The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Soc Paper

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887

    Soc Paper

    I just have to rant because i have 1200 word essay due on how Drug Company commericals are causing our children to grow up faster. I was trying to find a subject to write about and i told my Sociology Proff about a person whos 7 year old kid thinks she needs Zoloft because she was sad and the tv said that if you are sad you need Zoloft. So now that is my project..AHHHH

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member geoffgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,445
    well to be fair, you'll also have to do an analysis of when such commercials are on television.
    Cuz you can b damn sure that whoever plans the media for said pharma companies would be fired for putting a zoloft commercial on during saturday morning cartoons just as soon as if they put a Ford F150 commercial on Lifetime.
    Targeted marketing is your enemy in this paper and you should devote some space to it.

  4. #3
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,193
    lavitra ad during the super bowl?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  5. #4
    Ash "Money" Hegde Y2A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryska
    lavitra ad during the super bowl?
    This is good marketing, guys watch football, the ones that cant get it up ask their doc about lavitra
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

    Dontate to my favorite charity!

  6. #5
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    He was explaing how tv has made children grown up too fast. He said children read childrens books because they can only read at what their level of comprehension is. While a child can watch tv and see things that they cannot understand the true meaning of that show or commercial

  7. #6
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,193
    you're never too young to learn about anal leakage as a side effect.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  8. #7
    Teh kleptomaniac VasDeferens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    687
    Methyl 1 Ad

  9. #8
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by budlight
    Methyl 1 Ad
    never saw it

  10. #9
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    or Mommy " why does that woman sound so happy when she is washing her hair with Herbal Essence? why does she kepp yelling YES! YES! YES!...

  11. #10
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,193
    good point.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  12. #11
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,193
    yes, but considering the bruhaha about nipple-gate at a family event...i think the lavitra ads, as well as some of the beer commercials were potentially as scarring to innocent children as janet's saggy pierced boob.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  13. #12
    Senior Member geoffgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryska
    i think the lavitra ads, as well as some of the beer commercials were potentially as scarring to innocent children as janet's saggy pierced boob.
    right...cuz when I was 5 if I saw a boob, heard a woman moan, saw someone decapitated, I'd be scarred?
    If your a pansie at 5 you'll be a pansie all your life.
    Our society needs to stop wasting so much time worry about and coddling children
    and down with school budgets for christs sake!!!!
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 03-30-2004 at 11:23 AM.

  14. #13
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,193
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    right...cuz when I was 5 if I saw a boob, heard a woman moan, saw someone decapitated, I'd be scarred?
    If your a pansie at 5 you'll be a pansie all your life.
    Our society needs to stop wasting so much time worry about and coddling children
    and down with school budgets for christs sake!!!!
    exactly. my coworkers and i are talkign about this at the moment, and how on italian tv boobs are pretty commonplace, and in rural african countries boobs jsut hang out keeping their owners company.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  15. #14
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    right...cuz when I was 5 if I saw a boob, heard a woman moan, saw someone decapitated, I'd be scarred?
    If your a pansie at 5 you'll be a pansie all your life.
    Our society needs to stop wasting so much time worry about and coddling children
    and down with school budgets for christs sake!!!!
    Ok being a parent exposure to some nudity to me is allright. But i feel that their should be limits on the sexual themes and content of commericals. I know Europe is different. Heck in England they have a page 3 girl in the paper who is topless. I just feel that here in america things are getting pushed too far. Would you as a five year old really understand watching Howard Stern on E television?

  16. #15
    Senior Member geoffgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by ogarchamplin
    Would you as a five year old really understand watching Howard Stern on E television?
    I dont think I would understand it...
    would I ask questions about it? probably!
    would I care what the answers are? doubt it!
    you can tell a 5 year old that they were hatched out of an egg and they'd belive you

    if I did understand it I probably wouldn't care enough to watch it

    kinda like now... I'm 27 and when I'm hanging out with girls and they wanna watch Lifetime, I understand it, but I'd rather poke out my eyes and put pencils in my ears than corrupt my mind with that feminazi man hating propaganda.

    Now that crap could scar a child!!!!!!!!
    *LOL*

    Now that I think about it, I think I'd sooner let my kids watch
    porn + the raunchiest/raciest comedians + war footage
    then let them watch some of the propaganda that we have on tv these days like political speeches, Fox news channel, Lifetime, etc...

    at least that way they'd be able to make up their own minds and question what they saw rather than listening to manipulated statistics, patented lies, and silver tongued schmucks like Bill Oreilly trying to warp their mind
    .....
    would I plop the kid down in front of porn and those things? of course not...but if they flip it on you wouldn't see me care.

