The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 279 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Forgot the quote of the day for 4/10/04: "The man who follows the crowd will usually find himself no further than the crowd, the man that walks alone is likely to find himself in a place no one has ever been."

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Prom went great ryuage. Took a hot young lady and got to hang out with friends for the evening. Still mad at myself that I screwed my diet up yesterday though. Oh well lol.

On another topic:

My mom works for the school system and just got a digital camera that she brought home. I'm going to take some pictures come Wed. Can anybody tell me how to post them once I get the pics taken?

when you post just go the advanced optionand you will see something under additional options asking you to manage attatchments just click it and its self explanatory from there. I have somewhat of a similar story as you, I started out real big at about 240 lbs 5'10 my sophmore year in high school and since then my weight has sorta been fluctuating due to not being able to train under abnormal circumstances with my job, just keep at it and Im sure you'll end up where you want to be.

Thanks for the good word ryuage. My weights pretty good right now, it's just "ironing" out the little things from here.

I only prepared a little of my meals today, so I tried to estimate on the high end for everything I ate.

Food:

Meal 1- Nitrean, Milk, Oatmeal

Meal 2- Orange Juice HAHA

Meal 3- (Easter Dinner)- Turkey, Ham, Rice, Corn, Sweet Potatoe Casserole, Water

Meal 4- Chicken, Baked Beans, Mashed Potatoes, Tea

Totals-

Calories- 2620
    Protein- 244grams
    Carbs- 270grams
    Fats- 63grams

Calories could be either slightly high or slightly low, though I tried to make them on the high side. Needed to eat smaller meals but didn't. Need to cut the calories back slightly.

Ran roughly 2 miles this morning, and then this afternoon rode the bike for about 20 or so minutes.

Overall, not good, but not too too bad.

Quote of the Day: "It's easy to give 100 percent when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but true winners give 100 percent when there is no light at all"

I wannabebig!
    hows the fat loss coming at your current calorie intake?

Well ryuage, this is my first week at this calorie level. Last week I was averaging roughly 2100-2200 calories a day, and after only 5 days I had already dropped 2 pounds. I hadn't even made it the entire week and I had already dropped too much. So I've upped my calorie intake to where I'm somewhere around 2500-2600 and I'm hoping this will work out(no pun intended). I haven't had my bf measured before so I couldn't tell ya specifics, but the muscle on my arms especially is starting to become more visible, so I think I'm dropping at least a little bodyfat so far. I'm waiting until Wed. to see what my weight loss is at this calorie intake level.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 04-12-2004 at 06:27 AM.

I wannabebig!
    could be water weight for the first couple lbs lost, and the decrease in food intake, but ya see where you go with 2500 calories and adjust from there.

Food:

Meal 2- 6in Steak and Cheese Sub

Meal 3- Two Small Hamburger Patties

Meal 4- Roast Beef Sandwich

Meal 5- Chicken Dish

Meal 6- Tortilla chips and small hamburger patty

Totals:

Calories- 2317
    Protein- 216grams
    Carbs- 146grams
    Fat- 97grams

Overall the meals weren't that bad, though they could have been cleaner. Protein was pretty good, carbs lower than usual, fat could have been better.

Workout-

Squat-
    10 x 145lbs
    8 x 165lbs
    6 x 185lbs (Personal Best)

Leg Curls-
    10 x 80lbs
    8 x 90lbs
    6 x 100lbs

Benchpress-
    10 x 115lbs
    8 x 125lbs

T-Bar Row-
    10 x 55lbs
    8 x 60lbs

Shrugs-
    10 x 350lbs
    10 x 350lbs

Lateral Raises-
    10 x 20lbs
    10 x 20lbs

Lower Half Curls-
    10 x 2 10's on each side

Upper Half Curls-
    10 x 2 10's on each side

Skullcrushers-
    10 x 2 10's and a 2.5 on each side
    10 x 2 10's and a 2.5 on each side

Also ran 2 miles after the workout.

Overall the workout went pretty good. Bench is getting easier so I'll have to move that up some. Workouts feelin good.

