Thread: Slight elbow pain, which exercise is causing it?

Slight elbow pain, which exercise is causing it?

I have a slight pain in my left elbow when I work out. It has happened 2 days now so I want to identify the problem and fix it. I've narrowed the cause of the pain down to one of two exercises,
    close grip bench and pullups.

Which one is more likely to cause elbow pain? Could it be cause my grip on the close grip's is too narrow?

Edit - BTW the pain is very very slight, but still a pain that isn't a muscular one hehe.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 09-30-2003 at 11:04 AM.

Where on the elbow is it?

Just guessing, but here goes:

Does it hurt to grip something tightly? If so, the pullups may be the problem.

Try doing skull crushers. If it hurts then, then it's probably the close-grip bench presses. Usually it hurts people's wrists though.

I used to do skullcrushers and never had elbow pain because of them so it's not that.

And yup it hurts to grip something tightly so it's prolly the pullups. It was also acting up during deadlifts today but the pullups must be the cause of the pain because they are new to my routine and I've never had elbow pain before. As a matter of fact, both my elbows hurt slightly. It's a very very slight pain, is there anything I could do to keep it from getting worse?

When doing the deads do you have your arms locked out or do you have them loose, then yank up? Also, on the negative of the pullups, do you just drop or do a controlled descent?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Originally posted by Max-Mex
    When doing the deads do you have your arms locked out or do you have them loose, then yank up? Also, on the negative of the pullups, do you just drop or do a controlled descent?
    I have them loose then yank up. It isn't like a huge jerking motion though.

On the negative of pullups I go down all the way till it's my last rep, then I lower myself a little but I don't go down all the way I just let go and straighten my legs out.

I have hurt my elbow by just letting the weight drop to quickly on pulldowns. I have seen people hurt their elbows by jerking up too quickly on deads. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't any of those two things.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I see, I will pay extra attention to those things next time I workout thanks. Good chance I'm doing one of those things without realizing it. I really have a feeling it's the pullups and like you said the deads. A pulling motion seems to be the culprit here cause it's aggravated by pulling it seems. Benching doesn't bother me at all.

For me it depends on the grip. A pronated (palms away) pullup causes me a lot of elbow/upper forearm grief, but a supinated (palms facing) grip doesn't unless I'm using 20 or 25 pounds of weight on my belt. I recently made some changes to my power cage so I can now do pullups with a parallel grip. Hopefully I won't have the elbow problem with weighted pullups at all.

Wannabebig New Member

Chins hurt my elbows

I started doing to many to soon ( 20 sets of 5 ) and got a bad case of medial epicondylitis . The symptoms are very similar to tennis elbow but the pain was on the inside of the elbow vs. the outside.

I found this site that has some good information on tennis elbow and treatments. I would check out this page with http://www.tennis-elbow-treatments.com
    The key is to make sure to rest to help the elbow heal itself.

Heh I remember when I posted this. BTW the cause of the elbow pain was either deadlifts or chins, I was using a "jerking" motion and that was hurting my elbows. The pain went away because I started focusing on using a more controlled motion.