The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    BIG BOI

BIG CALVIN'S MISSION

ok im back to the journal, i have been getting back to eating right and training (light). i have a couple health problems but im doing better . im diabetic type 2, my liver enzymes are way high, my testosterone is low,i have hypothyroidism. wanted a place where i could share my results with other people and maybe get some motivation from my results. ok here we go:

goals:
    lose fat
    gain strength
    get my liver enzymes lower(mines naturally high)
    get my testosterone higher(mines naturally low)
    get my blood sugar in line

wt: 425(down from 470!) lbs
    bf: 51.5%
    ffm: 206.13 lbs
    fm: 218.87
    my lifts are i would say "around"(im getting started again so muscle memory has to kick in before i can hit those numbers)
    max bench: 300+
    max squat: 300+
    max deadlift: 250+

diet:
    around 2500 calories
    40% protein
    30% carbs
    30% fat

meal 1
    myoplex
    1 tbsp flax or hemp oil

meal 2
    8oz. chicken breast
    2 natural apple sauces

meal 3
    myoplex
    1 tbsp flax oil or hemp oil

meal 4
    8oz. turkey
    2 natural apple sauce

meal 5
    myoplex
    1 tbsp fla or hemp oil

meal 6
    6oz. top sirloin steak
    2 natural apple sauces

supplements:
    dieters multi
    milk thristle extract

meds:
    glugavance 500mg twice a day
    synthroid .1mcg (or mg i forget) a day

adding more later

training:
    well im gonna start westside in about 2-4 weeks but now im gonna do a starting routine just to get back into things.

monday,wednesday,friday
    3-5x5 squats or good mornings
    4-5x5 db rows or pulldowns
    5x5 bb bench or db press

done at home 3 times per week:
    3x10 crunches
    3x10 weighted side bends
    3x20 roator cuff work
    3x20 light seated good mornings(only done twice a week)

first couple workouts light add add on every workout till i hit my 1rm. once it gets hard ill do light/med./heavy days then do westide.

cardio:
    30 min. 3 times a week to start.

well thats about it for now. im gonna write ever workout day so see u friday.
    Last edited by big calvin; 10-21-2001 at 09:59 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

how do you bench the same as you squat and both of these are higher than your deadlift?!
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

BIG BOI
    cause im over 400lbs. if i lost say 150 pounds and maintained my strength my lifts would be like B: 300 S:450 D:400....see my point? and my deadlift is my weakest lift....my core is'nt strong anuff and my grip is not the best.

Makes sense to me. Sounds like with weighing that much, working out, and sticking to that diet; you should drop pounds like it's your job. Good luck!

hey calvin?

I would suggest taking Maca alongside your meds....it regulates your entire endocrine system, i've heard some people were able to reduce their thyroid meds, or go off them completely, using it, as well as it will help increase test levels, and get your pancreas working right too. Might help with the liver enzymes, but that might be caused by the hypo. oh it also supports the adrenals.

cool thing about it is it just supports those organs..it doesn't actually stimulate them.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

BIG BOI
    MA: yets hope so im not sure if this is gonna work or i should stick to low carbs...today wasnt easy(alot harder then low carbs). but i was doing ok. im starving all the time lol

tryska: are u talking about Maca Pure (Lepidium meyenii)? isnt that like a "supplement" in place of ghb? i have takin ghb to go to sleep and it worked well but used to much one night and it back fired and i was up all night. i use to melatonin(3-6mg) but i stoped last week cause i have been taking it for a long long time.

I've got friends who within the past year have lost around 100 lbs from doing no carb diets. They have completely changed their appearance, but not only did they lose fat; they also lost a LOT of muscle.

