The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    yes
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Sorry to bring up such an old topic, but i was doing a search and I think i know what you guys mean by tucking in your elbows. When bringing down the bar, your elbows should tuck, so that it is sort of going down towards your stomach, but also a bit out?

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I posted a video somewhere of Tommy Fannon benching. Watch the way he does it. Sorry I'm in superlazy mode or I'd grab the link for you.

SF, the link is in this thread. lmao.

http://66.235.16.23/training/2004_we...ench-555-3.wmv
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Haha, thanks Anthony.

<-- dork

Saturday Fever, yup I was just watching that video earlier today. And I was trying to focus in on his elbows, and it seems to me that he was bringing them towards his belly, and out just a bit. Is that what tucking is?

Well, to keep your elbows tucked, you have to keep your hands, wrists and elbows all in a straight line that's perpendicular to the bar.

To do that, the bar has to descend to your sternum the way it does in that video. Some benchers will bring the bar more straight down and lose that "straight line" between the hands and elbows. I can't bench that way because it makes my shoulders burn up in a bad way.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm still not 100% certain of what the direction of the elbows. I know what elbows flared is, but I'm still trying to figure out the tuck lol.

Below, I've attached a picture, would this be considered elbows tucked?

OR

Last edited by Alaric; 06-10-2004 at 06:43 PM.

Can't see much from these angles.

Plus they're both at the top of the ROM. It'd be easier to spot things if they were halfway down and shot from the side.

Hmm, ok I've found a couple other video clips, maybe if it isn't too much of a hassle you can see it and tell me if he tucks or not.

http://web.mit.edu/kevtrice/www/CSUFootage.mov
    Its about 19 megs....

or
    http://web.mit.edu/kevtrice/www/SheraldMax.mov
    Which is about 2.5 megs....

Thanks again!

In the bigger video, the second set you can see him keeping his elbows in better than anywhere else in the clips.

Thanks Saturday Fever, just to clarify, when he was benching 410, so that's tuckin in the eblows?

And just to test myself, I believe this man is tucking in his elbows ,correct?

http://web.mit.edu/kevtrice/www/340max.MOV
    File is about 4.5megs

Thanks again Saturday Fever!
    Last edited by Alaric; 06-12-2004 at 11:29 AM.

i noticed on the last video posted that the man goes down with his elbows tucked but as he starts to go up and begisn to struggle he flares his elbows out.....whats the deal and is that supposed to happen?

I wanna be big
    kind of off topic, but... all the lifters in the movies of the thread curve their back when they bench. I've heard thats not the proper way?

Quote Originally Posted by dsuh
    kind of off topic, but... all the lifters in the movies of the thread curve their back when they bench. I've heard thats not the proper way?
    you heard wrong.

I'd like to discuss that a bit...when i was taught to bench i was always todl to keep my feet flat on the floor, and my back flat on the bench...but when I watch these guys bench...most of them arch there bcak to the extent of where there ass and shoulders are barely touching the bench...and others go even farthere to where their butt isnt even on the bench anymore...ive experimented with this and found that arhing the back is helpful while benching....and when watching the big guys at my gym they arch their back as well.....could anyone please explain the proper way to bench...not from say a doctors point of view and quoting their thoughts...but from your own experiences and those of others you know....!! ty

Quote Originally Posted by emjlr3
    I'd like to discuss that a bit...when i was taught to bench i was always todl to keep my feet flat on the floor, and my back flat on the bench...but when I watch these guys bench...most of them arch there bcak to the extent of where there ass and shoulders are barely touching the bench...and others go even farthere to where their butt isnt even on the bench anymore...ive experimented with this and found that arhing the back is helpful while benching....and when watching the big guys at my gym they arch their back as well.....could anyone please explain the proper way to bench...not from say a doctors point of view and quoting their thoughts...but from your own experiences and those of others you know....!! ty
    PL'ers arch their back to shorten the distance the bar has to travel. The higher the chest is, the shorter the ROM. Do that, and use the widest grip allowed, and you have a very short bench ROM.

Now I'm not sure about this, but I think as long as you keep your butt on the bench, arching your back isn't all that bad. I've done this when trying 1 rms and have never had a problem. Squeezing your shoulders back and keeping your butt on the bench I think really helps.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Yeah, arch shortens the ROM, and puts the movement into more of a decline motion, so less shoulder involvement. This will aid in putting up more weight. If you are a powerlifter than this is the method primarily used. If you are simply bodybuilding it isn't necessarily the method you need to use. Powerlifters are concerned with the pounds they put up, not how much muscle stimulation they achieve.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I wanna be big
    so I'm guessing the bouncing off the chest is normal too?
    Last edited by dsuh; 06-17-2004 at 02:09 AM.

hmmm yea ive been arching my back a little my last workout while keeping my ass and shoulders firmly on the bench...lowering the bar to about the stpot where my rib cage meets at the lower part of my sternum....i does feel better on my shoulders....but ur saying that this lowers the effectiveness of the lift on the muscles..and just makes you do more weight? or what??
    o yea and boucing off the chest is a bad thing..watch any of the videos...they go down slow..pause on their chest and then push the bar up

Quote Originally Posted by dsuh
    so I'm guessing the bouncing off the chest is normal too?
    Yah just bring some glue for your sternum cause you might just doing some damage 2 it.
    Last edited by KrAzY; 06-26-2004 at 01:43 AM.

Boucning off the chest is just plain bad. Don't do it, unless you want a trip to the emergency room. Control the bar going down.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

So what do you think of this form?
    http://www.crowdcontrolusa.com/workout/parsons330.wmv

This is my work out partner doing 330lbs flat bench, no benchshirt, no BS, just raw.

I'm spotting in this video, but I use the same basic motion as him. Current max is 315, tried 325 yesterday & didnt get it

I tried that MM Bench program many years ago. I made like a 20lb increase in my bench max. I think it has some merit but for most advanced people it wont help much. It designed for a noobie more than anything.
    Preface everything I say with: "For intellectual curiosity:"
    or: "A friend wanted to know:"

It's ok, but not quite optimal from a PLing perspective. I'd try to tuck a bit more.

Everyone is different though - the best benching form from a PLing perspective is the legal one that allows you to bench the most without getting hurt.

The bench in the above vid would not get a white light from me.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.