Thread: pain.

Custom User Title:

pain.

i started training early this year and in the first month my right sholder gave in on me, so i didnt train for about a month, i started back about a month ago and i still feel intense pain in my right sholder when i lift anything, does anyone know anything to prevent this.

i also have alot of problems with my wrists aswell from training would seeing a doctor be any help?

I would see a doctor. My nephew started having some pain in his shoulder (rotator cuff) during football practice earlier this year and he just got out of the hospital after having his shoulder rebuilt with parts of tendons from his leg.

The shoulder is not something you want to mess with. Before the surgery, his arm was pretty much limp all the time.

Custom User Title:
    yeah i keep thinking to myself its nothing serious, but i thought id better ask just incase, my mates who i train with think im over reacting so i dont have to push myself so im trying to do as much as i can and its not helping matters.

if i strech off for about 10 mins on my sholder the pain drops considerably (Sp)

thanks for the reply
    Last edited by AB2004; 04-06-2004 at 03:01 PM.

shoulder pain...

The shoulder is a very complex area of the body. In general it is designed to have maximal mobility and so in order to gain such a wide range of movement it sacrifices stability. Instead of a whole bunch of ligaments holding the joint in its socket (say like the knee) the shoulder complex is held in place mainly by muscle. These muscles are called the rotator cuff. The rotator cuff is actually 4 seperate muscles all acting in different direactions to hold the head of the humerus (upper arm bone) in the shoulder joint. We also have a bunch of secondary support muscles (like pecs major and deltoid and others) that help with this stability job of pulling the bone into the wide socket of the shoulder.

A lot of people get shoulder pain and blame it on the rotator cuff becasue they are familiar with the name. Generally a fair rule of thumb is to actually pay attention to the type of pain you are getting. dull ache? painful ache? feel like burning? or is it a shap, intense stabbing type pain when under load. Its the latter pain that you really need to watch out for.

Supporting the shoulder complex is the shoulder girdle. Its basically a girdle of bone made up of the sternum, the clavicle and the scapula. When you train hard you put big load through this girdle. Big load through the girdle means big loads through the joints of the girdle.

The one hurt most often in minor training injuries seems to be the AC joint (acromio-clavicular joint) [the joint between the scapula and the clavicle]. It can very often get slightly torn or strained ligaments during some of the things that happen to it in a gym. Its particularly suceptable to shearing forces (such as shoulder press, bench press etc) that put forces through it at 90 degrees to its line of strength. The pain of an AC joint damage is sharp and feels like its right on top of your shoulder (the knobbly bit right at the top of the deltoid muscle).

Anyhow...the upshot of all this is that if the pain is sharp and breathtaking then stop. Seriously. Go see a doctor and try and get a reccomendation to see a physio. Bad shoulder injuries can take a hell of a long time to recover from and if you stop early it will heal so much faster. A torn rotator cuff muscle will heal up pretty quick (muscles are great for that). Ligaments on the other hand have little or no blood supply...and thus no nutrients with which to heal. So they take ages. months and months. Sometimes a year or two before full working strength is regained. Dont take the risk for the sake of proving your not a wuss to your gym buddies.

remember to strech and cool down after the shoulder excercises, I had some pain when doing power clings so i stopped for about 2 months.
    Bench - 315 x 1
    Squat - 325 x 5
    Power Clean - 225 x 4 (from the floor)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." GEORGE ORWELL

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--i started training early this year and in the first month my right sholder gave in on me

-- feel intense pain in my right sholder when i lift anything

--i also have alot of problems with my wrists aswell from training would seeing a doctor be any help?

Are you telling us that you did NOT go see your doctor after your original injury? That is ridiculous. Go see a doctor now, and yes, you should probably ask to see a physio.

Do it now, before you post again.

I'm highly bothered by the practice of asking semi-anonymous internet community members about whether or not to see a doctor about what seem to be obvious medical problems.