    Granted I'm the product of 2 european born parents...who were giving me shots of tequila and rum at age 4 to get over colds and offering my friends beer with dinner when we were 10 (at least until some prude parents found out)
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 03-30-2004 at 12:19 PM.

  17. #16
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    I know this is an old post but today i received my new Newsweek in the mail. And i was reading this really interesting scientfic article about how Heartburn and Heart Attack symptons are alike. I find out in the end that the best way to prevent trying to figure out if it was heartburn or not was to take THE PURPLE PILL. I was a damn ad for heartburn control..i hate the advertisers

  18. #17
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    Heck even Siera Mist shows a guy in a kilt getting his testes cooled by cold air? if i want a soda i dont want it to freeze the boys below

  19. #18
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,193
    I definitely wouldn't want my kids watching Howard Stern.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  20. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by ogarchamplin
    I just have to rant because i have 1200 word essay due on how Drug Company commericals are causing our children to grow up faster. I was trying to find a subject to write about and i told my Sociology Proff about a person whos 7 year old kid thinks she needs Zoloft because she was sad and the tv said that if you are sad you need Zoloft. So now that is my project..AHHHH

    But the FCC is worried about exposing Janet Jackson's nipple for 3 seconds.

    Oh no.

  21. #20
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887

  22. #21
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    Ok i turned in my paper and its worth 25% of my total grade. I am posting it and if you could let me know what you think.


    Epidemic of childhood obesity, violence on the rise, increase drug use among young kids, sexy television commercials; these cries come from all directions. Where does the blame lie? Some say parents have lost control of the family unit while others blame society as a whole. Are the times we live in getting more dangerous? Or is our media just running amuck? As a result of extensive studies, many are coming to the conclusion that the media deserves the blame. Television, computers, and video games are assuming the brunt of these accusations as well as music and magazines. But we need to evaluate the root or roots of the quickly rising problems before we pass judgment and declare the media guilty. Society as a whole questions whether or not media adversely affects the behavior of our young people. The evidence of numerous studies suggests that the powerful influence of the media causes children to mimic the behavior they see, to become desensitized to the reality and consequences of violent behavior, to indulge in poor eating habits resulting in increased childhood obesity, and to view sex as recreational activity without consequences.
    First let’s examine the power of the media. Sometimes its impact can be seen immediately. For instance, children who have just finished watching a superhero beat up the bad guy and save the day often mimic what they have seen. Within minutes of seeing this, either during the movie or shortly after, the child begins to imitate the fighting techniques. Perhaps the child even attempts to practice on a sibling or parent. Most people have shared in this experience at least once. Behavior like this generally falls into the category of “boys will boys” or “child’s play”. But perhaps this is just the beginning of media side effects seen in children today. Other side effects relating to violent behavior can be but are not limited to hitting or pushing other children as well as verbal aggression.
    This behavior often leads to more aggressive and or violent behaviors perhaps even criminal.
    The rise in violent crimes committed by children can not be denied. One can hardly read a newspaper or watch the news without hearing about the latest murder of one child by another or rape. This has impacted the way our legal systems function. Children as young as twelve or thirteen can now be tried as an adult. If the violence committed by children continues at the current rate, we can expect to see even six, seven and eight year olds facing adult charges. These statistics affect our educational system as well with increased security and zero tolerance rules. When I was growing up a kid could say “I’m going to kill you or I wish you were dead” as an expression of anger. The only punishment would be a verbal warning or “that isn’t very nice”. Perhaps you could be made to apologize or at the very worst get a note sent home to mom. Now, a similar offense would mandate expulsion and any myriad of legal repercussions.
    The impact of the media does not need to be as immediate or extreme to be of concern. Many more subtle aspects equally effect children’s behavior and can be equally detrimental. A study has shown that “Children between the ages of 6 and 14 watch about 25 hours of television per week and are exposed to as many as 20,000 commercials in a single year.”(Elizabeth Moore, Richard Lutz 1) What impression has the increased television watching left on our society and our children? Research shows that children under the age of eight are unable to comprehend the messages conveyed through advertising. They can not critically analyze the messages being sent through such material. With this information it is clear that children falling into this age bracket can not possibly understand the television commercials for products such as Viagra, Zoloft, The Purple Pill, or any commercials that use sexual overtones as a selling point. Nevertheless the media bombards children s well as adults daily with these and similar messages.
    A well known example is the Herbal Essence Shampoo commercial. A lady lets out an orgasmic moan while she uses the shampoo. What kind of questions does this evoke in our children? How have such suggestions influenced the development of children and their perception of sex? According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, “Approximately one fourth of sexually active adolescents become infected with an STD each year, accounting for 3 million cases…” Various components may affect the rise in adolescent sexuality however many believe the media significantly contributes to this problem. The American Academy of Pediatrics further states that “Adolescents have ranked the media second only to school sex education programs as a leading source of information about sex.” If the young people of America identify and verbalize such a fact, we need to pay attention. Furthermore, the American media continues to gain a reputation for being the most sexually suggestive in the Western Hemisphere. The increase of promiscuity demonstrates as much. The media drives the message of excess and disregard for unpleasant consequences. They focus only on the pleasure of now with no worries of tomorrow. This not only applies to sexuality and promiscuity but also to nutrition and eating habits.
    Psychologist Dale Kunkel, PH.D, states that “While older children and adults understand the inherent bias of advertising, younger children do not and therefore tend to interpret commercial claims and appeals as accurate and truthful information.”(APA, Pg1) This presents an issue of great concern when you consider that the majority of products being marketed to young children are sweet sugary cereals, candy, snack foods, sodas and the like. This type of advertising strongly promotes poor eating habits and over all poor nutrition. The growing epidemic of childhood obesity could very well be a direct result of such carefully targeted advertising. “For these reasons, a task force of the American Psychological Association (APA) is recommending that advertising targeting children under the age of eight be restricted.” We have been taught all our lives that the eating habits developed in early childhood generally stay with us as adults. Thus chubby kids become fat adults which create the market for all those “lose weight quick” schemes that plague our society. The same media that targets children and promotes childhood obesity then turns around and advertises that in order to be happy you must be thin. So the chubby kids who became fat adults become trapped in a cycle of self loathing. Some fat adults will take the Zoloft option others the “lose weight quick” cycle; either way the media wins and sells its products. Although to many the negative effects the media have on children and society appear undeniable, there are some who beg to differ.
    “Sociologist and media scholar Karen Sternheimer doesn’t argue mass media has no influence on youth but rather that the influence is far more complex, individual and varied than the simplistic “monkey-see-monkey-do” effect postulated by those who blame rap music……and advertising for youthful sex, violence and materialism.” Her main point being society’s fear of social change and the future represented by our youth is the root of the media bashing as she calls it. Although she makes valid points well worth consideration, the media still must be held accountable for its impact on the behavior of America’s young people.
    Clearly, a problem exists with the effects the media has on the behavior of children. To what extent seems to be the greater argument. But while adults debate the pros, cons and other details children and society continue to suffer and problems grow. Society can continue to evaluate, study, and analyze the issues or it can initiate change. The old saying goes “if you’re not part of the solution then you’re part of the problem” so which one will you be?

