The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Navy Seal workout?

I have been lifting seriously for about 4 months. I am 17 160 lbs 12% bf. I used to be 210lbs 30% fat. When I first started working out all i did was bodyweight excersises like pushups/situps and running. I am considering getting into martial arts, I am also in soccer. I plan to go into the military after high school(1 year away). I was just wondering if i followed something like this navy seal workout how would it affect my body? What I mean is would I gain any muscle/size? or would I just get really skinny. I really want to try this but I am afraid I will lose the gains I have made in weight lifting. Just looking for some advice....... thanks in advance

First 9 Weeks:

Week 1

Running: 2 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pushups: 4 sets of 15 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Situps: 4 sets of 20 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 3 sets of 3 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 15 min. 4-5 days/week
    Week 2

Running: 2 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pushups: 5 sets of 20 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Situps: 5 sets of 20 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 3 sets of 3 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 15 min. 4-5 days/week
    Week 3

Running: No running
    Pushups: 5 sets of 25 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Situps: 5 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 3 sets of 4 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 20 min. 4-5 days/week
    Week 4

Running: 3 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pushups: 5 sets of 25 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Situps: 5 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 3 sets of 4 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 20 min. 4-5 days/week
    Weeks 5-6

Running: 2 / 3 / 4 / 2 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr
    Pushups: 6 sets of 25 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Situps: 6 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 2 sets of 8 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 25 min. 4-5 days/week
    Weeks 7-8

Running: 4 / 4 / 5 / 3 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr
    Pushups: 6 sets of 30 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Situps: 6 sets of 30 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 2 sets of 10 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 30 min. 4-5 days/week
    Week 9

Running: 4 / 4 / 5 / 3 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr
    Situps: 6 sets of 30 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 3 sets of 10 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 35 min. 4-5 days/week
    Second 9 weeks:
    Week 1 & 2

Running: 3 / 5 / 4 / 5 / 2 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa
    Situps: 6 sets of 35 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 3 sets of 10 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Dips: 3 sets of 20 dips, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 35 min. 4-5 days/week
    Weeks 3-4

Running: 4 / 5 / 6 / 4 / 3 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa
    Pushups: 10 sets of 20 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Situps: 10 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 4 sets of 10 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Dips: 10 sets of 15 dips, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 45 min. 4-5 days/week
    Week 5

Running: 5 / 5 / 6 / 4 / 4 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa
    Pushups: 15 sets of 20 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Situps: 15 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 4 sets of 12 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Dips: 15 sets of 15 dips, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 60 min. 4-5 days/week
    Week 6 and beyond

Running: 5 / 6 / 6 / 6 / 4 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa
    Pushups: 20 sets of 20 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Situps: 20 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Pullups: 5 sets of 12 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Dips: 20 sets of 15 dips, Mon/Wed/Fri
    Swimming: Swim continuously for 75 min. 4-5 days/week

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you haven't been doing anything, you might gain a little muscle. Why not just lift weights?

Wannabebig Member
    Well I was also hoping this would help my cutting efforts, also I thought this might be better for practical/functional strength. Didnt bruce lee mostly do body weight exercises? I know he lifted weight but I thought he was a big advocate of functional strength and he had one of the most amazing physiques ever. I guess I could do the navy workout and mabey throw in all the compound excersises 3 days a week.

heres a list of all the big compund excersises I can think of if I miss any please throw them in.

Do these any 3 nonconsecutive days of the week plus the navy seal workout

Bench press 3X6
    deadlift 3x6
    squat 3x6
    military press 3x6
    SLDL 3x6
    power cleans(mabey?) 3x6

well what do you guys think

It would get you in pretty good shape and may add a little muscles to your frame. If anything, it sure will help you out when you do get in the military.

Bruce Lee did a significant amount of weight lifting, although he couldn't squat very much weight due to his back injury. He basically only did compounds, and did the same workout about 3 times a week:
    Exercise Sets Repetitions
    Clean & Press 2/8
    Squats 2/12
    Pullovers 2/8
    Bench Presses 2/6
    Good Mornings 2/8
    Barbell Curls 2/8

This is of course, in addition to his insane kicking and ab workouts.

That Navy Seal workout is good for burning lots of calories, and fairly bad for building muscle.

If your goal is to lose weight and get in shape for the military, then I think a workout like that is great. You will not really gain any muscle from it, but you will get into tremendous cardiovascular shape.
    Last edited by chris mason; 03-31-2004 at 05:14 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

If you are going into the military you might as well train for it.

Wannabebig Member
    I Dont really want to get "big". I know its not something that happens on accident and I know if I keep lifting I wont suddenly get giant muscles I am in no way saying its easy to get big Its just not one of my goals (had to put that in b/c I know it irks some of the veterans on this board when new people think they may accidently overnight get giant muscles) I am just worried if i follow this I may lose what muscle I have and end up looking like one of those cardio-queen richard simons look alikes.....lol I know thats a little overexagerated. With this workout can I expect to lose fat fairly rapidly and maintain muscle? Navy seals really train like this so it should make me strong? I was also hoping that I would look somewhat "buff" I know that sounds stupid but hey bodybuilding is all about the look and drawing the attention of girls on the beach never hurt any guy right? I guess what I'm asking is If I follow this workout It should make me fairly strong, get me in great cardio shape, get me cut and not leave me looking like a stick right? I was hoping to cut to mabey 7%-9% but I really didnt want to drop bleow 145lbs..... I am 160 now like I said before.....is this realistic? thanks in advance.

