The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Sumo Deadlifts

Sumo Deadlifts

I assume sumo deadlifts are just wide stance deadlifts with the grip in between the legs. Is that correct?

If so, I'm considering doing these instead of conventional deadlifts. I just started doing deadlifts two weeks ago, and I'm having trouble with the bar hitting my knees on the way down. Does anyone have any tips to prevent this or should I try sumos?

The reason I think a wide stance might be more comfortable is because I'm tall (6 feet) and squat with a wide stance.

Thoughts?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Go for it. I prefer sumo's to conventional for that reason.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I agree. I'm a sumo person. It allowed me to get more drive in the motion. It also helped me stay straighter during the pull. It is really a personal decision, but I prefer the sumo.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Ok, cool I guess I'll try them out.

This question applies to both squats and DLs:

Is using a wide stance ever considered cheating? Is it considered easier? Or is it just another way of doing both of the excersizes?

Thats what I want to know, about wide stance squats and dl's are they considered cheating?

they all count at a meet. wide stance just means you dont have to go as far up/down. its no more cheating than using a bench shirt or squat suit in place of a lifting singlet and t-shirt.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Hmm...
    well I don't plan on competing in powerlifting, but I just don't want to be cheating myself, you know? But I guess shorter people have it easier in the first place. I'm just evening the odds.

You won't be cheating yourself, just different muscles will be stressed. Conventional you use your erectors, lower back and quads more. With sumos, you stress inner thighs, hams, and glutes more.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    You won't be cheating yourself, just different muscles will be stressed. Conventional you use your erectors, lower back and quads more. With sumos, you stress inner thighs, hams, and glutes more.
    WOuld it be better to do a set of conventionals and sumo's to get all the muscles hit?
    Last edited by Sug; 04-06-2004 at 12:04 AM.

You could, but if you lift heavy enough with deads, you'd probably be to tired to do too many sets. Also, you weakest link in deads is the lower back. The possiblilty of hurting yourself due to bad form increases as you do more sets and reps (exhaustion). I guess you could switch it from workout to workout. That would be safer and cover all the bases.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Wannabebig Member
    Sumos are a great accessory exercise to help with your squat too. The hip/glute involvement is great.