The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    WBB Member

Does squatting ever make your knees sore?

Are my knees supposed to be sore from doing squats? I usually do low reps, high weight and have found that my knees are usually sore right on the bottom of my kneecaps. It doesn't bother me except when I do deadlifts or squats again, and even then it's more annoying than anything else. It's not bad enough to keep me from doing my normal routine, and it usually goes away (temporarily) after my first couple warm up sets (I do Max-OT). It hurts if I push or tap on it though. Is this a normal side effect of heavy squats/DL or am I doing something wrong?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First of all, check your form. Beyond that, you could

a) Get some Glucosamine/MSM to help with Cartilage/Joint Recovery

b) Get some knee wraps
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

I do ATF squats so my weights aren't really heavy.

I've always had a weak joint problem so it cracks and pops all the time, but a sore knee is quite new to me. What do you mean by "soreness?" Does it feel bruised?

If you lift heavy weights, it might be a good idea to get knee wraps for extra support as Patrick suggested.

WBB Member
    It's not bruised. I guess extremely sensitive would be a better way to describe it. If I tap the bottom of my kneecap (like right where the tendon connects) with my finger, it hurts.

Just one last rep!
    Yip both of my knee caps hurt there. Watch your form and a little ice after your wo can really help. I've also found that running on hard surfaces is the biggest culprit for me.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I really don't give a **** I'm gonna eat em both!
    Height: 69" Weight: 205 BF% about 15
    Chest: 47 Biceps: 16.5
    Waist: 34 Thigh: 26
    Calves: 16.5 Neck: 16.25
    Wrist: 7 Ankle: 8.5
    Main Supplements are: Various proteins (200-250g/day) Aminos, Glutamine, Creatine, Vitamins. Best way to put on muscle? Lift as heavy as possible. Consume lots of protein and carbs around workout. Biggest weakness is hamstring and lower back. Working on DL.

Journal in progress

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    It's not bruised. I guess extremely sensitive would be a better way to describe it. If I tap the bottom of my kneecap (like right where the tendon connects) with my finger, it hurts.
    Are you getting good depth? Not going at least parallel can put more stress on the knee. Also, make sure you are bending your knees in.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Knee Wraps normally sort my bad knee out, and the tenderness in your knee can probably be solved by running(My Own Opinion)

because ive had a 8 month layoff when i was 12 as i got a stud cracked through my knee cap, but i find iff u strengthen the ligaments, you rarely iff ever get bad aches or pains. hope that helps a bit ;-\
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

Under Construction
    Are your knees drifting too far in front of your toes? If so, that places a lot of stress on the knees.
    Just one guy's opinion.

I would talk to a doctor.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

yeah i've never had my knees hurt from squatting.

maybe you should back up on the weight and increase reps a little.

they hurt my knees too. but im kind of overweight (almost 20%bf) at 215-220. and ive had two knee surgeries.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal