The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 6 of 284 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    I wannabebig!
    yes that is pretty close I would use at least 6 inches in distance or a just within shoulder width.

HAHA alright ryuage. Thanks man. Yea it said close grip, so I guess I went WAY close lol. Do you feel that they sufficiently work the triceps? I've been thinking about changing a couple of the lifts I do for my workout, just so that my body doesn't get used to one thing. Would close grip bench work my tris pretty good?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

I wannabebig!
    yes I find it very effective as a mass building exercise for the tri's.

Thank ya. I've been doing pushdowns with my fullbody routine, and I just feel like I wanna do something new for my tris. I think I'll start doing close grip instead of the pushdowns.

Food:

Meal 1- Nitrean, Milk, Oatmeal

Meal 2- Balance Bar, Nutri Grain Bar

Meal 3- Steak, Potato, Baked Beans, Bread

Meal 4- Steak, Baked Beans

Meal 5- Spicy Chik Sandwich

Totals-

Calories- 2937
    Protein- 233grams
    Carbs- 281grams
    Fat- 84grams

Not too bad overall. We had our Mother's Day get together this weekend instead of last, so they cooked out some steak. First time in awhile I've had a decent steak. It was quite tasty. Totals weren't that bad, but could have been better.

Random Thoughts-

I weigh tommorow. Don't really have a clue what I'll weigh in at. Hopefully everything will be as planned. I think I'm going to start doing a odd morning session once school gets out. Mostly I plan on doing odd things such as pulling a weighted sled, tossing grain bags, and anything else I can think of. I'm going to do this for awhile and see if I can't build up some nice raw power in my legs, and in my core muscles. If nothing happens, I'll just quit with the morning session and continue on with my Full Body workout. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Quote of the Day- "I will rip off your head and **** down your neck!!! Do I make myself clear?"-Full Metal Jacket

Weight- 163lbs....Down a pound from last week. I think it came from all the tennis I played over the weekend, and the fact that I wasn't able to get my calories in. It still gives me a total of 4lbs for the last month of bulking, which is good.

Food:

Meal 2- Ham Sandwich, Balance Bar

Meal 3- School Cheeseburger, Apple Sauce, Baked Beans, Raisans, Milk

Meal 4- Protein Plus Bar, Chicken Nuggets

Meal 5- Roasted Chicken Breast Sub, Double Meat

Meal 6- Chicken Sandwich

Totals-

Calories- 2910
    Protein- 213grams
    Carbs- 328grams
    Fat- 85grams

My choices of food could have been better, but in the end my totals came out fine. Everything looked fairly good, but the fat could have been slightly lower and the protein slightly higher.

Workout- Full Body

Squats-
    165lbs x 10 (+5lbs)
    185lbs x 8 (+5lbs)
    215lbs x 6 (+5lbs)

Leg Curls-
    100lbs x 10
    110lbs x 8
    120lbs x 6

Benchpress-
    135lbs x 10
    145lbs x 8

T-Bar Rows-
    65lbs x 10 (+5lbs)
    75lbs x 8 (+5lbs)

Shrugs (Dumbbells)-
    70lbs each hand x 10
    70lbs each hand x 10

Overhead Dumbell Press-
    45lbs each hand x 10 (+2 reps)
    45lbs each hand x 8

Hammer Curls with a twist-
    35lbs each hand x 10
    35lbs each hand x 8

Tricep Pressdowns-
    130lbs x 10
    130lbs x 8

Workout felt pretty good. I love squatting! My starting to bog down on my bench, so I may go away from it. I think I'll start doing some dumbbell press instead. I used fairly good form on the hammer curls today, but I still think I like the cable curl better. Didn't do the close grip bench today, because by the end of my workout, the benches were filled. I'm going to work on building that sled tommorow, and also work on getting some of the other stuff together for my morning workouts.

Quote of the Day- "In your face, Charlie Murphy"- Chappelle Show

Nice work bro.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Thanks Justin. I'm about to go start working on that sled now. It feels quite good outside. Hopefully everything will go as planned.

Food:

Meal 2- Turkey Sandwich, Balance Bar

Meal 3- Grilled Chicken Sandwich

Meal 4- Chicken Supremes, Mashed Potatoes

Meal 5- Roasted Chicken Breast, Double Meat, Fat Free Chips

Meal 6- Teriyaki Chicken, Rice, Raisans

Totals-

Calories- 2791
    Protein- 202grams
    Carbs- 314grams
    Fat- 78grams

I kept my calories a little lower today, because I had some extra things not listed, such as Sweet Tea, and a little BBQ sauce. Overall my totals looked good. Pretty happy with everything today. Protein levels should have been up just a little more.