Quote of the Day- "Cowards die many times before their death, the valiant taste of death but once"- Shakespeare
    Last edited by Chubrock; 04-12-2004 at 08:51 PM.

Journal don't disappear on me now!

Food:

Meal 2- Chicken Breast

Meal 3- Pasta, Salad, Piece of Spinach Pizza

Meal 4- Chicken Breast

Meal 5- Chicken Supremes, Cajun Pintos

Meal 6- Balance Bar, Nitrean, Milk

Totals-

Calories- 2467
    Protein- 199grams
    Carbs- 255grams
    Fat- 70grams

Overall it wasn't a bad day food wise. Couldn't have eaten a little better, but overall it was pretty good.

NEW WORKOUT

CORE Performance developed by Mark Verstegen

Tuesday (Week 1)

Movement Prep-

Hip Crossover 1 x 8 each leg
    Calf Stretch 1 x 8 each leg
    Hand Walk 1 x 4
    Forward Lunge/Forearm-to-instep 1 x 4 each leg
    Backward Lunge with a Twist 1 x 4 each leg
    Lateral Lunge 1 x 4 each leg
    Sumo Squat to Stand 1 x 8

Swiss Ball-

Lateral Roll 1 x 8 each side
    Russian Twist 1 x 8 each side
    Plate Crunch 1 x 8
    Lying Opposites 1 x 8 each side
    Reverse Crunch 1 x 8
    Bridging 1x 8
    Hip Crossover 1 x 8 each side

12 minutes ESD 1

This workout is great. Felt muscle I didn't even know I had. I'm ready for Friday. It's the first strength workout day. I'll let everybody here know how this unfolds over the next 12 weeks.

Quote of the Day- "Fortune favors the brave"
    Last edited by Chubrock; 04-13-2004 at 08:43 PM.

Pics for everybody:

The first two pics are during my sophmore year and into my junior year(I'm a senior now). At that time I was 240lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

These next pictures are of today, 4-14-04. At this time I weigh 159lbs and have no idea of my body fat percentage. It would be great if somebody could help me out with that. Any guesses? Oh yea, that is grey hair lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chubrock; 04-14-2004 at 07:55 AM.

Banned
    nice work on the cutting, chubrock -- excellent transformation and you're still going!

I'd take a wild stab and say 14%? for bf in those more recent pics?

it's hard to say though because you've got so much loose skin, it looks like... once your skin finishes tightening up over the new, leaner, you it will be a lot easier to judge.

Great job man!! I agree with Cal, once the loose skin tightens up you'll be much happier with your results. Keep doing what you're doing!!
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

I do have a lot of loose skin, mostly around my abdomen area. Hopefully as I put on some muscle I'll tighten back up. The skin around my shoulder areas is great but right around my midsection is the trouble spot. My dads a doctor and has a plastic surgeon working for him, so if the skin doesn't tighten up after awhile I'm going to see if there's anything she can do about it. Thanks for the good word though Callahan.

Thanks Justin man, when I responded to Callahan I didn't see your response. My fault.

great work there man, but can i just say that you were the sexiest fat man i have ever seen-(completely straight i swear i am) but cmon those shades? imagine how much you drive the ladies crazy now. that being said- thats a great transformation and indeed loose skin but that will get better, and there's one thing you can help to make it get better: get muscles. Now that you've gotten skinny, you need to get big!
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

HAHAHA thanks for the great words JTyrell, that's great to hear lol. I'm really wanting to get the abs to appear but this loose skin really pisses me off. Should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and try and bulk up about 10-15 pounds and try to put on mostly muscle. Should I see if my skin tightens up around it, and then try to cut the extra weight off, or what? Can ya'll give me some suggestions?
    Last edited by Chubrock; 04-14-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    For DB presses, are you doing that weight in one hand, or is it the total?

Good job with the weight loss bro, thats impressive. Good luck with all this now!
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

The DB Press weight is per hand. So the 2 x 6 55lbs means a 55lbs dumbbell per hand.

