Thread: OT Youngest to Squat 1000?

Wannabebig Member

OT Youngest to Squat 1000?

Who was the youngest person ever to squat 1000lbs, how old was he? Has anyone else come close to beating that record since? Was this person on roids?

ummm i dont even know, i dont think it is anyone that young considering how much 1000 is - thats like saying "who was the youngest player to reach 600 homeruns... theyre all pretty old by that point"-- and 'were they on roids'.... 'roids'.....
    well we probably wouldnt kno if they were on "ROIDS".. and we probably wouldnt call them roids either..
    maybe they were on hemoROIDs..
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Givne the list of people who have squatted over 1000 is pretty short, this is probably a pretty easy question to answer.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

This is just a guess, but it could have been Al Mehan.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Shane Hamman was the youngest to do it and I believe it was in 96 in his early 20's....PLUSA had a special on 1000 lb squatters a few months ago, I'll try and find to confirm this

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    How old is Vogelpohl? He's not too old and he was the first guy being so light to do it.

I thought chuck was mid 30's?
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I second Dawk, i'm almost positive it was Hamman.

Shane Hamman did 1000 at 23 years old. dawk and Hercule are right.

Standing backflip, two hand dunk, and a 36" vertical. Not bad for someone 5'9 and 370+!!!

http://www.usoc.org/cfdocs/athlete_b...=Weightlifting
    Last edited by Anthony; 06-15-2004 at 01:14 PM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I can guarantee anybody who can even come close to squatting 1000 is or has been on steriods, not that it's a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    I can guarantee anybody who can even come close to squatting 1000 is or has been on steriods, not that it's a bad thing

I would agree with you, but I can think of 2 exceptions. One is Paul Anderson, although whether or not he did over 1000 lbs is somewhat dubious.

The other is James Searcy, one of AtLarge's sponsored athletes. He tells me he is drug free and I believe him. The conversations I have had with the man lead me to believe he is an honest man. Now, he hasn't made 1000+ yet, but plans to at his next competition. He just did 800 x 6 without knee wraps, a suit, or anything other than a belt in his training. Throw him in his gear and he should be good for 1000+.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Chris, what do you think of Fred Hatfield?

800x6?

holy freakin hell....
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog

no. i bet money that brent mikesell isn't on steroids, and he has the WR squat at 1141. he takes protein, glutamine, and creatine, thats it.

i dont think steve goggins is on steroids either?
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Tim Harold Jr. from WSB will be the youngest to ever squat a grand. It looks like he's gonna hit it at his next meet.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Banned
    Anyone who has squatted over 1000lbs is on the "stuff". If they tell you different, they are lying. That goes for Tim Harold Jr, Brent Mikesell, Fred Hatfield, Shane Hammond, James Searcy, Chuck Vogelpohl and anyone else you mention.

I have nothing against drugs, but I've been in the powerlifting world long enough to know.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    I would agree with you, but I can think of 2 exceptions. One is Paul Anderson, although whether or not he did over 1000 lbs is somewhat dubious.

I grew up in his hometown, they've got a museum there. Its worth the time if anyone's ever in Atlanta and feels like driving for an hour...

Quote Originally Posted by biggimp
    no. i bet money that brent mikesell isn't on steroids, and he has the WR squat at 1141. he takes protein, glutamine, and creatine, thats it.

i dont think steve goggins is on steroids either?

hahahahaha
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

It's like Dave Tate says. 80% of the guys at a powerlifting meet are on steroids.

Personally I'm betting that that 80% is also the top 80% in attendance.

Neollagnailati
    Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    I grew up in his hometown, they've got a museum there. Its worth the time if anyone's ever in Atlanta and feels like driving for an hour...
    Really, where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    Chris, what do you think of Fred Hatfield?

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianGalleon
    Really, where is it?

A town in the middle of nowhere called Toccoa, Georgia. For a $hithole town in the middle of the Northeast GA mountains, it gets around. If anyone has seen Band of Brothers, Camp Currahee is there as well.

I actually got to meet Paul Anderson when I was a kid, he was still enormous at age 60...