The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the smith machine never fails...im not faceplanting w/ a barbell on my back anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by blkwrx02
    the smith machine never fails...im not faceplanting w/ a barbell on my back anytime soon
    Wrong.

http://forum.avantlabs.com/?act=ST&f=5&t=5038

hammin'
    Hahaha.... so they refused to give it an adjustable stop? Yet power racks have adjustable stops.... so which is safer?

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    damn.... restatement then: the smith machine hasn't failed me yet. but im moving to the power rack anyways.

The smith should keep you safe from catastrophic injury if you use the safety stops, but if you don't you can be smegged like that dude. If you squat with free weights, even if you're not in a cage, you probably won't get crushed because you'll be able to roll the bar off. Yeah, you might get a bunch of bruises and strain a whole bunch of stuff, but you probably won't be crippled!

This is all beside the long term problems that I think could result from squatting in along the fixed path of the smith track, which is the main reason I wouldn't use it.

in the smith machines defense.. it is very good for isolated incline bench and shrugs...

and ive yet to find a better method of single leg squats.. other than single leg press..

but even then.. i hardly ever use the smith..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

single leg squats...i think it's better with dumbells so you can work on your core a bit as well. (balancing yourself)
    Name: Addison , Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 173 lbs, Location: Toronto
    Bodyfat: 8.4%, Age: 18

Bench: 205lb x 2
    Squat: 275lb x 4
    Deadlift: 305lb x 1
    Chins: 20 pronated, 5 w/ 50lb db

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gopher
    NO! You should never use a spotter for squats. Squat in a rack so that the safeties will catch the bar if you fail. What happens if you are unable to complete a rep and your spotter starts trying to spot you and something goes wrong like you lose your balance or a knee gives out? A spotter is only going to throw your balance off and who knows what's going to happen with all that weight. Let the rack do it's job.

i disagree. if you're squatting any serious amount of weight, spotters are certainly needed. When I squatted, I would have 3 spotters: 1 on each side and 1 behind. Dropping 600 lbs on the metal supports of the rack wouldn't exactly make the owners of the gym happy (somebody did it once and the bars were bent horribly and couldn't be taken out of the rack). And if the lifter is squatting, it'll be quite obvious if he will not be able to complete the rep, at which point the spotters (all 3) do their job and help to rack the weight. If you're pussy squatting then there is no need, but I would never squat heavy without spotters.
    Big? Not really. I'm 5'7" 196 lbs.
    Strong? Like a bull!

Bodyfat currently at : dropping
    Personal Records:
    Bench - 440 (raw)
    Squat - 600 (belt & wraps)
    Deads- 585 (belt)

----------------------------------------------
    Itís a birdÖ Itís a planeÖ nope, itís me soariní past everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by supirman
    If you're pussy squatting then there is no need, but I would never squat heavy without spotters.
    whats pussy squatting?
    are you going ATF with 600lbs?

pussy squatting = small amounts of weight which is, of course, relative to each lifter. To me, pussy squatting would be anything below mid 400s. ATF no, that would be stupid. I did quads parallel as was needed for meets.
    Strong? Like a bull!

Personal Records:
    Bench - 440 (raw)
    Deads- 585 (belt)

Quote Originally Posted by supirman
    pussy squatting = small amounts of weight which is, of course, relative to each lifter. To me, pussy squatting would be anything below mid 400s.
    ATF no, that would be stupid.
    I did quads parallel as was needed for meets.
    whats wrong with ATF? besides apparently not being needed for meets

nothing's so much wrong with it, other than it would have served absolutely no purpose for me as I was training for meets. hence why I said it'd be stupid.
    Strong? Like a bull!

Personal Records:
    Bench - 440 (raw)
    Deads- 585 (belt)

Quote Originally Posted by KeMiKaL
    Richview...it's on Islington and Eglinton...probably the school in toronto with the least amount of blacks lol
    Hey, I used to go to Kipling, but would always party at Richview. Had a buncha friends there, as Kipling slowly turned into a ghetto. I woulda transferred there, but stupid High School rules would keep you out of sports for a year if you did, just to make sure kids weren't switching to get into a better program.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

And I agree with Bobby "the back", that if you are going that heavy, 3 spotters is optimal, as is done in meets. Although, there probably still is value in going sub parallel in gym training for powerlifters, but obviously not on max attempts. When you are near max, there is no way in the world you can be focusing on depth or looking in the mirror, you are just trying to get the bitch back up.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

well i did squats yesterday w/ out a spotter and didn't kill myself. just thought i'd share.