The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

breathing while benching

Hi, I want to first say that you guys have great information. I wanted to know how to go about breathing while doing heavy raw benching. I read in a power lifting magazine that Ed Coan recommends that you try and hold your breath for at least 3 reps so that you can keep the internal pressure and give you more power. Is this something I should be doing? I try to do at least 2 reps with the same breath. How do I go about breathing for reps of 5 or more without losing power?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I just breath in and out at the top of each rep. Feels natural to me.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

i would be careful if you hold your breath to long you may black out wouldn't be pretty
    Ed Coan is the tops in powerlifting imo reread the article maybe you can figure it out

Banned
    Do as many reps as you can with the one breath(within reason. Like they said, be safe about it and know your limits). In powerlifting , you probably won't be doing many more than 5 reps. If you pump out three reps and need to take a breath, wait until the bar is locked out on the third rep, take a HUGE gulp of air, and complete the set. This internal preasure make a huge difference in your lift, so take advantage of it.

the safest thing to do is to breathe out while doing the rep and in on the negative portion - this won't give you as much strength because its much less internal pressure on the other hand you don't risk the risks of extremely high internal pressure - aka ****ing up your organs - if you don't breathe out you risk blowing something in your heart from the high bp

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw