Thread: Is it ok to eat just the egg whites and throw out the yolk?

On the road to perfection Sh!mA's Avatar

Is it ok to eat just the egg whites and throw out the yolk?

I CANT STAND YOLK! I heard it contained half of the protein though... opinions?
    Sh!mA owns you

"If you have quotes in your signature, you're stupid"- me

"It's great you're starting at a young age. You'll be a beast before you're twenty. Lift big. Eat big. Good luck"- TheGimp

"Get huge dude!"-rookieblder

Sh!mA's Journal

Wrong forum

If you don't like the yolk don't eat it, but there's nothing wrong with it. some folks here buy cartons of egg whites, so if you don't like the yolks you could get those instead of eggs
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

gonaherpasyphilaids
    with ya on this one, i throw em out then i boil eggs, but eat em when i scramble them, all i know is were getting less cholesterol

yea u can buy egg beaters half a cup is like 2 eggs thats like 12Protein without yolk cuase when u dump the yolk u are throwing away like 55% of the protein in the egg
    Bench 235 6 reps squats 415 8 reps barbell curls 120 rep 6 shoulder press 150lb 6
    shoulder press barbell 150 rep 6
    CUTTING stage 1 week
    before BW: 187 current BW:184
    before BF:20 current:20

MY PICS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../angelito2.jpg

Wannabebig Member
    wats wrong with yolk? yolks make the egg.... it'd be like seeing michael jordan with hair, marilyn manson kissing a baby or michael douglas and catherine zeta jones kissing.... just NOT RIGHT....

nah jp... but yah i love the yolk....

If you don't like the yolk, don't eat it, and eat more whites.

Just remember, most of us eat things we don't really like because we "Wanna Be BIG"

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Most of the protein is in the eggwhite, so it's no problem at all to throw out the yoke. Infact, it's better for you because the yoke has major cholesterol.

Get Big!!!
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that an egg white for a large egg only contained three grams of protein. That is not a lot.

i think ur right on that one becuase the yolk contains most of the amino acids for the egg
    Bench 235 6 reps squats 415 8 reps barbell curls 120 rep 6 shoulder press 150lb 6
    shoulder press barbell 150 rep 6
    CUTTING stage 1 week
    before BW: 187 current BW:184
    before BF:20 current:20

MY PICS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../angelito2.jpg

I don't beleive that is true.
    The egg albumen (white) is what is actually used to make some amino acid pills you buy off the shelf at GNC (or wherever). Look at the bottles when you are in there because I'm almost postitive that I've seen this.

Perhaps the yoke has a lot too. That much I am not very sure about.

I normally split it up. If I am eating 6 eggs, I will mix two whole eggs in with 4 whites.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Quote Originally Posted by zen
    I don't beleive that is true.
    The egg albumen (white) is what is actually used to make some amino acid pills you buy off the shelf at GNC (or wherever). Look at the bottles when you are in there because I'm almost postitive that I've seen this.

Perhaps the yoke has a lot too. That much I am not very sure about.
    A simple search will turn up you are wrong. Don't just "believe" something... The yolk and white have roughly the same amount of protien in them (the yolk winning out by a hair).
    w00t

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh!mA
    I CANT STAND YOLK! I heard it contained half of the protein though... opinions?
    No, it is not ok. It is a mortal sin not to eat yolk. I'd rather get fatter than not eat the yolk...

/sarcasm off

Depends on your goals. If you don't want the fat, don't eat it. If you want more protein and hate the yolk, get some egg beaters or double up with more egg whites.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by EdgarMex
    Wrong forum
    Um, how is this question in the wrong forum, lol?
    "Color outside the lines"

Wannabebig Member
    Although yolk has lots of protein in it, it also has a massive amount of cholesterol. Its your choice whichever way you look at it.

I used to eat all my eggs with my yolk (when I boiled them). The yolk is nasty, so I ate the yolk with the addition of herbs, spices, and bread. But I dont eat all my yolks anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebu
    Um, how is this question in the wrong forum, lol?
    It was originally posted in the bodybuilding/fitness forum
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

The Bull
    I wait till they hatch and then eat them, more protien less fat..
    I am 5' 10" 200lbs
    4-12-04 MAX
    Chest 42 1/4" Bench-215lbs
    Waist 34" Squats- 250lbs
    Bicept 15 1/4" Curls- 95lb db
    Forearm 12 1/4" Dead lift- 285lbs
    legs 22"
    Calf 15"
    Neck 16 1/2"

He conforts us every time we have trouble, so when others have trouble, we can confort them. 2 Corinthians 1:4

i used to not be able to eat eggs at all, until I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs.

Was amazing, all I could taste was the ketchup, so now I eat 4+ a day
    Name: Addison , Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 173 lbs, Location: Toronto
    Bodyfat: 8.4%, Age: 18

Bench: 205lb x 2
    Squat: 275lb x 4
    Deadlift: 305lb x 1
    Chins: 20 pronated, 5 w/ 50lb db

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

An article was written on wannabebig.com talking about this exact topic. Here you go guys, read this: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=55

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I wait till they hatch and then eat them, more protien less fat..
    In a perfect world! I could see a bodybuilder with a hatchery in his closet. Sounds reasonable, doesnt it? Takes a lot of capital to start something like that though, and you'd have to buy feed for the ****ers, too. Hm.

The eggs don't peck at you though.

I split it up. I don't eat a lot of eggs because I hate cleaning pans and I'm afraid of boiling water. When I do cook eggs, I usually do half and half whole eggs and whites in order to avoid the fat, but the nutrition of the yolks is important, too. If you're on a very fat-restricted diet, egg whites are a great way to get protein but remember that each egg white has some 80mg sodium, and that adds up quite quickly. Eggs also often produce very raunchy gas, so if you're going to be farting all day, you might as well do it with as many calories as possible.

Cholesterol is also very important to your diet, and if you watch what you eat, you can probably afford the cholesterol in a few egg yolks a day. If all you eat is chicken breasts, lean beef, whole wheat bread, yogurt, Low fat Milk, and other clean food sources, go ahead and eat the yolks. If you're a fatass shutin who lives off of Hot Pockets and delivered pizza, you should probably stay away from egg yolks.

Though eggs are cheap, I still dont like wasting food, so I feel guilty throwing away perfectly good, very nutritious calories in the form of egg yolks.

so in conclusion, eat clean and eat the damn yolks.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Bingo.