The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 229 of 284 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,725 of 7082
    Nice OH work. I SUCK at those, something I need to work on. Good session.

Appreciate it man.

Workout: CF Endurance

Weight: ~170lbs

CF Endurance:

2 min on/ 1 min off for 6 rounds (rest periods are with no walking, standing still)-

Total Distance Covered: 3019m at 6:21/mile pace

Comments:

Decent pace at best. Not happy. My quads and hamstrings were absolutely smoked from the day before but I still should've averaged a pace faster than this.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

It's been a while since I've been in here, but I see you are doing well with the CF thing. Oh, and a belated "Congrats" on doing so well in your Basic Law Enforcement stuff. Way to represent.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

tsk tsk tsk

Still skinny I see. You ever gong to become a man?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Guido- Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Will- Haha we'll have to wait and see. If I get into the academy, my weight will have to stay pretty constant for the time being. I may try to put a little weight back on if I can continue to bring my run times down. If not, I'll have to hold off until I finish up.

Smashing the OH Squats Chubs. I start to love and respect the movement the more and more I do it, I dunno why but it makes me feel so strong!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Haha thanks man. Once I can do some decent weight they might make me feel strong. Hell, we've got a 140lbs chick in the gym that can OH Squat 225...

Workout: "Long" Run

Weight: ~173lbs

Temperature = 83F
    Humidity = ~70%
    Terrain = rolling hills/farmland and gravel roads

Distance - 5.1 miles

Time: 44:48 (3:13 all time PR) @ 8:47/mile pace

Comments:

I have mixed emotions about this. First I should be at least sub 40:00, no doubts about that. Even with the rolling hills my time shouldn't have been this slow. With that said, I haven't ran more than 2.5miles in almost 10 months. All of the CF Endurance work has had me doing intervals or pacing work. I only did this run because I wanted to see how well CFE would handle longer runs when they're not being trained. The last time I ran this course, I was averaging 3 miles/ day with longer runs thrown in. I was doing the traditional LSD crap, err work. I was also about 10lbs lighter than I am now. With all that said, I still busted a nearly 3.5 minute all time personal best. While it may not be ten more months before I run another distance this long, I'll be sticking with CFE.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    tsk tsk tsk

Still skinny I see. You ever gong to become a man?
    Bwahahaha. Not that I should talk, but that was priceless.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Haha yea yea yea, laugh it up bitches.

Helped my boy, T, finish up some work this afternoon. Burnt the **** out of my hand but it's doing okay right now.

Workout: Strict OH Press (find a max)

Strict OH Press-

45lbs x 8 x 2
    65lbs x 8
    95lbs x 3
    115lbs x 3
    135lbs x 1
    145lbs x 1

Push Press-

135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 8

Chins (strict)-

BW +25lbs x 6 PA
    BW +25lbs x 10 PA
    BW +35lbs x 6 PI
    BW +35lbs x 6 PI
    BW +45lbs x 5 PA
    BW +45lbs x 5 PA

Ring Rows-

BW x 8
    BW x 8

Ring Dips-

BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 10

Crossfit Endurance:

Intervals-

30 sec on/20 sec walk x 8 rounds

Distance Covered: ~1463m
    Distance Walked: ~285m @ 15min/mile pace in 2:40
    Distance Ran: ~1172m @ 5:27:6/mile pace in 4:00

Comments:

I'm going to go away from benching for awhile. At least as a main lift. I've been neglecting heavy OH work and I'm going to try and work it back in. Today was just trying to find a good starting point for 5-3-1. I'll probably drop it down to 135 and base everything off that. The push press went up easily, so I'm thinking all the tricep work and extra hip/core work is paying off. The running WOD went decently. I'm about 12m short of what I did last time, but this was expected. I spent the last 10 seconds puking instead of moving, so my pacing was pretty much dead even. A bunch of fruit + hard intervals =/= good time. Good work overall today.

Went to the beach today for a bit. Kinda drained.

