Thread: McDonald’s 2004 Balanced Lifestyles Platform Highlights

McDonald’s 2004 Balanced Lifestyles Platform Highlights

McDonald’s 2004 Balanced Lifestyles Platform Highlights

New Food Choices and Ordering Options
    National launch of the first-ever “Go Active!™ Adult Happy Meal.” Designed to promote the importance of food/energy balance, this Happy Meal for adults includes a Premium Salad, bottled water, and a Stepometer™ so consumers can track their daily steps. There will also be a brochure that promotes walking as an attainable—and effective—exercise goal. Authored by exercise physiologist, and Oprah Winfrey’s personal trainer, Bob Greene, and endorsed by the American College of Sports Medicine, consumers can use the brochure as a stepping stone to create their own exercise and physical activity routines.
    National launch of McDonald’s New Happy Meal Choices. New Happy Meal Choices give parents and children the opportunity to mix and match offerings. The new offerings include Apple Dippers® (fresh, peeled apple slices) served with a low-fat caramel dipping sauce, and new beverage choices including 100% pure apple juice, white and chocolate 1% Milk Jugs, served in child-friendly containers.
    New McDonald’s Menu Choice Ordering Options. Available nationally, these options include the ability to order burgers and other sandwiches “low-carb-style,” without the buns, and a “Simple Steps” brochure that shows customers how to order across the menu to lower fat, calories and carbohydrates if desired.

Education and Easily Accessible Nutrition Information
    McDonald’s will team up with third-party experts to bring sound science and practical tips to all Americans. Currently, many in the health and nutrition industry are already playing a pivotal role in working with McDonald’s in a broad-scale consumer education campaign, including Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, the American College of Sports Medicine, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and others.
    McDonald’s volunteers to take an industry-leading role to respond to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to determine the best way to communicate nutrition information to consumers. This will occur both in restaurants and through broad-based consumer education initiatives, to help Americans make informed food choices based on their individual needs and lifestyle.
    McDonald’s will test providing nutrition information on Happy Meals in parent-approved and child-friendly ways. The objective is to help families make informed choices and learn ways to achieve good food/energy balance.
    McDonald’s is providing detailed nutrition information on trayliners and in-restaurant “McDonald’s & You” Nutrition Facts brochures and on the food and nutrition section of www.mcdonalds.com, which receives more than 250,000 customer visits every month. This site also includes a unique, interactive tool, called “Bag-a-McMeal,” which allows consumers to select any combination of McDonald’s menu items and the nutritional values are automatically calculated for them.
    McDonald’s is providing a program called What’s On Your Plate, featuring Willie Munchright™ to schools across the country. The program teaches elementary school children the importance of physical activity and making smart food choices. The program has been updated to reflect current knowledge in the nutrition community and to address relevant needs of today’s children. Originally launched and embraced by nutritionists in 1992, McDonald’s is making copies of this program, which includes vignettes, leader guides and activity books, available free to schools throughout the U.S.
    McDonald’s has already reallocated a significant amount of children’s retail marketing messaging to programming that positively impacts parents and children in the areas of health, education and development. This includes helping to underwrite Sesame Street, sponsoring Nickelodeon’s Playful Parent series that encourages parents to take an active, fun role in their children’s playtime, and collaborating on in-school programs such as McDonald’s and Scholastic, Inc.’s Reading Corners.

Physical Activity
    McDonald’s will launch “McDonald’s Go Active! American Challenge,” with Bob Greene. Greene will walk and bike across America for 36 consecutive days, challenging people to take steps toward more active lives. This will be the largest, sustained undertaking to date to encourage Americans all across the country to commit to more physical activity in their lives. Through the “Go Active! Happy Meal” and “Go Active! American Challenge,” an estimated 10 to 15 million Stepometers and walking/fitness booklets will be distributed to Americans throughout the country.
    McDonald’s is bringing together Ronald McDonald, the second most recognizable character in the world, and local Olympic athletes to help children adopt good physically active habits early in their lives through “Get Moving with Ronald McDonald.” This on-lot show emphasizes the importance of activity in everyday life and was developed in collaboration with the American Academy of Pediatrics.
    McDonald’s, as a long-standing sponsor of the Olympics, will pilot a youth Olympic soccer clinic this spring to help promote physical activity among kids. The goal is to make this program available to local soccer organizations nationwide later this year.

McDonald’s is the world’s leading foodservice retailer, with more than 30,000 restaurants serving more than 46 million people each day. Approximately 70 percent of McDonald’s U.S. restaurants are owned and operated by independent local businessmen and women.

