Page 92 of 286 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 7133

Thread: Won't Stop, Won't Quit, and Won't EVER Give Up!

Nice session Chubrock.

Are you doing a westside variant? How's it working for you so far? I'm considering switching to a classic 5x5 program or Westside. Not sure which to go with yet. I'm leaning towards the 5x5, cuz I workout alone at home and can't do some of the westside stuff with chains, bands, boards etc.

Nick- Thanks man. I don't time my rests. I just wait until I feel I've recovered. When I say "Speed" I mean that the actual lift is quick, not the rest times.

UFC- Welcome to the journal. I'm doing a modified 5x5. I'd DEF. recommend it. I've found that my strength gains have been pretty steady over the last several weeks. You'll have to drop a bit of weight in order to get through the 5x5 but it's worth it. I love my split.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Brute- DAMN BRO!!! How you been doin? Glad to see you back and around here.
    hehe, yeah I guess I have been gone a while. I'm getting a little stir crazy actually. 5 weeks of absolutely nothing, with about 10 days of that being bed ridden in pain. I am teh weak, small and out of shape, and still can't start lifting yet. I did manage to start some light cardio and RC work(as preventative maintenance for when I start lifting again) today though. WOOHOOO!

Nice looking squats there today bro'.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Your doing awesome drew, Hope you had a great Turkey day...
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Nice squatting, skinny!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Nice squatting man. Can you explain how you perform staggered squats?

Raising up real sweet with the squats and deads, I truly appreciate the direction you're going in with it all!!
    Last edited by Coke; 11-29-2005 at 06:26 AM.

Brute- Damn man. That sucks. I know what you're going through though. After I had my surgery I couldn't do anything for a bit, and it drove me absolutely crazy. Don't do anything rash though, and stay healthy so you can hit it hard when you're fully healed.

Five-Oh- Thanks man, I'm trying. I had a great Turkey Day. Ate a lot of food, but actually did splurge as much as I thought I would.

Antonia- Skinny huh....At least I can see over the steering wheel to drive to the gym...

Stack- Thanks man. I'll try to explain it the best I can. I tried to explain it to Anthony, but I dunno if he got it or not. You know Canadians are all that smart.....

Coke- Thanks bro. I'm sticking with it. Not throwing up any respectable numbers, but putting up what I can.

Staggered Squats:

Think about walking down the street and stopping when both feet hit the pavement. One foot should be in front of the other and both feet should be pointing forward. The back foot could be pointed out at a 45 degree as you begin the squat. Begin the squatting movement by sitting back just like you normally would, and squatting as low as you can go. At the bottom of the squat, you should resemble a baseball catcher behind the plate, except you will have one foot a foot or so behind the other, depending on how tall you are. Your knees should never touch the ground.

I do these just as a very quick warm up. They also are the same stance and setup we use for a double leg takedown in BJJ.

Workout: BJJ Focus

Weighted Pullups-

BW x 5
    BW + 10lbs x 5
    BW + 15lbs x 5
    BW + 25lbs x 5
    BW + 45lbs x 5 (+1 rep)

Bench-

45lbs x 10
    95lbs x 10
    135lbs x 5
    175lbs x 5 (+10lbs)
    175lbs x 5 (+10lbs)
    175lbs x 5 (+10lbs)
    175lbs x 5 (+10lbs)
    175lbs x 5 (+10lbs)

1 Arm Seated Cable Rows-

60lbs x 5
    75lbs x 5
    90lbs x 5
    105lbs x 5 + 5 2 Arm Rows

Overall a very good workout. The chins were heavy, but managed to get em up. I was happy with that. Bench is still coming along pretty good. These sets weren't as easy as last weeks, so my gains may begin to slow down. I need to focus on keeping my left wrist in line the whole time. I have a bad habit of letting my hand roll back over my wrist while I bench, and it causes some stiffness and pain. Rows were heavy as usual. Overall very happy with today's session.

Squat description sounds like a split squat to me. They are hard. Good job doing them, though.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Nick- Thanks man.