Well, I got my sled built. I think it turned out pretty good. Ended up using exterior flooring to lay the weights on, then I ran three 2 x 4s underneath. I cut them and sanded them so they resemble skis. I then ran two separate lines of rope thats good for bout 250lbs. I used this padding to keep the lines from digging in my shoulders. Overall it turned out pretty good. I think from now on, on the days I have my fullbody workout, I'm going to do something like an explosive portion in the morning. I've kinda decided to do the following in the mornings:

5-10 50yd weighted sprints with the sled
    5-10 50yd weighted reverse sprints with the sled
    10 10yd explosive sprints
    2 sets of 5 weighted tosses to each side
    3 sets of 10 weighted plyometric pushups

I think I'm going to try this for awhile, and see if I experience any results. I'm really trying to generate a good combination of quickness and power. We'll see what happens.

Quote of the Day- "**** them, them lil' dudes is garbage."

Great job. Your story kinda sounds like mines. Never ever give up and keep up the great work.

Thank ya beastin, and welcome to my humble abode (journal). I don't ever plan on giving up. I love pushing myself like this.

Good deal with the sled.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Thank ya. I'm gettin' ready to go out and try my first morning session. I'm interested to see how much this works me out. I'll report back when I'm finished.

Well, the first morning workout is tough. I'll say this. My morning workout requires a lot more will power than my afternoon lifting workout. Heres how it went:

10 - 10yard explosive sprints

1- 50yard weighted sled pull
    1- 50yard weighted backwards sled pull
    1- 25yard weighted sled pull
    1- 25yard weighted backwards sled pull
    1- 25yard weighted sled pull
    1- 25yard weighted backwards sled pull

10 - 10yard karaoke

1 set of 5 25lb plate throws to the right
    1 set of 5 25lb plate throws to the left
    1 set of 5 25lb plate throws to the right
    1 set of 5 25lb plate throws to the left

3 sets of 10 plyometric pushups

Good God-a-mighty. I didn't realize 120lbs could be so heavy pulling straight behind you. Those sled pulls were rough. I thought I'd be able to use weight for the plyometric pushups, but I was wrong. Those were a little tougher than I thought. Overall the workout made me sweat, made my legs feel like jello, and made me push myself. Objective Complete.

Food:

Meal 3- Roasted Chicken Breast, Double Meat, Fat Free Chips

Meal 4- Nutri-Grain Bar

Meal 5- HOOTERS

Totals-

Calories-3001
    Protein- 208grams
    Carbs- 202grams
    Fat- 145grams

Well is there really anything good to say about my totals? Maybe the only good thing is that my calories were dead on. I think I just clogged everyone of my arteries. My Tennis Coach took the entire team to Hooters since we won the Conference Championship, and made it to the second round of the playoffs. I planned pretty good for the calories, but good lord I didn't know that wings had so much fat in them. I'm mad at myself that I ate that much fat, but it's the last time the tennis team will be together so I think I'll forgive myself. Oh well, I'll have to keep my fat levels really low over the next couple of days to make up for this.

Afternoon Workout- Full Body

Squats-
    165lbs x 10
    185lbs x 8
    215lbs x 6

Leg Curls-
    100lbs x 10
    110lbs x 8
    120lbs x 6

Dumbbell Press-
    60lbs each hand x 10 (+2 reps)
    65lbs each hand x 7 (+5lbs)

Dumbbell Rows-
    60lbs x 10 (+2 reps)
    65lbs x 8 (+5lbs)

Shrugs (Dumbbell)-
    70lbs each hand x 10
    70lbs each hand x 10

Overhead Press-
    45lbs each hand x 9
    45lbs each hand x 9

Cable Curls-
    90lbs x 10 (+2 reps)
    100lbs x 8 (+10lbs)

Tricep Pressdown
    130lbs x 10
    140lbs x 7 (+10lbs)

Well I think the morning workout def. had some effect on the afternoon workout. My left arm didn't seem near as stable as usual, and my legs felt a little shot. Next workout the leg curls are going up. I used poor form on the last rep of both the bicep curls and pressdowns. I'll work that out next time. Overall though, not a bad day, but I'm still dissapointed about the diet.

