Thread: off day nutrition?

off day nutrition?

is it fine to eat less on your off days, because theres no pwo shake, I seem to have a deficit of about 300 cals on my off days and dont really have time to squeeze in another meal. What do you guys think, should I spread it out among the other meals I have? I figure that I am not burning the 300 cals on my off days, so there's no need to replace them, I could be wrong though. Thanks in advance guys.

I've read both sides... one side says you should maintain the same cals cause your body is doing a lot of repair work on your off days and needs the food, the other side say your doing less and burning fewer calories so you can get away with less. If you are gaining I wouldn't worry about it, if you're not real happy, then throw in a shake on your off days, it's cheap and protein is always good!
    Last edited by Geeper; 03-16-2005 at 02:46 PM.

Trying to learn on the fly
    if you are bulking, you will probably want the extra calories, but if cutting, it is probably best to leave them out

Banned
    Weekly cals are more important than daily. How you split them is up to you to some degree anyway.

Eg. If you need 21,000 cals/week to be at the appropriate surplus you can have 3000/day, or you can have 3200 on each of 4 workout days and 2733 on the 3 off days.

Hmmmm...there IS something to be said for cycling them. I have better composition results if I keep varying my cals and carbs than if I do exactly the same thing every day. I'm sure this is fairly individual, though. But it seems to keep "tricking" my metabolism, which seems to be more important when I'm cutting than when I'm bulking.

My .02.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Hmmmm...there IS something to be said for cycling them. I have better composition results if I keep varying my cals and carbs than if I do exactly the same thing every day. I'm sure this is fairly individual, though. But it seems to keep "tricking" my metabolism, which seems to be more important when I'm cutting than when I'm bulking.

My .02.
    Personally, I'm all for carb cycling. I think your training should "cycle" your calories though.

Perhaps. But I find it a LOT easier to go low calorie on low carb days. Leaves me some calorie room for the higher carb days, when I could literally eat all damned DAY!

<sigh>

I love food.

thanks for the replys, I never thought of it that way vido, sounds like sound advice to me.