BJJ-

Tonight was well, freakin awesome!! Worked on a lot of takedowns in both classes. Teaching the kids class is really helping me get everything down correctly. Worked on several transitions from different takedowns. Really like 2 in particular. Rolled some at the end of the last class. Rolled with one of the best guys in there. Choked him unconscious. He then proceeded to wake up, sweep me, and arm bar the hell out of me lol. He's an awesome guy and good friend. Don't know if he let me get the choke, and didn't realize I could actually finish from there or what. I know he couldn't stop complementing me after we rolled. Overall great session.

Very nice pullups and benching dude.

Damn, I wanna start training MMA. I've been meaning to for over a year, but have been procrastinating. I wanna do boxing too. And Muay Thai. Hell I wanna do so many things. I should just pick one and go with it. I found an MMA school that teaches everything, I should just go with them.

I realize that technique is far more important that raw strength in MMA, but do you find that your strength gains help you a lot when you're sparring with ppl?
    Last edited by ufc2005; 11-29-2005 at 09:14 PM.

I really think strength and conditioning can carry your game so far. Given equal opponents, the better technique will always prevail, but strength can take your game to a new level as well. The ability to control somebody else can make or break the sparring, and I've found that as I'm getting stronger I'm having a bit of an easier time. Granted I could be getting more techniquelly sound, but this is just what I've observed.

Really taking off with all this. Nice job.

Where did you get your lifting split? Come up with it yourself, or model it off of a certain routine? I know it's a 5x5, but just wondered how/why you picked what lifts to do on what day and what not.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Thanks man. Initially I came up with all this on just prior knowledge. I've kept pretty much the same lifts for awhile now. I talked a bit to Isaac and told him what my goals were and all that, and he tweaked my split just a little bit, but for the most part, I just decided to get a good split centered around some heavy compound lifts. I'm pretty happy with it.

That is a ****ing helluva w/o drew.. Great job on choking that dude out too.

You better be going to the Arnold, so you can show me some cool ****..
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Doing tremendous in there, rendered ole boy unconscious - ...great you are mastering everything!!

Awesome showings, twiggy. Did he actually pass out? That's awesome! I almost puked a bologna sandwich into the face of a guy last night when he was showing me a new gi choke. Let's just say it works really well!! LOL!

Five-Oh- Thanks bro. I'm trying to put up some decent numbers, though I've got a ways to go. I'm trying to get everybody from the studio to go to the Gracie Nationals (held at the Arnold) and compete, but I dunno if that'll happen. I might be able to go even if it doesn't happen.

Coke- Thanks man. I dunno about mastering, but I'm trying.

Lollipop Kid- Thanks bro haha. Yea he actually went out. He's much better than I am though, so I dunno if he gave me the choke or a look at the choke and just underestimated what I could actually pull off. Either way, as he came too, he swept me and arm barred me haha. Oh well. About that gi choke, care to explain how you do it?

Anthony vs. Chubrock and Me. Let's get it on. Haha.

Actually, I wouldn't be of much help to you Chubrock. I'd be KOed in a couple of seconds and then you'd have to deal with him by yourself.

UFC- It's all good man. I'd just put my hand on his head and extend my arm out and then he couldn't touch me. You know those munchkins are only like 3ft tall. Plus if he did take me down, he's knows I'd choke his ass out haha.

Let's see if I can remember ... they start in your guard, you grab high on their collar, and bring your legs up like you would for a triangle except you don't lock them. You turn your hands inward so your knuckles press into the side of their neck and use your knees to apply more pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    UFC- It's all good man. I'd just put my hand on his head and extend my arm out and then he couldn't touch me. You know those munchkins are only like 3ft tall. Plus if he did take me down, he's knows I'd choke his ass out haha.
    I'd counter that I could climb up your arm and maul you to death, but those twigs would probably break under the pressure. And I'd really prefer if you stayed away from my ass. Thank you.

Haha I thought you liked a little man love. My arms may be twigs, but they still chin almost as much as you haha.

On that choke, do you reach cross the body with one arm, straight across with one arm, cross the body with both arms, straight across with both arms or what? Also do you go thumb in, or fingers in?

Both arms are straight, so your right hand grips their left collar and vice versa. Thumbs are inside and when you twist your hands, the first knuckle should be pressed into their neck.