The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What are the drawbacks of working a muscle out, once a week?

Just wondering, because that is how i train, each muscle, once a week......doesnt seem to be a problem, but maybe im just not seeing it.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't workout nearly as frequently as most of the "serious" lifters and I've been making steady (but not big-league) gains as long as I've been lifting.

Everyone is different. I think my recouperation period is probably longer then average, and I fear overtraining if I lift too frequently. Then again, I am also blessed with strength that does not diminish fast either. I took 2 months off from benching because of a minor injury and came back with very minimal strength loss. But I digress.

My routine is actually 6 days between repeat movements.
    Example:
    Monday - Push Movements and Triceps
    Wednesday - Pull Movments and Biceps
    Friday - Legs
    Sunday - repeat

and again I say, I see increases over time quite consistently
    Last edited by zen; 03-31-2004 at 09:04 PM.

Yeah im the same way, everyone says to workout each muscle twice a week, but im not having a problem NOT doing that.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

All depends on your recovery time. I put together a routine where I hit the gym 3 days a week. First week, sun: push, tues: pull, thurs: push. Following week, sun: pull, tues, push, thurs: pull. Shoulders on push day and legs on pull day. Gonna check the strength gains.. if its minimal, i'm gonna switch back to one muscle group a week

I wannabebig!
    For myself

Monday : Chest/Abs
    Wed : Shoulders/Back
    Friday : Arms
    Saturday : Legs

Maybe a man?
    The drawback might be that if your muscles are recovered after say 48-72 hours, then you could work them again in the same week instead of just having them sit there wondering wtf. of course, this depends on the individuals recovery time, and obviously different muscle groups have varying recovery times.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    The drawback is that your muscles are done with protein synthesis after 48 hours and after that you are NOT growing for 5 whole days.

The advantage is that you agree with pretty much everyone at WWB and thus might become quite popular here. I can't remember anything else.

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    My Current Routine:

Sun: Back/Biceps
    Mon: Cardio
    Tues: Chest/Triceps
    Wed: Cardio
    Thurs: Legs/Shoulders
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Rest

I have been doing 3 to 4 day splits like this hitting each part once a week and making great gains for over a year. I think it just depends. I would like to try a twice a week format one day, but it will require a lot of time I don't have right now.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by restless
    The drawback is that your muscles are done with protein synthesis after 48 hours and after that you are NOT growing for 5 whole days.

The advantage is that you agree with pretty much everyone at WWB and thus might become quite popular here. I can't remember anything else.

Lol. Funny. I like twice a week. Targeting each group twice a week with mostly compounds is the only way I really have much success.

I am doing everything three times a week, so everything gets 48hours exactly between workouts, and then i give myself sundays off. This is a little excessive but i need to relieve stress, the theory i believe is that my muscles are hypothectically undergoing protein synthesis for like 6 days a week opposed to two.
    200lbs @ 10%
    340/400/450

Dude... wow... i'm drunk. Flabbagasted at your choice of decision. Should i call you in 30 min when we are en route, come, oaks are for fun.

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with always loosing-i do 3 x per week-HST baby workw

The problem with 3x per week, and sometimes even 2x per week, is more related to how heavy you are lifting. Even if your muscles have recovered your CNS may not be.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    The problem with 3x per week, and sometimes even 2x per week, is more related to how heavy you are lifting. Even if your muscles have recovered your CNS may not be.
    This might be true if you triple your volume, but provided you keep the same overall volume it makes no difference. It's still the same CNS that is getting trashed when you lift legs after chest or whatever.