Workout: OH Squat (5-3-1)

OH Squat (5-3-1)-

45lbs x 8 x 2
    65lbs x 5
    85lbs x 3
    100lbs x 5
    115lbs x 3
    125lbs x 9 (+6 reps PR)

Conv DLs (OH Grip)-

135lbs x 5
    135lbs x 5
    185lbs x 3
    205lbs x 5
    225lbs x 5
    235lbs x 5

Medicine Ball V Situps-

14lbs x 20
    14lbs x 20
    14lbs x 20

Medicine Ball V Throws-

14lbs x 20 L
    14lbs x 20 R
    14lbs x 20 L
    14lbs x 20 R

Hanging Leg Raises-

BW x 8
    BW x 8

100 KB Swings (16kg)-

4:42

Comments:

OH Squatting is actually coming along pretty nicely. Still not hitting "good" numbers but it's getting a lot better than me. What sucks is that I just lost concentration and let the bar drift forward. One of the guy at the gym was talking about a correction I needed to make and I, like a dumbass, tried to make the correction mid set. My shoulders weren't taxed at all. Soon hopefully the limiting factor will be how much I can jerk from BTN. The conv DLs are still taking some getting used it. My lower back is holding up so far, which is a good sign. All the stretching and rolling I've been doing seems to be paying off.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 06-02-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Hey man, good work on the OH Squats and DL work, two of my favourite exercises and ones I'm trying to improve.

Was this the "WOD" from CF Wilmington? Or are you training on your own program at the moment?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Hey chub how you doing man? looking good in here. Training seems intense!
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Tom- I appreciate it man. I typically come up with my own programming. If it wasn't for that fact, I'd follow CF Wilmington's stuff religiously. Tony knows his **** and finds a much better balance between overall strength and athletic capacity than most other Crossfits. The gym has some serious firebreathers. Awesome place to train out of.

Good- Damn dude, good to see you around some. Been doing pretty good. Seems like your lifts are looking stout man, nice job.

I forgot to mention this earlier. I hung out with Casey Burgener and his wife Natalie on Sunday night. For those that don't know, both of them lift on the US Olympic Weightlifting Team. Casey has an all time best snatch of right over 400lbs and a best all time C&J of mid to high 400s. Natalie holds the US National Record with a 221lbs Snatch in the 62kilo class and a 254lbs C&J in the same class. Both were really nice people and awesome to hangout with. Natalie was smoking too.

Casey-
    Video

Natalie-
    Video
    Last edited by Chubrock; 06-03-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Workout: Fran and CFE

Fran-

21 Thrusters (95lbs)
    21 Chinups (chest to bar)
    15 Thrusters (95lbs)
    15 Chinups (chest to bar)
    9 Thrusters (95lbs)
    9 Chinups (chest to bar)

Time- 8:25 (just for comparison by best non C2B Fran is 3:40)

CFE WOD-

4min on
    3min off
    2min on
    30sec off
    1min on
    3min off
    2min on
    30sec off
    4min on

Distance Covered: 3010m @ 6:54 pace

Comments:

PISS poor effort on both parts. Fran smoked my ass like cheap crack. The Chest-to-Bar chinups absolutely killed my time. I'm going to have to make sure all my chinups are C2B from now on. I should have done the CFE WOD earlier in the day instead of after Fran. I had no legs whatsoever and it showed in my slow ass pace. The last couple of days have wiped the floor with me. I'm ready for a day off.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 06-03-2009 at 06:06 PM.

fran is a bitch!
    TOtally brutal. I did fran once. may have to again!

I really should give these ago with my current setup. Replace the barbell with my sandbag though
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 06-04-2009 at 07:50 AM.
    My Journal

Haha yea Fran is a bitch. What pisses me off is that I've put up a fast time using the old standard. This chest to bar stuff killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Haha yea Fran is a bitch. What pisses me off is that I've put up a fast time using the old standard. This chest to bar stuff killed me.
    Well if you implement chest to bar for every pullup in future you will adapt.
    Still impressive to even finish fran in under 10 minutes isn't it?
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 06-04-2009 at 08:00 AM.
    My Journal

I'd say so, especially when one isn't doing much high rep/high heart rate work in the first place.

