Thread: government memos that did not spur action:

government memos that did not spur action:

Dear Friends:

With the September 11 commission focusing this week on unheeded warnings and myriad intelligence malfunctions by the CIA and FBI, here are a few government memos that did not spur action:

* As Condoleezza Rice tells it, the August 6, 2001 President's Daily Brief was old news and contained "no new threat information." You know, apart from that stuff about the 70 ongoing FBI investigations of al-Qaeda cells and those bothersome "patterns of suspicious activity." Read the PDB:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0409041pdb1.html

* Then there was the July 2001 memo from the Phoenix FBI agent who noted the possibility of a "coordinated effort" by Osama bin Laden to place his disciples in U.S. flight schools. Agent Kenneth Williams, whose warning was ignored by bureau bosses, wrote that the terrorist's followers would be in a position "to conduct terror activity against civil aviation targets." Read the Phoenix memo:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...2phoenix1.html

* In May 1998, an FBI agent in the bureau's Oklahoma City office penned a memo, titled "Weapons of Mass Destruction," warning that "large numbers of Middle Eastern males" were taking flight lessons at local airports. The agent thought the enrollments may have been "related to planned terrorist activity." Read the Oklahoma City memo:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0412041memo1.html

I'm sick of all of it. I hate how everyone is looking for that one guy to blame. Heres what should have happened....

Bush should have got the memo, and he should have immediately stopped allowing airlines to sell tickets to middle easterners. Maybe he should have created new alien enemies acts and had them deported. THEN when the country is in an uproar about what an ******* he is, and they all complain about how he is stripping americans of their rights, he would be in the EXACT same boat he is in now!
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

amen, its time for military led government that shoots first and asks questions later!
    down with politics!

well lets not jump to conclusions. I am of the impression that there really is nothing anyone could have done.

being President has got to be a bitch. billion people depending on your lead, then a billion people with 20/20 hindsight. its a no-win situation.

9/11 probably could not have been prevented, but it could have been a lot less disastrous had the passengers all had some guts and fought the four freakin terrorists. I mean honestly, there were 4 or 5 guys with box cutters that could barely cut the flesh and you have 80 or so people just frightened out of their minds?

anyways, i'll exit and let the expert assumers take over.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    well lets not jump to conclusions. I am of the impression that there really is nothing anyone could have done.

being President has got to be a bitch. billion people depending on your lead, then a billion people with 20/20 hindsight. its a no-win situation.

9/11 probably could not have been prevented, but it could have been a lot less disastrous had the passengers all had some guts and fought the four freakin terrorists. I mean honestly, there were 4 or 5 guys with box cutters that could barely cut the flesh and you have 80 or so people just frightened out of their minds?

anyways, i'll exit and let the expert assumers take over.
    Th eblame for the 9/11 attacks should rest squarely on whoever decided passengers on airplanes can't carry firearms.

4 people with handguns could have stopped the attacks.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

So could have a few pissed off passengers

6'2"
    273 lbs.

considering the episodes of "air-rage" going on pre-9/11 i'm kinda glad passengers can't carry handguns.

your average american is not grown up enough to handle the responsibility.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

The average american isn't grown up to drive or pick out their own clothes, either.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

this is a very good point.

you know one of my coworkers accidentally cut off a middle-aged woman in traffic one day. (actually right in the area where you stayed last time). In any case this alleged grown up in a mercedes, followed her all the way to parking lot of our job, brandishing a gun at her. i'm not entirely sure how she was dressed. if badly it would have been a hat trick.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

You have to also remember that airline crews and people in general have been taught since the 1970s that you are supposed to be coorperative during a hijacking because usually the hijackers just want to be taken somewhere. These passengers also didn't know that they would eventually be flying into buildings. It was only during the 4th hijacking when the people onboard found out by cell phones what was going on and became determined that they weren't going out like that.

i still don't buy it. if i am/were on a plane, and 4 guys stood up with box cutters, i dont care if they want a billion dollar payoff, or just want to shorten the baseball season, you better believe im going to take my chances against those 4 guys before anything got out of hand.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Seriously, no hijacker is ever going to be able to take over an American plane ever again, because Webbie and everyone else will go kung fu on their ass and beat them to death with a laptop or something.

Of course, in terms of security, we still fighting the last war, with a whole lot of paranoia about sharp objects on plane.

I think the list of items that are not allowed at the airports are hilarious, especially the sacramento airport. no jousts or javelins allowed!

but agreed about planes now, nobody will sit back especially now and let them have their way. so they should save their billions of dollars on airport security, the best security is the passengers.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    I think the list of items that are not allowed at the airports are hilarious, especially the sacramento airport. no jousts or javelins allowed!
    Not just on airplanes, but government buildings as well. As a contractor, we are responsible for obtaining our own supplies. The bastards wouldn't let me bring in a pair of scissors! Talking about no sharp instruments of any kind are allowed.

Totally, dude!
    When my parents flew out of LAX the security guards took my mom's nail clippers. Sigh...

lol, i dont even think a navy seal can kill with nail clippers

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Depends on the clippers.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300