Quote of the Day- "When the **** goes down, what the **** ya gonna do, damn it feels good to be a gangsta"

Hey Andrew, do you have any pictures of when you were fat? Listen just remember that alot of that lose skin won't go away, atleast it did not for me. Do you go to school? How are you able to workout in the morning?

Stay Motivated

Check page two of my journal beastin. Monday was my last day of school. I didn't have any exams, so I didn't have to go these last few days. That's how I got to workout in the morning. I know what ya mean about the loose skin. I'm going to have a section removed here before long.

Food:

Meal 3- Chicken Grill Sandwich

Meal 4- 2 Chicken Breasts, Mashed Potatos

Meal 5- Roasted Chicken Breast Sub, Double Meat

Meal 6- Turkey and Ham Sub, Double Meat

Meal 7- Roasted Chicken, Mashed Potatoes

Totals-

Calories- 2920
    Protein- 282grams
    Carbs- 272grams
    Fat- 69grams

Today was MUCH better. I knew I had to keep the fat down to make up for the other day, and I did a fairly good job. Calories came out pretty good. The only thing out of the ordinary was my carb and protein levels. They are usually flip flopped. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. Overall a good day.

Quote of the Day- "Pads are for pussies"

Food:

Meal 2- Nutri Grain Bar, Balance Bar

Meal 3- Soup, Steak, Rice, Baked Potato

Meal 4- Roasted Chicken Breast Double Meat

Meal 5- Hotdog, Baked Beans

Meal 6- Spicy Chicken Sandwich

Totals-

Calories- 3091
    Protein- 208grams
    Carbs- 364grams
    Fat- 82grams

Not too bad of a day. The hotdog and spicy chicken sandwich put my fat grams up a little higher than I wanted, but the totals didn't end up bad. Not too bad of a day.

Workout- Full Body

Leg Press-
    90lbs x 10
    220lbs x 10
    310lbs x 8
    400lbs x 6 (+40lbs)

Leg Curls-
    110lbs x 10 (+2 reps)
    120lbs x 8 (+2 reps)
    130lbs x 5.5 (+10lbs)

Dumbbell Press-
    40lbs each hand x 10
    60lbs each hand x 10
    65lbs each hand x 5

Dumbbell Rows-
    60lbs each hand x 10
    65lbs each hand x 8

Shrugs-
    70lbs each hand x 10
    70lbs each hand x 10

Close Grip Bench-
    115lbs x 10
    125lbs x 7

Hammer Curls-
    35lbs each hand x 10
    35lbs each hand x 8

I had to make the workout quicker than usual, so I didn't have the rest between sets like I usually do. I had the state level tennis tournament today, so I was fairly tired this afternoon. That may have contributed somewhat to my lower lifts today, I dunno though. I just really didn't feel like loading up the squat rack today, so I did some leg press. Overall though, not a bad day.

Quote of the Day- "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"

Info for 5/22/04

Today, I graduated from High School. Good Lord it feels good to be finished. We grilled out and quite a bit of my family showed up. I had a blast. It also went along good with my eating because today was my scheduled day to eat what I want. I started off good, and ate oatmeal, nitrean and milk. For the cookout, I ate two lean hamburgers, some low fat baked beans, potato salad, chips and salsa, and a small piece of cake. Tonight for dinner I ate a gordita crunch and a chicken taco. I have no clue about my totals, but I'm not going to worry about it. This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I wannabebig!
    congratulations! I wish I was back in high school

Thank ya ryuage. I'm ready to get to college. I've already figured that I'm going to major in Athletic Training. I'm ready to get there.

Congrats bud and luck with College.

I still got about 4 weeks to go but I don't think I will graduate on stage [ too many days out of school ] . It really s*ck when you are a senior and then you move to another school and you don't know anyone. You don't get to graduate with your friends since you were a freshmen. I try not to get me down though but I just want to graduate and become a Marine.
    Last edited by beastin v6; 05-23-2004 at 08:30 AM.

I wannabebig!
    good luck with the athletic training, I am pursuing a similar degree as well after work. Then hopefully will get certified through ncsa, issa, and or cscs after I obtain my degree.

Thank ya beastin. This sounds bad, but except for a select few people at my school, I really couldn't careless about the rest of them. I've been at the same school for awhile, but I used to move every year, so I know how ya feel.