Footballer
    That seal workout is intense if you can stick to that for all the weeks, you'll look super ripped by the end of it.

Get Big!!!
    What branch of the military are you going to join?

seal workout will increase your strength incredibly.. my friend actually did it and followed it and he gained mass, got super cut, and when he did lift weights after it, he found that his lifts had all increased tremendously (he didnt do any weight lifting while he did the seal workout)

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the replies. I plan on going either marines or army. The results your friend got sound exactley like what I want. So if anyone has anymore advice I'm gonna keep checking back here. I think I am going to start a journal also so I can track my progress and keep motivated.

Thanks again everyone

I've toyed with doing the Seal workout. I have A LOT of fat to loose. I, like yourself, don't want to get huge, but I DO want to get big. I think I'll do the seal workout, some day, just to get ripped and to get my endurance up. Like someone said.... functional strengh.

However... I couldn't run for 2 miles right now to save my life, much less run 2 miles at an 8:30 pace! So, here's what I was thinking... I'll continue my heavy lifting routine with cardio on t, th, sat. My cardio, I'll do running to try to get myself to that 2 mile 8:30 pace. Once I've achieved that goal, I'll switch gears for 6+ weeks and do the seal thing. Get totally ripped, then go back to heavy lifting. I figure if I alternate between them, I can stay big and have good functional strength/endurance at the same time.

Thoughts?

-Tom

Of the driver ilk
    Just FYI, but compared to the smoke sessions one can recieve during basic training in the Army (in a combat MOS) that intensity is low. If you are training for the military, you should do what they do for exercises. Go down to the recruiting station, or to the local national guard armory and ask some people about the exercises done in the military. Its not all push-ups and sit-ups. The Marine Corps does have pul-ups as one of their PT test events, so that is something to be mindful of.
    "42"

when my friends signed up for the marines... he didnt actually leave for a few months and there was a group of new recruits he trained with at least once a week to get in shape for bootcamp... if i were u id look into that

I tried this but skipped the running because i am sort of slim. But i noticed an increase in strength mostly because an increase in endurance. I doubt that by week 3,you can do 3 sets of 20 dips and 3 sets-15 reps pulls-ups. If you can, shame on me.

Anyway what does 8:30 pace mean?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    If your goal is to lose weight and get in shape for the military, then I think a workout like that is great. You will not really gain any muscle from it, but you will get into tremendous cardiovascular shape.
    yeah you'll be in great shape maybe pretty strong possibly look better and eat all you want but your not going to get any real size until later
    you could do a scaled down version of this training and prob add some muscle and strength at the same time. I do the military thing and lost mostly just fat in basic training did chinups when i got the chance. good look now drop and give me 20 push ups lol they'll be waiting for u

Quote Originally Posted by PYRO
    Anyway what does 8:30 pace mean?
    I think it means one mile in 8 minutes 30 seconds. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So that means, 2 miles should take you 17 minutes to complete.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by devhuman
    I think it means one mile in 8 minutes 30 seconds. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So that means, 2 miles should take you 17 minutes to complete.

-Tom
    That's what it means. They don't expect ppl to run 2 4:15 miles back to back. As a body building workout, I'd say stay away from it. For endurance and military training it looks solid.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Of the driver ilk
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    That's what it means. They don't expect ppl to run 2 4:15 miles back to back. As a body building workout, I'd say stay away from it. For endurance and military training it looks solid.
    Your right, they expect 5:10 miles back to back instead. Running is a very important thing to be able to do very quickly in the military, because it is one of the most failed events.
    "42"

holy crap did that say 20 sets of 20 pushups?

omg.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Wannabebig Member
    any gains in muscle you get you will lose a bunch/most in marine bootcamp. They control your diet and excercise (mostly cardio). Also if you actually finish that navy seal workout before going to bootcamp. bootcamp "physically" will be a very easy for you i promise. FYI The marine PFT physical fitness test you should shoot for 18:00 min 3 mile run -- 20 pullups (no kip/kicking) -- 100 crunches (arms crossing chest and up till arms touch your legs) that will get you a 300 PFT score and get you promoted faster.
    Last edited by wrxsti; 04-04-2004 at 10:48 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    do they really mean this?

Swimming: Swim continuously for 75 min. 4-5 days/week

so 4 to 5 days a week you have to swim continuously, on top of the other stuff where would one find the time?....
    Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Xg74
    Your right, they expect 5:10 miles back to back instead. Running is a very important thing to be able to do very quickly in the military, because it is one of the most failed events.
    I have 3 close friends in the marines, you do not have to run 2 5:10 miles back to back.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Somebody said something about maxing the Marine Corps PFT(notice the spelling guys). To obtain a perfect score of 300, you must run 3 miles in a time of 18:00 or less, you must do 20 pullups, no swinging, arms back to full extension before attempting the next one, and you must do 100 or more continous PUSHUPS not crunches in two minutes. If ya think 100 sounds easy, try it lol, I assure you it's not.