Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squats and Spotting

Hybrid View

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar

Squats and Spotting

When doing squats, should you be spotted?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Sure why not. I put on a weight i never knew i could do yesterday, did it just fine but it was nice to know someone was behind me. Also good to have someone critique your form in case it goes bad.

Definitely.

Where in toronto are you?
    Name: Addison , Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 173 lbs, Location: Toronto
    Bodyfat: 8.4%, Age: 18

Bench: 205lb x 2
    Squat: 275lb x 4
    Deadlift: 305lb x 1
    Chins: 20 pronated, 5 w/ 50lb db

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

Thornhill, you?

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

no one i lift with belives in lifting legs. and if they do they wont squat or do deads or sl deads. so it sux cuz i'm left alone on my leg days, meaning no spotter for squats. thus, i do 'em w/ the smith machine.

Get Big!!!
    Use a power rack. If you fail, the weight will land on the pins rather than on you!

I would not trust anyone to spot me without a power rack. If I'm squatting out of a rack for some reason, I will only do what I know I am completely capable of. Spotters are useful for reracking the weight and perhaps a helping with few reps, but they're basically useless without a power rack.

I haven't used a spotter for squats in over a year.

NO! You should never use a spotter for squats. Squat in a rack so that the safeties will catch the bar if you fail. What happens if you are unable to complete a rep and your spotter starts trying to spot you and something goes wrong like you lose your balance or a knee gives out? A spotter is only going to throw your balance off and who knows what's going to happen with all that weight. Let the rack do it's job.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher
    NO! You should never use a spotter for squats. Squat in a rack so that the safeties will catch the bar if you fail. What happens if you are unable to complete a rep and your spotter starts trying to spot you and something goes wrong like you lose your balance or a knee gives out? A spotter is only going to throw your balance off and who knows what's going to happen with all that weight. Let the rack do it's job.

i disagree. if you're squatting any serious amount of weight, spotters are certainly needed. When I squatted, I would have 3 spotters: 1 on each side and 1 behind. Dropping 600 lbs on the metal supports of the rack wouldn't exactly make the owners of the gym happy (somebody did it once and the bars were bent horribly and couldn't be taken out of the rack). And if the lifter is squatting, it'll be quite obvious if he will not be able to complete the rep, at which point the spotters (all 3) do their job and help to rack the weight. If you're pussy squatting then there is no need, but I would never squat heavy without spotters.
    Big? Not really. I'm 5'7" 196 lbs.
    Strong? Like a bull!

Bodyfat currently at : dropping
    Personal Records:
    Bench - 440 (raw)
    Squat - 600 (belt & wraps)
    Deads- 585 (belt)

----------------------------------------------
    Itís a birdÖ Itís a planeÖ nope, itís me soariní past everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by supirman
    If you're pussy squatting then there is no need, but I would never squat heavy without spotters.
    whats pussy squatting?
    are you going ATF with 600lbs?

good call, forget the smith machine, power rack here i come. i just start doing squats last week btw, so im still learnin. i was never a fan of legs, but i don't want a big upper body and chicken legs. so i'm learning to love the damn things.

Chicken legs suck! I congratulate you on fixing that.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

How will a spotter throw off your balance. If anything they will help you regain balance. It's not like if you are failing a lift, you are going to go from in control, to completely bent out of shape in a heartbeat. Usually you fail on squats and your upper body will drift forward. A spotter can help by pulling your upper body back a bit, and if you still can't push up with your legs, they help by thrusting your hips forward a bit, which will help you lock your legs.

If you are that out of control, you are so far beyond a reasonable max attempt, that you deserve the injury you get.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    How will a spotter throw off your balance. If anything they will help you regain balance. It's not like if you are failing a lift, you are going to go from in control, to completely bent out of shape in a heartbeat. Usually you fail on squats and your upper body will drift forward. A spotter can help by pulling your upper body back a bit, and if you still can't push up with your legs, they help by thrusting your hips forward a bit, which will help you lock your legs.

If you are that out of control, you are so far beyond a reasonable max attempt, that you deserve the injury you get.
    Generally, I agree, but most people have no idea how to spot, especially for squats, even after a thorough explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro

My thoughts exactly the ver thing you described happened to me yesterday and my spotter simply pulled me back a little and with a little help i was able to finish the lift , I think if your spotter knows what he is doing you can't beat it. Now E a question I went forward lost my arch and started bending forward if this happens without a spotter whats the safest thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    Now E a question I went forward lost my arch and started bending forward if this happens without a spotter whats the safest thing to do?
    Well, if it were me I'd try to keep my legs as stable as possible, and continue drifting forward until I can set the weight on the pins. Almost like simply doing the negative portion of a good morning. You should be in a rack if you are going to be using weight you may fail on. Worst case scenario, sink back down and throw it off your back. It'll make noise but it won't be as loud as you screaming in agony if you do a face plant with the bar across your back.

I think spotters are critical in squats, but if you don't have one that knows what they're doing it's tough. I think this exercise, most people probably probably have a lot more in them, but are afraid to push it because there's nobody behind them they can trust if they fail. My spotter I could load anything on there and know he'd save my ass, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard. He'd come to the gym just to spot me if i asked him to.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

hammin'
    I've always been curious what the spotter is even supposed to do for squats...

i'm in etobicoke

and the most important spotter would be someone standing behind to make sure you don't fall backwards...can grab you around the waist to help push up if you can't make it.

If you are starting to fall forward...just have to duck down and let the bar go over your head. (I don't have a squat rack at my school gym...we use a makeshift one by raising the bars on the bench all the way up lol)
    Last edited by KeMiKaL; 04-08-2004 at 03:06 PM.

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

I just moved from somali-ville, aka Kipling & Dixon last october.

Which highschool are you going to?

Current FFFA Enforcer

Richview...it's on Islington and Eglinton...probably the school in toronto with the least amount of blacks lol

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KeMiKaL
    Richview...it's on Islington and Eglinton...probably the school in toronto with the least amount of blacks lol
    Then you havent been to Westmount

Quote Originally Posted by Shnoop
    Then you havent been to Westmount
    Westmount's not as bad as Thornlea (my old high school)

Quote Originally Posted by KeMiKaL
    Hey, I used to go to Kipling, but would always party at Richview. Had a buncha friends there, as Kipling slowly turned into a ghetto. I woulda transferred there, but stupid High School rules would keep you out of sports for a year if you did, just to make sure kids weren't switching to get into a better program.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Have them spot you like under your arms, almost in your armpits, by the ribs.
    "Color outside the lines"

Quote Originally Posted by Ebu
    Have them spot you like under your arms, almost in your armpits, by the ribs.

Just make sure that the spotter doesn't hug around your gut and lift up, had someone do that to me and it made me do a quick good am with it cause it made me just bend over
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style