The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squats, calfs, hams and lunges - help please :)

Ive been training seriously now for 11 weeks and Im finally beginning to see some good gains. Im also beginning to figure out my strengths and weaknesses and Im looking for some advice now to dump useless exercises and focus on the best ones...I have some questions if anyone cares to throw some opinions/advice my way:

I love squats. My legs are strong and surprise me. Im currently doing hack squats simply becasue the gym i use dosnt have a smithy machine and so I know no other way of safely squatting weight and unloading it afterwards. Any advice? Are there other methods of squatting I could use with only a bar and weights to help?

My calves are a total mystery to me. I trained them like any other muscle once a week (im following WBB1 routine basically at the moment) and so they got trained on wednesdays with the rest of legs. I have been repping massive (for me) weights on them, 2 warmup sets and two heavy as i can sets. Ive watches my thighs growing and defining...my calfs have not changed a bit. They never even so much as hurt after. They fail like normal muscles but 30 mins later its like i never trained em. Next day my thighs are killing...calfs are as happy as...well....happy things. So i decided to hit them 2x per week on my arm and then on my back/chest days. Same story. no growth....no recovery pain....training them as heavy as i can. any advice? i want to get big calfs. I also suspect i should have been saying calves

I also do hamstring curls on a machine. Do i really need to do them? The machine is pretty grim and uncomfortable. Feels like im fighting the machine...can never get it to adjust to my body properly and i dont really feel im getting much out of it. is there a free weights method of training hams?

Lastly on leg days i finish off the session with lunges whilst carrying dumbells. Its a killer...i hate doing them and if anyone can tell me im wasting my time with them i will be a happy chappy. However of they are usefull and compliment squats etc then ill stick with them.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Sorry the post was so damn long.
    Augs.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    i feel the same with lying hamstring curls, I prefer standing one legged or seated, as far as your calves grow try different reps, using a broader rom, or try some hill sprints.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    I really like Glute Ham Raises, if your gym has one. They hit my hamstrings better than anything does, and also give a nice burning to the calves if you do them through a full ROM.

Thanks for the replies so far. My gym has only one machine for doing hams and its a seated, pull your heels under you type machine. It feels godawful to use and i feel like most of my effort is trying to overcome the lousy mechanical setup of the machine. I was hoping either that someone might be able to advise a free weights technique (even if its unorthodox) or perhaps tell me i dont need to do ham curls on the grounds that they get hit in other compound exercises enough?

Augs

Only foo fight man in kilt The Celt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Augury
    My calves are a total mystery to me. I trained them like any other muscle once a week (im following WBB1 routine basically at the moment) and so they got trained on wednesdays with the rest of legs. I have been repping massive (for me) weights on them, 2 warmup sets and two heavy as i can sets. Ive watches my thighs growing and defining...my calfs have not changed a bit. They never even so much as hurt after. They fail like normal muscles but 30 mins later its like i never trained em. Next day my thighs are killing...calfs are as happy as...well....happy things. So i decided to hit them 2x per week on my arm and then on my back/chest days. Same story. no growth....no recovery pain....training them as heavy as i can. any advice? i want to get big calfs. I also suspect i should have been saying calves
    Same with me. As a matter of fact, I just got done doing legs 30 minutes ago and I still feel the remnance of a pump every where but my calves. Because your calves support your entire bodyweight all day through walking, standing, etc, they're already adept to high volume. I'm unfamiliar with WBB#1 but, I think you might need to throw in an extra exercise for calves. If you do standing extensions, try adding seated extensions as well. Or leg press extensions... you get the point.

"Always find something to fuel your growth, and know that each rep brings you closer to your goal." - Tommi Thorvildsen

Beloved, gaze in thine own heart,
    The holy tree is blooming there.
    -- W. B. Yeats

Ná nocht d'fhiacla go bhféadfair an greim do bhreith.
    - An old Celtic proverb.

I am currently doing this on calves:

mon and friday

10,6,7,7 reps. Last two reps of the 7 sets will fail on second last or last.
    I do a seated set using edge of press plate
    I do a standing set with dumbells and a stepper box

I dont know what else to do....it seems insane that they wont grow

Quote Originally Posted by Augury
    I am currently doing this on calves:

mon and friday

10,6,7,7 reps. Last two reps of the 7 sets will fail on second last or last.
    I do a seated set using edge of press plate
    I do a standing set with dumbells and a stepper box

I dont know what else to do....it seems insane that they wont grow

First, you gotta go super heavy. But you gotta do more than what you're doing. As 'The Celt' said, your calves support you all day long, so when you train them to get bigger, you gotta give 'em a reason to. and 30 reps for 2 machines heavy weigh just wont cut it. Here's what I do:

Get on the leg press machine and load it up with tons of weight on each side, I put 6-8 plates on each side. Put your toes on the bottom of it and start doing calf raises on it. Choose a weight you can barely get 10-15 with. Do your set of 10-15, then wait 5-10 seconds, then do it again, then again, then again, then again, for 5-6 sets or so.

Now, get on the seated calf raises and putalotta weight on, maybe something you can get 15-20 times, but barely getting it 15-20 times. Do your set and make sure you squeeze every one out. After the set, wait 5 seconds and do another, then another, then another, then another, for 5 or 6 sets. By this time they should be absolutely on fire.

Now go over to a box or something and stand on the edge and do single leg calf raises while putting you're other leg behind you, and go very slowly, until you fatigue (you're absolutely dead). Make sure you squeeze everyone out so that it hurts. Even if its burning keep going until you can't do anymore. There are no breaks with this, once one side is fatigued go to the other side, when that side is fatigued, go to the other side, and keep going for about 4 sets (4 sets each leg)

If you dont feel it in you're calves tomorrow then you're superman. I do something similar to that every time i go to the gym and I'm getting great responses, my calves are always sore.

As for only training 2x a week, I would train them everyday you workout, you DO use them everyday so they know what its like to be worked everyday, so MAKE them adapt to heavy weight everyday. Thats how they'll grow.

As far as hamstrings are concerned, do straight leg deadlift after you're leg curls.

I hope that helped some

Good luck!
    Last edited by JSully; 04-21-2004 at 07:09 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

^ yea, there's a thread floating around here with a link to a site that says if your calves aren't responding, then up the weight and do more reps in the smallest time frame (today I did, 45/45/40) in about 5 min with 170 lbs. and the burn was incredible... however, my calves have always been my weakest point (stick legs), but hopefully they will finally respond to this type of training (I also alternate with toes pointing outward, and then toes pointing inward)
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.