Thread: Interesting science behind starvation

Interesting science behind starvation

I just took a practice MCAT today and there was a passage in it about starvation. What do you think? I'm typing the whole thing out, so don't mind the typos.

The human body responds to starvation by using different substances for its primary metabolic fuel. During the first day of starvation, low blood glucose inhibits insulin secretion and stimulates glucagon secretion. Consequently, glycolysis is inhibited and glycogen utilization and glucose synthesis are promoted. In adipose cells, triacylglycerols are hydrolyzed, leading to the release and oxidation of fatty acids. In muscle, protein is degraded to provide some of the precursors for glucose synthesis. The use of fatty acids by liver and muscle tissue allows glucose to be conserved for use by the brain.

After three days of starvation, the liver produces mass quantities of ketone bodies (acetoacetate and 3-hydroxybutyrate) from acetyl CoA generated from fatty acid oxidation. The brain begins to consume acetoacetate in place of glucose, thereby lowering the need for blood glucose even further. After several weeks of starvation, ketone bodies become the major fuel of the brain, markedly diminishing the need for glucose. Hence, less protein ( and therefore less muscle tissue) is degraded than in earlier stages of starvation.

Damn, our bodies are smart.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Yeah its a fairly decent design.

3:16
    what is MCAT?

looks good to me. I did not a nutritonal starvation course work peace of paper like that.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    what is MCAT?
    Medical College Admissions Test.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

3:16
    as i am not sure how old you are.
    what is the level of MCAt is like pre university level or more like post doctoral work.

Excuse me i live in UK we have different systems to you.

and i do not know if you have a word limit etc. to see how good or bad this your answer is etc
    but what you wrote is correct as i remeber it
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I think MCAT is after your 4-year degree so you can get into medical school

Yeah the glucose starvation thing makes sense, isnt that what Keto diets are based on? You can go low cal because ketones are produced from fat and it spares muscle.
    Last edited by Y2A; 04-11-2004 at 01:34 PM.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Beast, I thought you were going to dental school. Shouldn't you be taking the DAT?
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    Beast, I thought you were going to dental school. Shouldn't you be taking the DAT?
    ec, I realized I couldn't see myself being a dentist, so I'm sticking with the original plan. God help me.

How is San Antonio these days?
    Last edited by Beast; 04-12-2004 at 11:14 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

That's exactly what happened to me. The prospect of sticking my hands down people's mouths wasn't very appealing. Best of luck with med school apps.

SA's good. Fiesta starts this week, so folks are priming their livers. If you've ever been down here during fiesta all sorts of craziness happens.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Curious on the MCAT and how the test/papers you need to write are.. Girlfriend is planning on becoming one, and is in the process of getting her degree in Civil Engineering before writing it up. Any advice or anything like that?
    Last edited by Nights; 04-13-2004 at 08:16 PM.
    LaLa

Ya stick with engineering. seriously though, that is a weird way to go. I met a guy who was taking electical engineering and then medical. Said he had like a **** years of school left. I think some people are just lazy and don't want to go to the real world. I had a phd tell me that.
    ack to the topic, he wanted to be a ee to design medical equipment or research or some related thing. But civil? Better off taking the money and run.

Quote Originally Posted by Nights
    Curious on the MCAT and how the test/papers you need to write are.. Girlfriend is planning on becoming one, and is in the process of getting her degree in Civil Engineering before writing it up. Any advice or anything like that?
    Just make sure she REALLY wants to commit to doing it. Med school means at least 7 more years of schooling after undergrad. Also, I hope she knows what the medical field is like these days. I'm sure you've heard of all of the nightmares.
    All she has to do is take the required classes, usually one year each of Calculus, Gen chem, Orgo chem, Biology, and Physics (all including labs). Some particular schools require other classes like Biochem, but not many.
    Then she has to take the MCAT, administered twice per year, in April and in August. This tests all of the science subjects just listed, except for calculus. It is a bitch of a test... lasts over 8 hours, usually. If she wants to take the MCAT, I definitely recommend taking a prep course, such as Kaplan. You really need exposure to the test, first.... you can't just take it without knowing what it is like and expect to do well. It's a lot more complicated and relies on reasoning and applying principles.
    Also, the MCAT is composed of 4 sections: Physical sciences (gen chem and physics), Bio sciences (Biology and orgo), Verbal Reasoning, and a Writing Sample. All of the sections are multiple choice, except for the writing sample. I think they are doing away with the writing sample next year, so that tells you how unimportant it is.
    I hope that answers your question!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Yeah.. answered all my questions, and made me rather glad I'm not the one trying for it. It's been her goal since she was a kid (and I don't mean "Mommy, I wanna be a doctor" sort of thing.. studying science, medical journals, everything, since she was in junior high or before. So think she's got the committed part). I'll have her look into the Kaplan if she hasn't been already. I think she knows how hard it is seeing as she's still got a few years left before taking the test and is already preping on it.

As for the taking the money and running on the civil engineering comment (Berserker).. not sure what you mean. Civils actually make decent here. Or rather, the jobs you can get with it right out of college. Even if not, it's not really her long term goal, more or less a degree to get her into medical.
    LaLa

As long as her GPA is ok and she does well on the MCAT, she shouldn't have problems, Nights. Since she's an engineer, they would be more lenient with her GPA since they know how rigorous her schedule has been.
    Last edited by Beast; 04-14-2004 at 10:19 AM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal