The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 65 of 284 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 7082
    I just checked back to the first page of your journal. Since starting, you've gained but 7 (good) lbs, and 70lbs on your x5 bench press. Congrats dude! See, all this happened after you decided to stop being a fatass and make something of yourself. Nice work You're an example to so many people.......
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Stash- That would be awesome if that were true.

SW- Yea, I've had a lot of thought fluctuations in the past. Now that I'm pretty sure of what I'm trying to do, I'm seein some decent results. I'm actually about 10lbs above my starting weight right now. Yea, deciding to stop being a ****in slob really helped turn things around. Thanks man.

Food:

Meal 1- Glass of Milk

Meal 2- Turkey, Chicken Sandwich, Chili, Potatos, 3 Glasses of Milk

Meal 3- Chicken Sandwich, Turkey Sandwich, Roast Beef Sandwich, 2 Large Glasses of Milk

Meal 4- Glass of Milk, 2 Balance Bars

Other:
    ETS

Workout: Form and Assistance Work

Squats:

135lbs x 5
    185lbs x 5
    225lbs x 5
    275lbs x 5

Good Mornings:

45lbs x 5
    65lbs x 5
    95lbs x 5
    115lbs x 5

Weighted Decline Situps:

BW x 10
    BW + 25lbs x 10
    BW + 25lbs x 10

Weighted Decline Russian Twists (2 Count, Left/Right equals 1 rep):

BW + 25lbs x 10
    BW + 25lbs x 9
    BW + 25lbs x 11

Decline Leg Lifts:

BW x 10
    BW x 10

Bent Knee Twisting Leg Raises (Left/Right Equals 1 Rep):

BW x 5
    BW x 5

Cardio:

25 minute run before morning classes
    2 mile bike ride and 1 mile run after work tonight

Overall a decent workout at best. I just didn't feel like I had the energy today. I guess it could be in part to the 20+ minutes of running I did before making it to the gym. i also only had half a glass of milk in me by the time I hit the gym. The squats felt tough today. Hopefully it's just one of those days. Overall form felt decent, strength just wasn't there like it usually is. Okay session at best.

Worked until 9:30 tonight then tried to hit the gym for a lil cardio workout again. I'm pretty tired.

Quote of the Day: "Quit bein a bitch Andrew, just suck it up and lift the ****in weight."

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Nice work, perhaps i should try out the Russian twists for my abs, since its the suxxor
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    You work on form with more than my max. And you say I'm catching up, lol.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Chomer- I highly recommend adding some Russian Twists. They really kill my abdominal area.

Mitch- HAHA yea, but squattings my forte. You're catching me in everything else.

Good session and nice job on the squats especially after a run!

Looking good bro. The running around and lack of cals probably caused you to have no energy for the weights. No big deal since it seems to be a productive day regardless. Good work on the DB presses a few sessions back. Box swuats are looking very strong as well.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Obliques get ****in' hammered from russian twists. They rock. I love'em.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wikked- Thanks man. The run and low food affected me more than I thought it would.

Eric- Thanks man. I'm hopin it was just the running/food, and not that I'm hitting some kinda rut.

SW- I agree.

Food:

Meal 1- Pint of Milk, Balance Bar

Meal 2- Turkey, Chicken Sandwich, Turkey Sandwich, Chili, 3 Glasses of Milk

Meal 3- Roast Beef Sandwich, Turkey Sandwich, 2 LARGE Glasses of Milk

Meal 4- 2 Balance Bars, Pint of Milk

Other:
    ETS

Workout: Upper Body 1

Yates Rows:

95lbs x 10
    115lbs x 10
    135lbs x 5
    155lbs x 5
    185lbs x 5
    205lbs x 5 (+10lbs)

Benchpress:

95lbs x 10
    115lbs x 10
    135lbs x 5
    155lbs x 5
    160lbs x 5
    175lbs x 7 (+2 reps)

Close Grip Chins (Palms Facing):

BW x 8 (+1 rep)
    BW x 5
    BW x 4.5

Cable Lateral Raises (Each Arm):

20lbs x 10
    30lbs x 5
    40lbs x 5
    40lbs x 5

Cable Crossovers (Each Arm):

30lbs x 10
    40lbs x 5
    50lbs x 5
    60lbs x 5
    70lbs x 8 (+3 reps)

Cardio:

2 mile run

Overall the session went VERY well. I was exhausted when I got into the gym, but was able to suck it up and get down to business. The rows felt awesome, except my grip kept slipping a bit. Benching went very well. I can def. feel my strength coming back. Chins were pretty decent. Grip was shot, and the handle was pretty big, which didn't make for a good combo. Shoulder strength is just as good as the day I took a break. The laterals felt great. The crossovers felt stronger. Overall, even though I was so tired, I was able to have a great session. Very happy with myself.

Woke up at 7 to go to classes this morning. Went to classes and then worked from 1:45 to 9pm tonight. Got absolutely hammered at work, so many damn customers. Didn't get to the gym until about 9:45. Was tired but worked out anyway. After lifting I ran two miles. Now I'm ****ing exhausted. Oh well.

Quote of the Day: "I ****ing won't be stopped. Nobody can stop me, NOBODY."

Can't nobody stop your flow as you well know...and with a schedule like yours too boot - great efforts man.

Good job man That bench is coming up nicely again. Do you even feel any twinges in that shoulder while benching? Doesn't sound like it.

My Exploits

Coke- Thanks man, my schedule is really starting to take a toll on me.

SW- Thanks man. I actually don't feel any soreness or twinge in my pec minor at all.

