Thread: Powerlifting style routine with sguats once a week??

Powerlifting style routine with sguats once a week??

Hey ive been doing a body building split type workout for a while, but now id like to try more of a powerlifting one. My goals are to gain strength and some more mass would be nice also. This is good timing bc starting next week i will only be able to lift mondays, wenesdays, fridays, and sundays bc of some things i need to start taking care of so ill graduate. I have been thinking id like to do something like...
    MON---Bench(Main excercise) also db presses-2 sets triceps--total 4 sets--lats-4 sets
    TUES--OFF
    WENS--Dead/squat(main excercises) slds-2 sets t bar rows 2 sets leg press 2 sets
    THURS-OFF
    FRI----Bench(main excercise) flyes- 2 sets triceps-4 sets shoulders-4 sets
    SAT---OFF
    SUN---Dead/squat (main excercise) slds-2 sets t bar rows 2 sets leg press 2 sets

my only problem is that i have pretty bad recovery time for my legs. I would prefer to work them once a week. Is there any way i could switch this routine to legs once a week?? If any one has any ideas id realyl apreciate it.

I asked a similar ? to someone and they said do the deads once a wk., and you could do lighter speed squats the second day. And I would even do the Bench as a light form and speed day. on one of the days
    Hope that helps

Banned
    Your workout plan is perfect the way you have it writen. This is what I would suggest.
    Begining of training cycle:
    Mon
    Squat-Heavy
    Deadlift-Medium

Wed
    Bench-Heavy

Fri
    Deadlift-Heavy
    Squat-Medium

Sun
    Bench-Medium

About mid way through the training cycle when the weight start getting heavy:

Mon
    Squat-Heavy

Wed
    Bench-Heavy

Fri
    Deadlift-Heavy

Sun
    Bench-Light-Maybe a speed day

You've got to go with a form of 5x5. Start with moderate weight and increase every week. Put it together right and you'll do fine.

arite man i really like the 2nd one u gave

would it be ok to have sldl's on both squat and deadlift day???

Banned
    You should train squat and deadlift twice a week for the first 4-6 weeks of the training cycle, then when the weights get heavy, train them once a week. At this point, you don't want any extra work as you will be peaking in your cycle soon. Volume should be down. So no sldl at this point.

my problem is that i only have access to a free weight rqack once a week

Banned
    Do you have access to a bench press?

I've known people to do box squats out of a benchpress. You could do this on your medium day with a spotter

ive been thinking bout that..thas wut ill do

hey bro today i went up to my bench and tried the box squats. Worked really well. I put the bb on the top notch which is right aligned with my shoulders. Straddled the bench between my legs n stepped up to the rack n squatted just like it was out of a squat rack. The bench works great as a box bc it takes me down to parallel. I really apreciate your help. If you ever have the time check out my journal bc i could use all the help i could get now that im tryin a p lifting routine