I think that this diet you're on might take longer to shred the fat, but it will keep you healthier and with you lifting it will help as well.

calvin...no...not GHB....more like DHEA, except, it doesn't add "extra" hormones to your body, and it doesn't stimulate your endocrine glands in any kinda way. it basically just brings your glands into balance....not quite sure on the mechanism, but it's quite safe. It's actually a beetroot looking vegetable that south americans eat, so it's like a foodstuff, but it has alkaloids in it that act on the endocrine system, and phytosterols (plant testosterones (for lack of a better word). The phytosterols aren't that active, but the alkaloids are great. like i said, I've hear of people being able to cut down their meds, or go off them totally using this stuff.

other key thing to remember is when you are hypothyroid, it's possible you are hypoadrenal too. You ever had to take Cortef? Maca is kinda like adrenal therapy as well. and yes..I mean like Maca Pure. 1 500mg cap, three times daily.

BIG BOI
    i just wanted to say that dont back off from writing on my journal to any one. i like when people write me back. just to let others know.

ok MA, well im always doing some type of low carbs thing. just now i wanted to test out higher carbs and im not sure. my glucose is below 100 when im low carbs but today after much of feeling starved my glucose was 180. so its higher and thats what has me thinking it wasnt such a good idea....now im at a point that i dont really mind if some muscle is lost. ill try my best through supplements and strength training to keep most but i know after i have lost alot of weight and increase my carbs to say 100-150g ill make good gains...im a classic endomorph . never can get cut but can gain strength pretty easy. the thing is im always trying to lose weight and my strength doesnt have a real chance to gain full speed. im about 80% sure im gonna swicth to low carbs again. it was fun while it lasted but im gonna have to be a low carber for life.

hey calvin...one other thing.....on the insulin spike...how about keeping the cabr ratio, but choosing different sources for your carbs? like cut out some of the apple sauce and add in veggies instead?

you ever read the Protein Power Life Plan by Eades and Eades? that syle of diet might suit you better...They are Endos i think, and run a Bariatrics practice, and used that way of eating for their diabetic patients. It's less stringent then a keto-type plan, but not quite the same as this zone thing you got going on......

BIG BOI
    well i know its bad and stuff but i just dont eat veggies. i was gonna try to eat mushrooms with steak in soy sauce but then thats when im doing low carbs. i have the protien power book and it looks like a great plan but i mean thats very little differnce with that and atkins other then a bit more carbs and less overall food .so if do eat low carbs then its more or less like those 2 diets. i think im just gonna go back to low carbs.

BIG BOI
    -diet is good. but im changing it to ketogenic diet. i just dont know if i should go SKD or TKD. 2500 calories 71% fat,3% carbs,26% protein.

-training was pretty good. went very light but its really my first real first day back.

weightxrepsxsets

squat 135x5x3
    pulldowns 140x5x5
    bench press 135x5x5
    crunches 3x10xbodyweight
    side bends 3x10x20 db's
    cuff rotations 3x20x10 db's
    Last edited by big calvin; 10-05-2001 at 03:21 PM.

BIG BOI
    today was pretty good keto day. my % isnt want i wanted but i think it'll work the same

meal 1
    6 bacon & 3 eggs

meal 2
    2 atkin pre made shakes

meal 3
    15 chicken wings

meal 4
    2 atkin pre made shakes

meal 5
    12oz. cubed steak

i was thinking maybe some of that dhea would help with my test levels and make me feel a little less depressed. i think im gonna try it. and im gonna add a fat burner, i just dont know which yet.

BIG BOI
    well today was another perfect day! HELL YEAH!!! im taking tryska's advice and doing protein power, i know in the long run ill be better and it looks a little healthier then atkins(more controled, and better fats).

i think my waters over a gallon but im gonna start measuring to make sure.

ohh and i think im adding these supplements:
    DIM(estrogen controller)
    im not sure which mica product to use yet im still looking
    fuzu
    adipokinetix
    gluggobolic

here is how today went:

9:00am
    6oz. sirloin steak cooked in 1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 an apple

12:00pm
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 serving peanuts

3:00pm
    8oz. chicken breast cooked in 1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 an apple

6:00pm
    same as meal 2

and at 9:00pm ill have a 6oz. steak with 1 serving peanuts.

total carbs where about 30-35g. but substacting the fiber it drops to like 20-25.

tomorrows training day. cant wait

hey calvin! right on...glad i could help out....one thing - That DIM may not be necesary if you decide to take Maca....I've never heard of it before...does it prevent test - estrogen conversion?

