The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Lifting and Immune System

Does lifting weights suppress the immune system? I've noticed that ever since I've started lifting, I've gotten sick more often. I'm sure there could be other factors (rest, diet etc) but I was wondering if lifting will cause more of a supression than other factors.

Also, I have been sick the last couple of days, very sore throat and chest congested. I've noticed that after I lift, my congestion clears up really fast. Any ideas why that happens?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Oops, wrong forum. Can a mod move this to General Health please?
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

One thing you should do is as soon as your workout is over go immediately to the washroom and wash your hands thoroughly. Also, during your workout try not to bring your hands near your nose or mouth too much. The gym is a cesspool of bacteria and you can easily catch something if you don't wash up after, or repeatedly bring your hands to your face. Even if I'm going to cough I'll cover my mouth with a towel, not my hand.

I think it does weaken the immune system though. As your body probably has more parts competing for more nutrients than normal, so there is less available for your immune system or whatever else may prevent ailments.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 04-22-2004 at 09:24 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Oops, wrong forum. Can a mod move this to General Health please?
    Da.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Well I figured that going to the gym would increase my chances of getting sick due to the germs everywhere. It's impossible to clean everything or to keep my contact with dirty equipment to a minimum. I do the best that I can.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

no weight training is supposed to improve the immune system, but if you are overtrained then you will be more likely to get i'll.

Humans are designed to cope with germs, they will only be a problem if you are already in a weakend state
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

Does lifting weights suppress the immune system? I've noticed that ever since I've started lifting, I've gotten sick more often. I'm sure there could be other factors (rest, diet etc) but I was wondering if lifting will cause more of a supression than other factors.

Also, I have been sick the last couple of days, very sore throat and chest congested. I've noticed that after I lift, my congestion clears up really fast. Any ideas why that happens?
    Unfortunately its the opposite w/me, assuming I use lifting gloves and stay clean.

The congestion clearing is probably getting all that air into your lungs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    One thing you should do is as soon as your workout is over go immediately to the washroom and wash your hands thoroughly. Also, during your workout try not to bring your hands near your nose or mouth too much. The gym is a cesspool of bacteria and you can easily catch something if you don't wash up after, or repeatedly bring your hands to your face. Even if I'm going to cough I'll cover my mouth with a towel, not my hand.

I think it does weaken the immune system though. As your body probably has more parts competing for more nutrients than normal, so there is less available for your immune system or whatever else may prevent ailments.
    Exactly. I try to keep my hands as far away from nose, mouth, eyes as possible and instead use my wrists or forearms for scratching itch's and what not.
    Also, a good idea is a pocket sized hand sanitizer. They sell em at pharmacies/Supermarkets for like $1-$1.50 and are totally worth the money. I get them like 5 at a time and they usually last about a month to a month and a half.

Also, if your working out while cutting, the calorie deficit makes it tougher.
    Last edited by AllUp; 04-22-2004 at 10:06 AM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

re:

Epinephrine (adrenaline) released when you work out doubles as a good decongestant. That's why you can breathe better.

Glaim: figured it had something to do with that. It's really amazing how much I clear up after my first heavy set.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

I have always believed training with a less than adequate diet (under maintenance calories) will make you much more prone to being sick.

A couple of interesting links I found:

http://www.chiropractic-sports.com/r...une-system.htm

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/zinc-athletes.html

Quote Originally Posted by prof
    no weight training is supposed to improve the immune system, but if you are overtrained then you will be more likely to get i'll.

Humans are designed to cope with germs, they will only be a problem if you are already in a weakend state
    Prof, you're actually wrong.

Lifting does weaken the immune system, but not significantly so. Mainly your innate immunity is supressed, not your acquired. When you lift, you tear down muscle fibers. These, in turn, get processed by macrophages and other phagocytic cells. You also release a flood of cytokines which may cause localized inflammation. Overall, excercise will strengthen your immune system, but lifting heavy, and for prolonged periods will weaken it somewhat. This affect should not be major though.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

ectx, you're looking at teh short term though. for a little while it will be lower than it had been, but then it will increase. overall the person who lifts will have a better immune system than the person who never lifts.

Yes, true, but eitherway, it weakens your immune system. The paradox is that if you overtrain, it's more pronounced. Perhaps that's Max-Mex's problem. Then again, he could just have gym cooties.

Gym Cooty guidelines.

1. wash your hands
    2. Spray your equipment down
    3. never ever ever rub your nose or eyes.

The last one is especially important.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

I seem to get ill less than my non weightlifting friends, always thought it could be training related, might just be genetic
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

well there are benefits...they just go with an overall training regimen. If you increase your cardiovascular capacity, etc. your health, including your immune system is improved. Chances are your lifestyle is probably healthier overall...you watch what you eat, you take supplements that include antioxidants, etc. etc. It all adds up. So overall you get a health benefit. What will usually get you in trouble is not sleeping, overtraining, or lifting when sick.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    Yes, true, but eitherway, it weakens your immune system. The paradox is that if you overtrain, it's more pronounced. Perhaps that's Max-Mex's problem. Then again, he could just have gym cooties.

Gym Cooty guidelines.

1. wash your hands
    2. Spray your equipment down
    3. never ever ever rub your nose or eyes.

The last one is especially important.
    Gym cooties! I've rubbed my nose and eyes before. I guess I should watch that more. BTW, I have no voice now. Chest is full of snot. I feel better, but sound like uttter s h i t.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Gym cooties! I've rubbed my nose and eyes before. I guess I should watch that more. BTW, I have no voice now. Chest is full of snot. I feel better, but sound like uttter s h i t.
    Rubbing your nose and eyes is probably the most common way of "catching" something. You can get away with not washing your hands so long as you dont stick 'em in any body cavity. Therein lies the problem. I still highly recommend washing your hands. LOL

Save that snot...I've run out of clinical samples! lol

hope you feel better.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

Send me your address and I'll be more than happy to save anything that comes out when I hack.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

LOL, nope. I'm done with that research...plus I need fresh snot. LOL.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

LOL.
    Hack it
    Freeze it
    Send it
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Make a habit of taking vitamin C if you don't already. I never get sick anymore I credit the fact that I take vitamins for it.

And yea, I think lifting suppresses the immune system.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 04-27-2004 at 06:47 PM.