I wannabebig!
    Hrmm...

Premium salad with insanely high-fat ranch dressing. Mmmmmm.

I want the "low-carb-style" big mac, but I ain't paying for the buns.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

I've recently switched from eating their burgers to eating their fajitas.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

until you can get REAL protein w/ out all that damn saturated fat, screw mcdonalds.
    Last edited by Anthony; 04-17-2004 at 09:40 AM. Reason: removed swearing

WannaBeBigToo
    There is quite a bit of stuff you can eat at Mc D's and its pretty good for fat content and other stuff. Here is a list of stuff i found thats pretty good (for fast food) IF you want lists of other fast food places, just ask

CAL FAT SAT CHOL SOD

Chicken McGrill 400 10 4 50 900
    Cheeseburger 330 14 6 50 830
    Small Fries 210 10 3 0 830
    Chicken McNuggets 290 17 5 55 540
    Grill Chicken Caesar 100 3 2 40 240
    Garden Salad 100 6 3 75 120
    Yogurt Parfait 380 5 2 15 240
    Vanilla Cone 150 5 3 20 80
    Small Shake 360 9 6 40 230
    Bagel 280 1 0 0 390
    Muffin 180 2 0 0 210
    Hash Browns 130 8 4 0 330

GRR!!!...supposed to come up in chart form...but im sure youll figure it out
    Last edited by TrevorN; 04-17-2004 at 01:33 AM.
    If you wish to speak with me, email me at encino "@" telus . net

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 190lbs
    Waist: 32"
    Chest: 50"
    Arms: 17 1/4"

yea screw MCdonalds if u want goo tastinig fast food check ouit chic fillet OMG their chargrilled chicken sandwich is awesome
    Last edited by Anthony; 04-17-2004 at 09:41 AM. Reason: removed swearing
    Bench 235 6 reps squats 415 8 reps barbell curls 120 rep 6 shoulder press 150lb 6
    shoulder press barbell 150 rep 6
    CUTTING stage 1 week
    before BW: 187 current BW:184
    before BF:20 current:20

MY PICS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../angelito2.jpg

The best advice would be "Don't go to McDonalds", but I guess that wouldn't be good for business.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

McDonald's, like everything, is perfectly acceptable in moderation. You can't blame them because idiots eat too much or go there every day.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

trevor, u have a website or something for other fast food places? i'm interested in just having a list of good things i can eat from a bunch of fast food places. i already have a few sites together, but i'm always looking to add to the list. so go ahead and let me know what you have.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blkwrx02
    trevor, u have a website or something for other fast food places? i'm interested in just having a list of good things i can eat from a bunch of fast food places. i already have a few sites together, but i'm always looking to add to the list. so go ahead and let me know what you have.

maybe this will help http://www.webterrace.com/fast/subway.htm

btw.. Mcdonalds is the devil
    Last edited by Focused; 04-17-2004 at 11:31 AM.

WannaBeBigToo
    i get all my numbers from a book called "Restaurant Confidential"

ill agree that most of mc donalds food is pretty bad, there are quite a few things there you can eat that are pretty healthy in reguards to fast food or even normal food.

those foods i listed were under 20g of fat and under 8g saturated.

Taco Bell has quite a few things that are under 20g of fat per meal, along with subway, blimpie, Wendy's...Even burger king and KFC have a few things.

Even when you think your eating healthy, good chances your not.
    Ranch, caesar dressings are very very bad for you (unless it states low fat or whatever), honey mustard sauce, simulate bacon bits, pecans and almonds are high in fat, danishes and corn muffins arent the greatest eithor.

I could go on and on.. I suggest buying that book or something similar
    If you wish to speak with me, email me at encino "@" telus . net

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 190lbs
    Waist: 32"
    Chest: 50"
    Arms: 17 1/4"

well i know plenty about most foods, so i know what i'm eating. it's just always nice to have the exact numbers for when i'm counting cals.

I have the book called "Nutrition Facts" and its exactly that.. Nutrition Facts for every single food and Fast Food place there is..

IMO I love In-n-Out with their protein style burgers. They wrap it in lettuce and still put whatever you want on it. Really tasty and not too hella bad for you. But when it comes to burgers you're always gonna have high saturated fat, unless you do-it-yourself and get the 99% lean burgers from Costco or Sam's Club and cook it on the George Foreman grill... now there's an idea.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

where'd u get that book? i'd like to know so i could order it from somewhere or go and pick it up

Remember the McLean Deluxe?

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220