Thread: muscle memory, is it valid? have you experienced it?

I wannabebig!

muscle memory, is it valid? have you experienced it?

like the title says.

MACHINE
    yes, and yes
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

I wannabebig!
    reason I ask is, at the amount of calories I consume, I doubt I am puting on as much weight as the scale is saying from week to week especially with my daily activity level as well as the amount of cardio I include in my routine. What could possibly be behind this... hrmmm

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    yes and

you wont see the weight gain directly in the mirror. trust the scale and use pictures to gauge your progress. tapings/measuring helps too.

gym time is an enjoyable hobby, but you might as well benefit from time spent in the gym or end up as one of those three sets of eight with the same weight month after month never getting big wannabees that every gym has.......
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Yes. I'm still quite good at soccer, even when I play it after taking months or years off. And that is more complicated than simple muscle memory, which obviously holds true for most activities.

Muscle memory is for real. I was out of the gym for 6 months and when i came back all of my gains returned quickly.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

yes and yes

3:16
    i noticed it when i broke my leg.
    my calf shrunk to half it size. took a few weeks to after coming out of plaster before it was roughly back to normal. this wa sbefore i did hard weigth training though.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I'm banking on muscle memory.
    I'm at 220lbs and I'm going on a diet.
    I want to get down to 190 and I want to do it fast.

I figure since it's easier to make size and strength gains with a positive caloric intake, I am going to cut my weight fast and hard, and then I see and major strength loses, try to reaquire my strength after I reach 190.

Quote Originally Posted by zen
    I'm banking on muscle memory.
    I'm at 220lbs and I'm going on a diet.
    I want to get down to 190 and I want to do it fast.

I figure since it's easier to make size and strength gains with a positive caloric intake, I am going to cut my weight fast and hard, and then I see and major strength loses, try to reaquire my strength after I reach 190.
    i dont think it quite works like that.. you're actually burning muscle when you do that.. so its there to remember how big it/strong it was in the first place..

muscle memory is when you take alot of time out off from the gym...then you come back and in 6 weeks you're 90% of what u were before and gaining quickly...

cut slow...dont burn muscle.. you'll look better in the end..trust me..not to mention you'll be VERY depressed at the loss in size/strength.. i did it last february.. lost 30 pounds in 1 1/2 months... i dropped about 40lbs off my bench..i was horrified.. and not to mention.. your metabolism slows down.. so even though the weight comes off on the scale ur burning muscle and not fat so u'll still be a higher bodyfat than if you did it correctly...

just tryin to help...

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Yes. I'm still quite good at soccer, even when I play it after taking months or years off. And that is more complicated than simple muscle memory, which obviously holds true for most activities.
    im still good at skateboarding and hackey sack... hmm...lol...
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Not so long ago, I was very sick with food poisoning for 2 weeks and lost 6lb. Since that time I have put on 10lb of mostly lean mass in the space of just over 1 month. I would put this down to muscle memory.

Yeah, basically, it's nice to know that what gains you make will not be as hard to get back to if you ever lose it.

I broke my foot over a year ago and I was so nervous during my 2 months off that I would be losing soo much ground, but amazed how I seemed to jump right back into things almost as if I never left as far as strength is concerned. I did notice extra day-after stiffness and soreness though.

Your body seems to have a lot more trouble pioneering new ground in strength (and size) territory. But once you've been there, you are allowed to go back anytime. LOL
    Last edited by zen; 04-17-2004 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zen
    Your body seems to have a lot more trouble pioneering new ground in strength (and size) territory. But once you've been there, you are allowed to go back anytime. LOL
    if you're planning on dropping weight fast and burning muscle like it sounds like you're planning to do... the strength and size will NOT come back easy because of the muscle burned off...

as i said.. in february-mid march last year i dropped 30 lbs...

i didnt get my strength back up to what it was before that until mid october..i really wasnt worried about size because i am more cut now.. but....

just my $0.02 ..i hope that helps you think up a more clear strategy to drop bodyfat...
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I don't have the science to back it up, but I've seen it first hand.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310