  23. #22
    Banned Reinier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    south west Holland Europe
    Posts
    8,842
    Hm. There are some things I can think of:

    *Where is the title?

    *Your first sentence is a bit strange. It sums up supposed effects of this breakdown but then puts in sexy commercials, which is more like a possible cause.

    *"Where does the blame lie" - should this not say, who is to blame, or what is the cause?

    *Your essay would be more clear if you use white lines in between the paragraphs. I'd like a clearer structure of introduction, main body and conclusion.

    *You say kids say the media is their main source of information about sex after school sex education. Isn't that a very normal situation? I'm surprised school sex ed even ranks in there... when I got it in school we all knew the stuff already from the media. What source SHOULD be second, if its not the media? the parents?

    *Becoming more dangerous is better English than getting more dangerous, it seems.

    *"Television, computers, and video games are assuming the brunt of these accusations as well as music and magazines. "
    How about
    "Televistion, computers and videogames, as well as music and magazines, are receiving the brunt of the accusations"

    *Judgment ---> judgement (basically just run a spell check like word or something. fairly easy. )

    *The evidence of numerous studies suggest... -> Numerous studies suggest...

    *The powerful influence of the media does not cause children to mimic the behaviour they see, it just gives them a crappier behaviour to mimic.

    *"Other side effects relating to violent behavior can be but are not limited to hitting or pushing other children as well as verbal aggression. "
    Not a great sentence. the part as well as does not really fit.

    *"This behavior often leads to more aggressive and or violent behaviors perhaps even criminal."
    how about
    "This behaviour often leads to more agressive and/or violent behaviour, or perhaps even crime."

    *"The rise in violent crimes committed by children can not be denied. One can hardly read a newspaper or watch the news without hearing about the latest murder of one child by another or rape."
    I dont know what the juvenile crime rate is actually doing, but media coverage is certainly very poor evidence for an increase in juvenile crime.
    this makes it sound like it is obvious evidence.

    *"Furthermore, the American media continues to gain a reputation for being the most sexually suggestive in the Western Hemisphere."
    Really? I take it you have never seen Italian cable tv. They dont even pretend anymore that there is a reason there are 20 hot barely dressed ladies on stage, they just stand there and the show sometimes doesn't even deal with them. They also have softcore porn soap operas, which is quite possibly the lamest form of television so far.