Chest to Bar? Urgh, disgusting movement haha. What sort of kip are you using Chub?
    Your regular Fran time is NUTS! And I'm sure your new one shall improve rapidly as well if you keep training like a beast!
    My Journal

I wasn't really using any strict kip. It ended up being a mix between the frog and just tossing my legs around. I should've used the butterfly. I've been decently successful with it in the past.

Workout: 2.5 Mile Run

Original Route- 18:08 (14 sec PR)

Original Route Plus ~.1 mile extra- 18:41 (17 sec PR)

Comments:

I'm not sure that my original route is exactly 2.5 miles long, so I added an extra tenth or so to make sure. I set PRs for both distances though, so I'm pretty happy with that. Gotta be faster though.

Workout: OH Press and CFE

Strict OH Press (3s)-

45lbs x 8
    45lbs x 8
    65lbs x 5
    95lbs x 3
    105lbs x 3
    120lbs x 6
    135lbs x 10 (Push Press)

Chins (chest to bar)-

BW x 5
    BW +25lbs x 5 PA
    BW +25lbs x 5 PA
    BW +25lbs x 5 PI
    BW +25lbs x 5 PI
    BW x 10 (not C2B)
    BW x 10 (not C2B)
    BW x 10 (not C2B)

Ring Dips-

BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 10

CFE-

Run:

4 x 400m at pace, 2min between intervals

Times-

1:18/1:24/1:28/1:25

Comments-

The pressing went decently. Didn't hit any PRs, though I wasn't expecting to. Felt pretty good overall, I just have to get back into the groove of OH pressing. The chins went pretty decently. I'll probably do most of my work Chest to Bar from now on. The intervals went pretty decent. I was shooting for averaging a 1:20 but came up short. My first split was a tad fast and then I faded a bit from there. Gotta get faster.

In other news. The NCSHP called today and offered me a spot in The Basic School. Out of 600 or so applicants I was selected for one of the ~30 spots. Damn glad to be picked up and now the fun starts. 29 weeks of boot camp. Gonna be a great time. I leave August 3rd.

Good efforts on your pressing and chins mate! What's with the "PA" & "PI" after chins though?

I'm not quite sure what it is but... Congratulations on getting in to the NCSHP basic school!
    My Journal

Haha PA = palms away, PI = palms in. The NCSHP is the North Carolina State Highway Patrol, and IMO one of the most squared away law enforcement agencies in the nation. Consistently used for examples by other departments outside the state. As such, their Basic School (academy) is absolute hell. 29 weeks of boot camp and the reason I've been shedding extra weight and running a lot.

Intensity! have fun with that mate haha.
    My Journal

LOL. Yea. It's going to suck something awful, but **** it. I ain't comin' home early no matter what.

Workout: OH Squat and Short WOD

OH Squat (3s)-

45lbs x 8
    45lbs x 8
    65lbs x 5
    85lbs x 5
    100lbs x 3
    115lbs x 3
    125lbs x 10 (+1 rep PR)

Front Squat-

135lbs x 5
    155lbs x 5
    165lbs x 5

Medicine Ball V Situps-

14lbs x 20
    14lbs x 20
    14lbs x 20

Knees to Elbows-

BW x 6/6
    BW x 6/6
    BW x 10
    BW x 10

WOD-

10-15-20 of

24" Box Jump
    Chinups (Chest to Bar)

Time- 7:35

Comments:

OH Squatting went pretty well today. Wanted a bit more of a PR, but I lost a bit of focus towards the middle of the set. Haven't front squatted in awhile, so I wanted to get under the bar. Back was a bit tender so I took it fairly easy. Decided to do Chest to Bar on the WOD. Tougher than I thought it'd be.