The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 185 of 279 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,625 of 6958
    Sid- Yea for real. He found a lot of stuff for sure. Appreciate it.

Lion- Haha I'd pay. It was well worth it.

Risk- You'll have to get him in his shirt, and trust me, that is a workout in itself.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

So you trained with big Will huh? I'm surprised you are still walking to talk about it.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Conor- Yea, I'm surprised myself. Had to stay on my toes though. Never knew when Will might get hungry and try and eat me.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 07-25-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Strong lifting CHubs.

Appreciate it Tommy. As long as my tendons stop aching, I'm hoping to have some good sessions again this weekend, though it won't be under the watchful eye of Will haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    As long as my tendons stop aching
    This is probably the biggest obstacle I've encountered considering the fact that I'm drug-free. Some days I wish I was cranked to the gills.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    This is probably the biggest obstacle I've encountered considering the fact that I'm drug-free. Some days I wish I was cranked to the gills.
    No one is stopping you

well except the CPU...those ****s!
    Last edited by Sidior; 07-25-2007 at 12:59 PM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I'm usually pretty good as far as aches and pains. I think this time it was more of me straining to get Will in his shirt and suit and then lifting on top of it. Body just wasn't used to it.

I'm usually pretty good as far as aches and pains. I think this time it was more of me straining to get Will in his shirt and suit and then lifting on top of it. Body just wasn't used to it.
    ice does a body good
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    No one is stopping you

well except the CPU...those ****s!
    Yeah, don't wanna cross the CPU.

Congrats on the PR Chubs. You have progressed a lot in the last year or so.

Knight- Much appreciated. I've got a long way to go. Welcome to the journal.

Weekly Weigh In: 168lbs. Weight is going up. Good stuff.

Workout: ME Upper

Weight: 168lbs

ME Reverse Band BP-

*Blue Band wrapped twice around top of rack. Green Band attached to Blue Band. Lacking 1/2" from full deload. Band only stretches about a foot from hanging point to my chest.*

95lbs x 10 (WU)
    135lbs x 3 (incredibly fast, getting just enough off the chest to be noticeable)
    155lbs x 3 (fast once again, focus on keeping inline)
    185lbs x 1 (work on getting leg drive)
    225lbs x 1 (fast, tucked feet under a bit, better leg drive)
    245lbs x 1 (only heavy part was unracking, tucked legs too far)
    265lbs x 1 (better leg drive this time, bands start to slack about 3-4" off chest)
    275lbs x 1 (very apparent where bands kick out, solid setup and drive)

Rafter Chins (Medium Grip Palms Facing)-

BW x 10
    BW x 10

Band Pull Aparts-

#2 x 10
    #2 closer x 10

Rack Presses (3-4" above chest)-

135lbs x 5
    155lbs x 5
    175lbs x 5
    185lbs x 5
    205lbs x 5
    185lbs x 5 CGBP

Band Rows-

#2 x 10
    Two #2s x 10

*Band Traction Work*

Comments:

Good session for me today. My rack is pretty tall so I have to wrap the blue bands around the top and then loop the green bands through in order to get it to hang. I had to play with it for about 30 minutes in order to find a place that let it deload but also would give me some type of tension at the bottom. I definitely wasn't getting much. After watching the video you can clearly see the bands kick almost completely out about 3" off my chest. The 275 hit a wall very very quickly but I was able to continue the press. I actually think 260-265 will be a realistic press for me by my birthday. My setup was looking pretty decent. I'm working on getting the most leg drive without breaking my butt of the bench. Need to play with some foot placements. The other work was decent though I obviously put the most focus on the pressing.

i think they only part of that workout that i understand exactly what you were doing are the rack presses lol. but i can see big number on the other ones so it looks like your doing well
    Last edited by 123 champ; 07-27-2007 at 09:40 PM.
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts
    Squat: 295x5
    Bench: 215x1
    Deadlift: 300x5

Good benching. Careful with the rack press that low, they are notorious shoulder killers....
    Squat:525lbs
    Bench:335lbs
    Deadlift:440lbs

Relentless stuff going on there with that effort man.

Nice Rev. band chubs.

123- Haha much appreciated man.

LK- I'm not worried about it, but thanks for the heads up.

Coke- Appreciate it.

Tommy- Thanks man. Didn't get much out of the bands, so I was pretty happy.

Workout almost didn't happen today. I got shot in the neck yesterday at practice and it was pretty close to my carotid (sp?) artery. My dad was worried I could have a possible aneurysm so he wasn't going to give me the go ahead to lift. After going the day with no headaches, pain or loss of vision he took a second look at it and felt that it was too far to the back of the neck to be of any danger. He gave me the go ahead. With that said, it was still in my mind while I was lifting. No buzz kill quite like that haha.