    As you see I have mostly superficial, grammatical and spelling comments. I quite like your argument, the core of the essay IMO is

    "Thus chubby kids become fat adults which create the market for all those “lose weight quick” schemes that plague our society. The same media that targets children and promotes childhood obesity then turns around and advertises that in order to be happy you must be thin. So the chubby kids who became fat adults become trapped in a cycle of self loathing. Some fat adults will take the Zoloft option others the “lose weight quick” cycle; either way the media wins and sells its products. "

    I think this an accurate, comprehensive, critical view on the situation and its good. I believe this extract should get a more dominant position in the essay, perhaps be explained in more depth.
    However the "media" does not win, the media is the key tool. The player thats winning is the corporations pushing the products, holding their profit a higher priority than the wellbeing of the population(whether they have the right to or not is irrelevant for these facts).
    Noam Chomsky would say that advertising is not made in this way despite its effect on people, but partly because of it, to deliberately reduce people to unpolitical superficial consumers with a short attention span. I'm sure you can better assess how radical you can get with your teachers than I can.
    Last edited by Reinier; 04-25-2004 at 08:24 AM.

  24. #23
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinier
    Hm. There are some things I can think of:

    *Where is the title?

    *Your first sentence is a bit strange. It sums up supposed effects of this breakdown but then puts in sexy commercials, which is more like a possible cause.

    *"Where does the blame lie" - should this not say, who is to blame, or what is the cause?

    *Your essay would be more clear if you use white lines in between the paragraphs. I'd like a clearer structure of introduction, main body and conclusion.

    *You say kids say the media is their main source of information about sex after school sex education. Isn't that a very normal situation? I'm surprised school sex ed even ranks in there... when I got it in school we all knew the stuff already from the media. What source SHOULD be second, if its not the media? the parents?

    *Becoming more dangerous is better English than getting more dangerous, it seems.

    *"Television, computers, and video games are assuming the brunt of these accusations as well as music and magazines. "
    How about
    "Televistion, computers and videogames, as well as music and magazines, are receiving the brunt of the accusations"

    *Judgment ---> judgement (basically just run a spell check like word or something. fairly easy. )

    *The evidence of numerous studies suggest... -> Numerous studies suggest...

    *The powerful influence of the media does not cause children to mimic the behaviour they see, it just gives them a crappier behaviour to mimic.

    *"Other side effects relating to violent behavior can be but are not limited to hitting or pushing other children as well as verbal aggression. "
    Not a great sentence. the part as well as does not really fit.

    *"This behavior often leads to more aggressive and or violent behaviors perhaps even criminal."
    how about
    "This behaviour often leads to more agressive and/or violent behaviour, or perhaps even crime."

    *"The rise in violent crimes committed by children can not be denied. One can hardly read a newspaper or watch the news without hearing about the latest murder of one child by another or rape."
    I dont know what the juvenile crime rate is actually doing, but media coverage is certainly very poor evidence for an increase in juvenile crime.
    this makes it sound like it is obvious evidence.

    *"Furthermore, the American media continues to gain a reputation for being the most sexually suggestive in the Western Hemisphere."
    Really? I take it you have never seen Italian cable tv. They dont even pretend anymore that there is a reason there are 20 hot barely dressed ladies on stage, they just stand there and the show sometimes doesn't even deal with them. They also have softcore porn soap operas, which is quite possibly the lamest form of television so far.

    As you see I have mostly superficial, grammatical and spelling comments. I quite like your argument, the core of the essay IMO is

    "Thus chubby kids become fat adults which create the market for all those “lose weight quick” schemes that plague our society. The same media that targets children and promotes childhood obesity then turns around and advertises that in order to be happy you must be thin. So the chubby kids who became fat adults become trapped in a cycle of self loathing. Some fat adults will take the Zoloft option others the “lose weight quick” cycle; either way the media wins and sells its products. "

    I think this an accurate, comprehensive, critical view on the situation and its good. I believe this extract should get a more dominant position in the essay, perhaps be explained in more depth.
    However the "media" does not win, the media is the key tool. The player thats winning is the corporations pushing the products, holding their profit a higher priority than the wellbeing of the population(whether they have the right to or not is irrelevant for these facts).
    Noam Chomsky would say that advertising is not made in this way despite its effect on people, but partly because of it, to deliberately reduce people to unpolitical superficial consumers with a short attention span. I'm sure you can better assess how radical you can get with your teachers than I can.
    Here is the Title Page and it was done on word so maybe it looks better this way
    Attached Files Attached Files

  25. #24
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    No opinions yet?

  26. #25
    Banned Reinier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    south west Holland Europe
    Posts
    8,842
    Yeah thats better. but the essay itself is a bit thin and long there, no?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •