The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well he did bounce the weight off his chest there in that last video posted. Also, if it were powerlifting he didn't pause either so would never have passed, but obviously it's not a competition.

Spotter, you should have helped him up when he stalled on the second rep attempt. You let him bounce it a few times off his chest before you jumped in. Luckily, nothing happened from it, but once the bar stops moving up, there's not much more to be done about it.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Hardly any of those videos show guys that really understand how to bench press the way the vast majority of powerlifters do, aside from the one where the guy tripled 555. Even the guy in the 19 meg video didn't tuck his elbows at all, though he at least had a nice arch.

Look at the dude benching on the top right of the screen here (usually) for the Monster Muscle magazine. He tucks his elbows and he's putting up a ton of weight with a pause thanks to it!

Elbows tucked doesn't have really anything to do with how wide your grip is, how arched your back is or what path the bar goes in (though generally when you tuck it will feel more comfortable to go lower). When you tuck your elbows your arms are pretty much parrallel to your chest/abs.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 06-30-2004 at 10:51 AM.

Bounce, no pause, and his feet appeared to move. It definitely wouldn't pass at a meet. 330 is still some decent weight to push around, though.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Well he did bounce the weight off his chest there in that last video posted. Also, if it were powerlifting he didn't pause either so would never have passed, but obviously it's not a competition.

Spotter, you should have helped him up when he stalled on the second rep attempt. You let him bounce it a few times off his chest before you jumped in. Luckily, nothing happened from it, but once the bar stops moving up, there's not much more to be done about it.
    He has some great stamina and has pulled some reps out of his a5s like he almost got that second one there. He doesnt want me to help until he calls for it. So I waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Bounce, no pause, and his feet appeared to move. It definitely wouldn't pass at a meet. 330 is still some decent weight to push around, though.
    It wasnt a competition bench obviously. If we were in competitions, we'd go buy benchshirts and he might be doing 380lb+ with a good bench shirt.
    Last edited by chris6969; 06-30-2004 at 10:51 AM.
    Preface everything I say with: "For intellectual curiosity:"
    or: "A friend wanted to know:"

Quote Originally Posted by chris6969
    He has some great stamina and has pulled some reps out of his a5s like he almost got that second one there. He doesnt want me to help until he calls for it. So I waited.
    Lol, not to knitpick, but "almost" got that second one? Not even close. The only reason the bar moved the 3 or 4" was from the bounce off the chest. Still really great strength though. I'd be interested to see what he could do without bouncing the bar.

Fair enough on the spot, however, probably not the safest way to do it.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Lol, not to knitpick, but "almost" got that second one? Not even close. The only reason the bar moved the 3 or 4" was from the bounce off the chest. Still really great strength though. I'd be interested to see what he could do without bouncing the bar.

Fair enough on the spot, however, probably not the safest way to do it.
    Was there chanting or something in the sound on that video? I heard this repetitive noise but my sound card is crap.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    He's going to tear his pec benching like that. He needs to get his elbows under the bar more, his arch was really poor, his shoulders rotated too much and it looks as if he isn't pulling his shoulderblades back properly or tightly.

And bouncing is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    Was there chanting or something in the sound on that video? I heard this repetitive noise but my sound card is crap.
    Yeah I was yelling
    "Come on, do it..."
    "330.... 2 times... " etc...
    Preface everything I say with: "For intellectual curiosity:"
    or: "A friend wanted to know:"