomeYield's a genius. Borris didn't get to make this workout so we just took our time in the gym. Long marathon session but I felt like I learned more about actual lifting in those 3hrs than I have in my entire life. He absolutely broke down every little thing with my squat. It's amazing how you think you're doing stuff right until you actually have somebody who knows what they're doing critique it. The weights were feeling heavy to begin with. I was thinking this wasn't going to be a great workout for me. The changes he was making were coming slow to much. I knew what he wanted done but I was so used to squatting with my bad habits that I found some of the changes difficult to make. We kept inching along though and the heavier sets started to feel smoother and smoother. I hit the 315 (325) raw and it felt better than some of the lighter sets. It was then that HomeYield found an old Inzer Hardcore that belonged to the same guy with the shirt. For those that don't know, it should take two people to get a squat suit on. I was able to pull that one on and off like I do my singlet at the house haha. HY said I didn't get anything out of it, and I'm going to have to believe him on that one. He wanted me to take a go at 325 in it, and apparently it was good enough for him, because he decided to have me go for 345. I came in focused and setup like he'd been showing me. Felt heavy on my shoulders but actually not that bad. Really pushed my knees out hard. Came out of the hole fairly quick and hit a wall. HY stepped in like he wanted to take it from me but then started yelling and that was all I needed. With him in my ear, it was a grinder for sure, but I hit it. When I racked it, I was trying to get the blood to drain out of my head, and that was when he decided to drop the bomb on me that he had a Texas Power Bar, and that it really weighs 55lbs instead of 45lbs. Instead of 345, I had actually hit 355. I was stoked. Probably the best session of my entire lift. Hands down.

****ing ace! Looks like I just need to go ahead and sqaut 500!

Whats the deal the with the relaxed traps? Easier shelf or something?

Gonna take a huge leap forward after working out with them guys, we'z envious, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Whats the deal the with the relaxed traps? Easier shelf or something?
    Squeezing the traps brings the shoulders up. When the shoulders come up the chest disappears. You want your chest to be as big as possible because otherwise the weight is going to push you forward and you'll put more stress than necessary on the lower back.

Andrew is a quick study. It took a few beatings for him to do what I was telling him but eventually he got it. His butt quit curling under and he stayed tighter in the hole. Because of his set-up (squeezing the traps up) he was basically doing a GM-squat. So once we got him to relax the traps a bit, he started squatting much better because he wasn't having to worry about falling forward and fighting the bar the whole way.

Andrew it was a pleasure having you down. Good company and good workouts. I appreciate your help while you were down and certainly hope you can make the trip again soon. Come down some Friday and we'll travel up Saturday morning to South Carolina Barbell and you can see some real lifting.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

hell yes chubs!
    2000 or bust

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Wow, that sounds like a dream workout. I bet HY was way effective in person. I've personally seen him be tres effective online. Excellent stuff! Congrats on the PRs!
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Nice workout Chubs! It's awesome to get to train with some experienced lifters!
    Full Powerlifting

Damn you Chubs....

JK

Awesome job with the squat PR.
    Squat:525lbs
    Bench:335lbs
    Deadlift:440lbs

great stuff chubby, congrats on the PR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Risk- Thanks man. Bring on the 500 haha. HY explained it far better than I ever could.

Coke- For sure.

HY- I'd definitely like to make it down as often as I can. If ya'll two don't mind I'd like to try and make it a regular thing every other month or something. You're brought my lifting to a new level in only two sessions. I can't imagine what could happen with more time under the bar.

Stumpy- In the words of Borris, time to get my swole on haha.

Mike- He's effective online and doubly (sp?) so in person.

Deeder- You got it.

LK- Haha I'm baaacck.

McV- Appreciate it man.

Workout: DE Upper

DE Bench (working on new form)-

45lbs x 10
    95lbs x 3
    135lbs x 3
    150lbs x 3 (nice and fast)
    150lbs x 3 (out of groove on 3rd)
    150lbs x 3 (nice set)
    150lbs x 3 (much more pronounced leg drive)
    150lbs x 3 (leg tension but no drive)
    150lbs x 3 (great set all the way around)

Lots of Band Traction work.

Comments:

Body is just beat all to hell right now. Expected this though. Probably could've skipped the benching and done only accessory work, but I did it the other way around. Even though I felt like crap, the adjustments HY and Borris made provided a lot of speed to my benching. Just keep hammering these changes and I think I'll see some big improvements. Did some band traction work that HY showed me. Made me feel a lot better.

Sounds like a killer session bro. I can't believe how many things homey noticed on you, guess it worked though eh. Congrats on the PR!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

EXCELLENT! if Homeyield keeps making improvements like these to your lifts, i think i would start charging you.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    Squeezing the traps brings the shoulders up. When the shoulders come up the chest disappears. You want your chest to be as big as possible because otherwise the weight is going to push you forward and you'll put more stress than necessary on the lower back.

Andrew is a quick study. It took a few beatings for him to do what I was telling him but eventually he got it. His butt quit curling under and he stayed tighter in the hole. Because of his set-up (squeezing the traps up) he was basically doing a GM-squat. So once we got him to relax the traps a bit, he started squatting much better because he wasn't having to worry about falling forward and fighting the bar the whole way.

Andrew it was a pleasure having you down. Good company and good workouts. I appreciate your help while you were down and certainly hope you can make the trip again soon. Come down some Friday and we'll travel up Saturday morning to South Carolina Barbell and you can see some real lifting.
    If I fly over, can I have few free sessions? I think I'll just road trip around america working out with everyone from WBB...

Good stuff with the form work, I skip accessory work all the time - and I grow painfully fast.