Alright after a week at 2500 calorie avg, I lost a total of 3 pounds which is too much. I think from here on out I'm going to weigh every day and take an average at the end of the week. I upped the calories today, way too much towards the end of the day though.

Food:

Meal 2- Turkey Sandwich, Balance Bar

Meal 3- Steak and Cheese Sub, Double meat

Meal 4- Turkey Sandwich, Orange Juice

Meal 5- Chicken Tenders, Mashed Potatoes

Meal 6- Two chicken tacos, salsa and chips

Totals-

Calories- 3244
    Protein- 198grams
    Carbs- 318grams
    Fat- 136grams

Well up until my last two meals, I was doing a good job. Then my mom brought home some food and I ate that, and then later I went to a friend's and we all sat around watchin a movie. The salsa during the movie threw me overboard big time, along with the chips. All the totals today are horrible, nothing good about them except maybe the protein. I must do better tommorow. Oh well nothings perfect.

Workout-

Movement Prep-

Hip Crossover 1 x 8 each leg
    Calf Stretch 1 x 8 each leg
    Hand Walk 1 x 4
    Forward Lunge/Forearm-to-instep 1 x 4 each leg
    Backward Lunge with a Twist 1 x 4 each leg
    Lateral Lunge 1 x 4 each leg
    Sumo Squat to Stand 1 x 8

Regeneration-

Assisted Calf Pull 1 x 8 both legs
    Assisted Hamstring Pull 1 x 8 both legs
    Assisted Glute Pull 1 x 8 both legs
    Assisted Adductor Pull 1 x 8 both legs

After that I played tennis for about 30 minutes. Overall at the end of the day, everything wasn't as good as it should have been. It will def. be better tommorow.

Quote of the Day- "Breakfast has been cancelled, due to lack of...hustle"- Heavyweights
    Last edited by Chubrock; 04-14-2004 at 10:32 PM.

I would think it's the chips moreso than the salsa. High carbs and sodium in the chips.... Only thing in the salsa would be the high sodium, but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Nice looking session, keep up the hard work.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

One note on the salsa, its a homemade salsa and not just a veggie one. Its got a bunch of other crap in it too. But anyway, this question isn't just for Justin but for everybody. Dad thinks that because of the loose skin, I should go on a bulk and try and build as much muscle up as possible. His reasoning is that while I'm on this cut, I'm slowly losing muscle, and my skin is losing stuff to hold on to. He thinks the skin will tighten up faster if I throw on some poundage, in muscle of course. What do ya'll think?

Wannabebig Member
    Great Job man your trasformation is terrific ... keep at it
    Last edited by J_C; 04-15-2004 at 01:30 PM.

Thank ya JC. Anybody have any suggestions on the bulk idea?

Food:

Meal 1- Nitrean, Oatmeal, Milk

Meal 2- Chicken Tenders, Canjun Pintos, Mashed Potatoes, Biscuit

Meal 3- 6in Turkey and Ham Double Meat

Meal 4- Chicken Breast, Potatoes

Meal 5- Balance Bar, Milk

Well so much for starting the bulk today. All my meals were off timing by a lot, and I didn't eat near enough. Oh well, I'll get it all together tommorow. It's gonna be a big adjustment eating that much more food a day though.

Calories- 2419
    Protein- 196grams
    Carbs- 242grams
    Fats- 75grams

Fats could have been lower, and calories need to be way on up there.

Workout-

Floor/PB T 1 x 8
    Floor/PB W 1 x 8
    Floor/PB L 1 x 8
    PB Pushup Plus 1 x 8
    PB Reach, Roll, and Lift 1 x 8
    Glute Bridge 1 x 8
    Side Lying Ad/Abduction 1 x 8 both sides
    Pillar Bridge Front 1 x 20 seconds
    Pillar Bridge Side right and left 1 x 15 seconds both sides

10minutes HIIT 30 seconds on 30 seconds off

Overall the workout felt good and so did the HIIT.

Quote of the Day- "I'm Perkisizing"- Heavyweights