Food:

Meal 1- Balance Bar, Glass of Milk

Meal 2- Quart of Milk

Meal 3- Turkey, Chicken Sandwich, Hamburger Steak, Rice, 3 Glasses of Milk

Meal 4- Turkey Sandwich, Roast Beef Sandwich, Egg Sandwich, Large Glass of Milk

Meal 5- 2 Balance Bars, Glass of Milk

Other:
    ETS

Workout: Box Squats

*All squats done to a parallel box. All done touch and go.*

Squats:

135lbs x 10
    185lbs x 10
    205lbs x 5
    225lbs x 5
    245lbs x 3
    265lbs x 3

Put Belt On

275lbs x 2
    315lbs x 1 + 2 assisted (-1 rep)

****. ****. Damn. Piece of ****ing ****. Weak little bitch. AAAAHHHHHHH!!!

I just felt so weak in the gym today. Everything felt heavy. My knees hurt, and I just didn't feel like it was there. My schedule is killing me. I didn't go to bed till' after 2 last night and got up to go to the gym and squat this morning before classes. I think I'm going to take a week off from squatting. The last sessions just haven't been there. I think I'm burning myself out by squatting so much and for so long. I'll take a week off and hit it hard next Wed. Hopefully my upperbody session tomorrow will be better than this piece of **** thing today.

Damn, where'd everybody go. I know my sessions have been sucking major ass, but I figured more of ya'll would be around to pick on me haha.

Quote of the Day: "I'm weak."
    Last edited by Chubrock; 03-09-2005 at 05:57 PM.

Me lurkey lurkey.

Your sessions have been awesome, good job Chubmaster.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Great job man, those are some sweet box squats. With all the squatting you've been doing, a week of might not be a bad thing.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Hey man, everyone has some good and some not as good days in the gym. Just remember that no one single session will make or break your training. Keep up the hard work man...sessions are looking ace.
    Last edited by pruneman; 03-09-2005 at 08:04 PM.
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Stop whining you fat mother ****er.

No one is perfect man. You can't make gains every single session, though you have been for the most part.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Off days in the gym happen to us all. Hell, I've gone through "off weeks", lol. Just take some time to regroup, and hit it hard again!
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    That's the correct way of a meathead reacting to a ****ty workout.

All kidding aside, still heavy lifts though.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Dizzam Chubs 335X1 is an awsome weight. Next time I squat I have to try and squat more than you seing that I outweigh you by 50 lbs. It has to be the milk. Got milk?

Benching looking solid too.

You have been training heavy squats for an elongated period of time, that in addition to lack of cals is a sub par training session waiting to happen.

I thought it was dead as hell in here too just yesterday, but you gets much love from the peeps - don't forget it!!...the session was good especially under them conditions - that is some determination (or craziness) to get in the gym anyways, get some sleep mang.

Nice work benching bro. Those lateral raises are looking strong.

The squat isnt looking bad for not feeling it that day. Good effort for sure
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Stash- Thanks bro. Thanks for hangin around even if you didn't post anything.

Cp- Thanks man. I'm going to have to. My schedule is just killing me and I'm not able to recover as fast for my squat sessions.

Prune- Thanks man. I just hate failing at anything.

Mitch- Hahaha, fat huh. Nah, I'm just a little soft around the edges lol.

Veet- Thanks man. I understand I'll hit bad spots, I just hate doing it.

Chomer- HAHA not strong enough to call myself a meathead.

Doug- LOL yea it's in the milk. Thanks man.

Coke- Ha, thanks man. I'm not too crazy I don't think, just motivated.

Eric- Thanks man. My bench is starting to go back up. Feels good.

I wannabebig!
    blarg.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Meal 4- Turkey Sandwich, Roast Beef Sandwich, Egg Sandwich, Large Glass of Milk
    Hey, Joey, is that you? That's a lot of sandwiches at one sitting!!

I wouldn't say your workouts are looking bad, Chubbo. Maybe what cphafner said, though. Could be good to take a week off from leg stuff.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Ryu- Blarg?

Guido- Hahaha, who's Joey? Yea I'm going to take a week off from squatting.

Food:

Meal 1- Balance Bar, Glass of Milk

Meal 2- Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Sandwich, Rice, 3 Glasses of Milk

Meal 3- Spicy Chicken Sandwich

Meal 4- Balance Bar, Hamburger Steak and Rice, Glass of Milk

Other:
    ETS

Workout: Upper Body 2

DB Press:

50s x 10
    50s x 5
    60s x 5
    70s x 5
    80s x 5 and 1 assisted (+5lbs)

Chinups:

BW x 5
    BW + 5lbs x 4
    BW + 10lbs x 3
    BW + 15lbs x 2
    BW + 25lbs x 1 (+5lbs)
    BW + 35lbs x 2 (+15lbs)
    BW + 45lbs x 1 (+25lbs)

BB Shrugs:

135lbs x 10
    225lbs x 10
    275lbs x 5 (+50lbs)

Concentration Curl/Straight Bar Pushdowns Lightning Round (No break at all throughout the "set")

35s x 8 (+3 reps)/130lbs x 10/35s x 7 (+2 reps)/130lbs x 10/35s x 6 (+1 rep)

Overall a VERY good workout. I went in there after the damn 80s and threw em up like it won't nothin. Decided to do some chins. Figured I'd work my way down to a one rep lift. REALLY surprised myself by being able to get the 45lbs up. Felt great. Shrugs were pretty good. Grip failed long before traps fatigued. Just decided to do the Pressdowns/Curls for the hell of it. Was kinda pressed for time at the end so wanted to hit em hard.

Quote of the Day: "Yea, umm do you think you could get some 100lb DBs in here before summer?"
    Last edited by Chubrock; 03-10-2005 at 08:37 PM.