BIG BOI
    tryska:
    yeah its for a better estrogen to testosterone %.

well i had to switch back, to little food for me my food isnt really bad just basic.

here is how today went:

the first 2 meals where protien power and the rest where atkins:

meal 1
    1 low carb pre-made protein shake

meal 2
    6oz. flank steak
    2 slices cantaloupe

meal 3
    12oz. steak

meal 4
    10-14 chicken wings

meal 5
    atkins shake

trained today and it went pretty good,but i lifted of the squat rack when unracking it wrong and my leg felt weird so i stoped after 3 sets . went a little heavier and still could handle more! i love muscle memory!

squats
    bar 5
    135 1...stoped

pulldowns
    100 5
    140 5
    180 5

bench press(felt very tight and pretty easy, thought it was gonna be harder)
    135 5
    185 5
    205 5

i just wanted to tell u guys my rep speed is fast. not super fast but no neg. but uber control. so its like...bing,bing,bing,bing,bing and im done.

How many cals is that? How much you weigh?

BIG BOI
    im 420-425

im tring to keep my calories at around 2800 but some days it drops to like 2000.

BIG BOI
    todays diet was great! felt pretty good. training tomorrow...the funny thing is i did 3 sets of bench and pulldowns on monday and only 1-2 sets for squats and my legs are soar and not my chest or back! lol ohh well i just hope i can hit squats tomorrow.

meal 1
    12oz. steak

meal 2
    1 atkin shake

meal 3
    12 chicken wings

meal 4
    1 atkin shake

meal 5
    12oz. steak

water was a bit low today. so im gonna try and up it.

no supplements yet, gotta go out and buy it

BIG BOI
    another great day! didnt train i was still to sore, tomorrow i think ill do it...

meal 1-6 bacons and 3 eggs
    meal 2-1 atkin shake
    meal 3-12oz. pork chops
    meal 4-1 atkin shake
    meal 5-12oz. flank steak

i didnt like the eggs(never really have) but it was ok.

i made my long term goal weight. 250lbs at 20% body fat. lets see how long it take me

BIG BOI
    F'n A man! i cheated today

i dont know what happend i just really woke up on the wrong side of the bed today...started off at BK and ended at pizza hut! man and i was so F'n proud of my self for not cheating for so long! well im gonna try and sleep it off and wake up tomorrow to a dose of morning cardio! talk to u tomorrow...wish me luck
    Last edited by big calvin; 10-11-2001 at 06:20 PM.

Hey man, just lift extra heavy next time, put those extra cals to work.

Insignificant setback in the scheme of things.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

BIG BOI
    thanks. yeah man i cant wait to start going heavy! im having a powerlifting contest in 3 months with my cousin and brother. we're not gonna go by weight cause my cousin is 180lbs and my brother is 275lbs so its a little differnt so we are gonna go by LBM and see if like how more we can bench then LBM...i know its not perfect but it keeps me motivated. my cousins LBM is like 160 and so is my brothers but mines around 200. so im gonna shoot for 350-400 max. i think my cousin can hit 315 for a max and my brother well i think he'll get like 285 or so. lets hope i win!

BIG BOI
    today was great! changed it to more carbs and less fat and i did pretty good today.

meal 1
    myoplex

meal 2
    8oz. chicken breast
    1.5 cups corn

meal 3
    myoplex

meal 4
    8oz. turkey
    4 slices wheat bread

meal 5
    myoplex

meal 6
    6oz. sirloin steak
    2 natural apple sauces

im not sure if im gonna add flax or hemp oil to the shakes...

Mystic Eric
    good job man. keep up the good work