Thread: Possible new training split for me inside

Possible new training split for me inside

Possible routine to follow… anyone find flaws or have some pointers/ideas? I am presently what you would say a “wanna-be-bodybuilder” lol, but I’m looking to get into more strength training rather than hypertrophy based training. I still would like to keep a relatively pleasing physique… but strength gains would be nice.

I’m thinking of a two week rotation mostly, one week “singles” and one week “reps”. Three days a week, one focus on chest, one for back, and one for legs.

Week1:
    Day1: Chest
    DB or BB flat bench… start out doing warm up sets, and then sets of singles up to about 85-90% 1RM.
    A set or two of Incline DB or BB bench….. failure around 5-7 reps.
    A set or two of Decline BB bench… failure around 5-7 reps.
    Couple sets of seated DB military presses…. Or maybe some standing bb overhead presses.
    Possible some rear delt work for a set or two failure 6-8.
    A set or two of dips or skulls failure 6-8.

Day2: Legs
    Normal squats or front squats… start out doing warm up sets then sets of singles up to about 85-90% 1RM.
    Throw in a couple sets of heavy leg press around failure around 8-10 reps.
    Throw in a couple sets of RDL for hamstrings directly failure around 8-10 reps.
    Maybe a couple sets of seated ham curls or lunges failure around 8-10 reps.
    Calf work…. standing or seated raises failure around 10-20 reps.

Day3: Back
    Deadlifts from the floor… start out doing warm up sets, and then sets of singles up to about 85-90% 1RM.
    A couple of sets of BB rows… Yates style…. failure around 5-7 reps.
    Maybe a couple sets of Hammer Strength rows or something… failure around 5-7 reps.
    Probably 3-4 sets of Bicep work... curls etc failure around 6-8 reps.
    A couple shrug sets… BB or DB’s… failure around 10-12 reps.

Week2:
    Day1: Chest
    DB or BB flat bench… start out doing warm up sets, and then sets of 3-5 up to about 75% 1RM.
    A set or two of Incline DB or BB bench….. failure around 5-7 reps.
    A set or two of Decline BB bench… failure around 5-7 reps.
    Couple sets of seated DB military presses…. Or maybe some standing bb overhead presses.
    Possible some rear delt work for a set or two failure 6-8.
    A set or two of dips or skulls failure 6-8.

Day2: Legs
    Normal squats or front squats… start out doing warm up sets then sets of 3-5 up to about 75% 1RM.
    Throw in a couple sets of heavy leg press around failure around 8-10 reps.
    Throw in a couple sets of RDL for hamstrings directly failure around 8-10 reps.
    Maybe a couple sets of seated ham curls or lunges failure around 8-10 reps.
    Calf work…. standing or seated raises failure around 10-20 reps.

Day3: Back
    Deadlifts from the floor… start out doing warm up sets, and then sets of 3-5 up to about 75% 1RM.
    A couple of sets of BB rows… Yates style…. failure around 5-7 reps.
    Maybe a couple sets of Hammer Strength rows or something… failure around 5-7 reps.
    Probably 3-4 sets of Bicep work... curls etc failure around 6-8 reps.
    A couple shrug sets… BB or DB’s… failure around 10-12 reps.

I figure once every 5-7 weeks, I’ll work up to a 1RM for the big 3 exercises.

I’d appreciate any feedback you guys can give etc.
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Anyone??????

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Do you really grow best only working a muscle group once a week? I don't think alternating each week will be that beneficial. You'll see the best results out of cycling it and probably gradually moving things around over about 4 week time span.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Actually... I only train a muscle group once a week now... and I'm growing. Are you suggesting I train it once every 4?? Will, can you try to explain what your reasoning is?

You've been lifting long enough that if you are going for something more related to strength then training something westside-ish could be to your advantage. Its not to say that you won't see gains any other way but training specifically for the lift with ME and DE days does help to aid the CNS.

From what I've read, a mesocycle for hypertrophy should be a bit longer than just one week every other week. Its true you can still get some growth and some related strength from just that but at your size (ya lucky bastard ) you could do with just training for strength for 6-8 weeks. Which would mean, probably doing something more like westside in that you have ME and DE days and focus on those lifts, essentially like you are wanting to just spaced out differently.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.