Workout: ME Lower

ME Deads-

135lbs x 5
    185lbs x 3
    225lbs x 1
    275lbs x 1
    315lbs x 1
    365lbs x 1
    385lbs x miss

Rack Pulls (1st Pin = 7" from ground)-

135lbs x 5
    225lbs x 3
    275lbs x 3
    315lbs x 3
    315lbs x 3
    315lbs x 3

Ghetto Reverse Hypers-

BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 10

Rack Crunches-

#3 x 10
    #3 x 10
    #3 x 10

Hanging Knee Raises-

BW x 10
    BW x 10

Comments:

The old Andrew would be pretty pissed about this workout. I mean, 20lbs under my max and I can't get it, WTF? However, I'm the new Andrew. I've come to realize that I've got a long way to go and a lot to learn in that time. It will take time to learn what and how I can train in order to maximize my strength. I learned something today. I obviously can't go 4 months in between heavy pulling. It was a poor call on my part as far as maxing today. I should have pulled heavy but not to a max. My CNS really needed a session or two in order to become reacquainted to pulling. My form and timing was way off. I've got to start putting more focus into this. In short, I'm disappointed in my numbers but now I understand what I can and can't get away with.

sorry about the ****ty maxing, but hey, sometimes you just have admit that i'm 22 pounds lighter than you and stronger hahahaha jking. keep up the positive attitude and you'll soon get stronger than you used to be.
    Last edited by 123 champ; 07-29-2007 at 06:14 PM.
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts
    Squat: 295x5
    Bench: 215x1
    Deadlift: 300x5

Quote Originally Posted by 123 champ View Post
    sorry about the ****ty maxing, but hey, sometimes you just have admit that i'm 22 pounds lighter than you and stronger hahahaha jking. keep up the positive attitude and you'll soon get stronger than you used to be.

Haha I don't doubt that I'm stronger than I was. My new squat max speaks for that. I do think, however, that it was a very poor judgment call for me to put all my focus on my squatting, even though it was lacking fairly badly. I was so concerned about hitting that goal I set for myself, that I forgot to "train" instead of just lifting.

It's interesting how the body works. You'll come back stronger, that's for sure

I had the same thing happen to me with the exact same numbers on the DL a few weeks ago.....weird
    Squat:525lbs
    Bench:335lbs
    Deadlift:440lbs

Haha I don't doubt that I'm stronger than I was. My new squat max speaks for that. I do think, however, that it was a very poor judgment call for me to put all my focus on my squatting, even though it was lacking fairly badly. I was so concerned about hitting that goal I set for myself, that I forgot to "train" instead of just lifting.
    We all have the days when the weight is heavier than it should be. Some days I can get 350lbs off the floor, some days 500lbs sticks just above my knee....

I'm the new Andrew. I've come to realize that I've got a long way to go and a lot to learn in that time. It will take time to learn what and how I can train in order to maximize my strength...now I understand what I can and can't get away with.
    Well spoken, obviously you are becoming wiser and more mature in outlook and in action...props!!

Iron4Life
    Workout almost didn't happen today. I got shot in the neck yesterday at practice and it was pretty close to my carotid (sp?) artery. My dad was worried I could have a possible aneurysm so he wasn't going to give me the go ahead to lift. After going the day with no headaches, pain or loss of vision he took a second look at it and felt that it was too far to the back of the neck to be of any danger. He gave me the go ahead. With that said, it was still in my mind while I was lifting. No buzz kill quite like that haha.

385lbs x miss

The old Andrew would be pretty pissed about this workout. I mean, 20lbs under my max and I can't get it, WTF? However, I'm the new Andrew.
    Dude.. maybe you already answered your question...
    DL'ing is the most mental of all lifts (at least for me)... something about the pure neanderthal aspect of it.. it should be just grunt and pull... but, it creeps into the mind, you against the weight - how much can you pull? are you man enough? there are no spotters? etc, etc....

Anyway.. it was still a good workout... and I like your perspective... so mature... lol...

Keep it heavy...

BTW.. is your Dad a doc?

LK- Yea, I'm not worried about it. There's no rush.

Risk- For sure man.

Coke- Haha, no reason getting pissed about stuff in the past. Just try and learn from it.

Bear- Yea, my dad's a doctor. My nervousness definitely could've been a factor, though I'm confident in my assessment that I can't go that long without pulling.

Workout: DE Upper

DE Bench-

45lbs x 10
    95lbs x 5
    150lbs x 3 (keeping in line, legs tucked too far)
    150lbs x 3 (setup a bit short, arch sucked)
    150lbs x 3 (didn't fold as much, better leg drive)
    150lbs x 3 (very solid reps, best set)
    150lbs x 3 (timing a bit off)
    150lbs x 3 (timing much better, nice and quick)
    150lbs x 3 (folded a slight bit)
    150lbs x 3 (much more in line, work on timing)
    205lbs x 1 (timing, timing, timing)
    215lbs x 1 (such a slow descent, brought way too high)
    225lbs x 1 (no timing at all with leg drive, worried about elbows in line)

Chins (MGPI)-

BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 10

Band Rows-

#2 x 10
    Two #2s x 10
    #3 x 10

Band Pull Aparts-

#2 closer x 10
    #2 closer x 10
    #2 closer x 10

*Lots of Band Traction Work*

Comments:

I'm losing a bit of timing with my leg drive. I'm trying to incorporate the ability to bring my chest to meet the bar. I think my timing issues are due in part to my concern with elbow positioning. I'm trying to focus on keeping my elbows, wrists and forearms in line, making for a more solid energy transfer. I'm thinking that after a few more sessions, when the new style of benching is more in my head, I'll be able to sort out these timing issues pretty easily. The speed on the 150lbs sets was pretty good. The 3 sets at the end were a bit slower than I would've like. No worries though. I'm incorporating a lot more band traction work and band warmup work. I have to say that I feel much better during and after my sets.