The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Work in progress

What are these red, marks, lines on me after I lift???

After lifting....sometimes I get these red marks on me (so far on lower bicep and shoulders)

Yesterday...after lifting fairly hard...i had them on both sides of my shoulders and they were pretty red...what the heck is that? They were there this morning too...

The marks on my biceps where darker, like brown and still there just kind of faint...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

do u mean like red lines, sort of like in your skin, like a crater?
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

unemployed college grad jimlynch11's Avatar
    Probably the start of stretch marks - congrats!

If you don't want them, start putting some vitamin E on there everynight.

It may be stretch marks but it could also be the exercise. Example, when I do standing calf raises, the pads cause red lines on my shoulders that are usually there for a day or two.

Really from the discription it sounds more like the start of stretch marks. Really not sure though.

Yeah, hit it up w/vitamin E or mineral oil just in case.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Work in progress
    man that sucks....I don't need more of those...

* Buys vitamin E *

Should i get like a cream? Any specific recommendations?

Work in progress
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    That's pretty pricey...how well does it work?

Can't i just pick up some vitamin E to atleast stop new marks?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    Do you know how well it works for wrinkles? It says it works for wrinkles just curious. I know someone who wants good wrinkle cream and well it would make a good gift, if it works well. The name seems familiar.

Definitely stretch marks. You get them from multiple factors, including how hard you train, deficiency of zinc, etc. The main factor is low body fat.

I got them everytime I trained. I get them on my chest and back. Sometimes by delts. Anyhoo, I loaded up on calories and 20 pounds later, I rarely get them anymore. When I do get them, it's not as extreme as it was when I was 5% bodyfat. I don't expect to cut anytime soon. =)

Quote Originally Posted by GrindingOut
    That's pretty pricey...how well does it work?

Can't i just pick up some vitamin E to atleast stop new marks?
    I tried vitamin E, and I couldn't even tell the difference. It really doesn't do anything.

I heard melona works. I don't even know if that's the name of the chemical. It started with an M. Anyway, I heard this works pretty well.

The best way to make stretch marks less visible is laser, which is very expensive.

Work in progress
    Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    Definitely stretch marks. You get them from multiple factors, including how hard you train, deficiency of zinc, etc. The main factor is low body fat.

I got them everytime I trained. I get them on my chest and back. Sometimes by delts. Anyhoo, I loaded up on calories and 20 pounds later, I rarely get them anymore. When I do get them, it's not as extreme as it was when I was 5% bodyfat. I don't expect to cut anytime soon. =)
    Body fat is 1 thing i don't lack LoL

however...i have little body fat on my shoulders where the marks were REAL visable yesterday...

I would like to know if that actually works and if it does, how?

Stretch marks are caused by the muscles/fat growing faster than the skins ability to stretch. When you grow to fast, the skin does not have the elasticity to accomodate. The skin in the area of the stretch mark is actually thinner due to the stretching than the surrounding skin and will turn red at first. After a period of time, they will fade but are still present. If you have faded stretch marks and begin to exercise again, the entire mark will turn red in most cases.

There are ways to help prevent them and also ways to make them fade slightly faster. If you apply lotion pretty religiously to the skin, it will allow the skin to be more acceptable to stretching which can help to reduce the occurrance of stretch marks.

Cocoa Butter or Vitamin E will assist in fading the marks but the marks will still remain but wont be as visible.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyTX
    It may be stretch marks but it could also be the exercise. Example, when I do standing calf raises, the pads cause red lines on my shoulders that are usually there for a day or two.

Really from the discription it sounds more like the start of stretch marks. Really not sure though.

Thats what i was thinking.

Like leg press, or a military press machine, or squat machine will do that crap. Red lines all cut up around your shoulders.

Work in progress
    Quote Originally Posted by ianack4life
    Thats what i was thinking.

Like leg press, or a military press machine, or squat machine will do that crap. Red lines all cut up around your shoulders.
    * Rejoices *

I was doing squat on the machine and incline bench presses...this was the 1st time i used the squat machine so i'm almost sure that's what those marks stemmed from...

Still not sure about the darker, brown lines that appeared on my lower biceps...those aren't that bad though...

Yeah, sounds like your getting them in the locations that the bars, pads, etc are resting on your skin.

It is sort of like when you pinch your skin in a door or something similar and you get a blood blister. The weight of the object pressing against the skin will cause small dotted "blood" lines which normally fade after a short period of time.

One of my wifes paralegals will bring his wife over to the house when we have get togethers. She is model material and was wearing a shirt the last time that showed her shoulders. I happened to notice that she had these lines on her shoulders and I asked her if she worked out that day. She said yes and I said I bet you did standing calf raises. She was shocked and wanted to know how I could have guessed that. I pointed out the marks on her shoulders and just like me, she always gets them from that exercise.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

Quote Originally Posted by GrindingOut
    Body fat is 1 thing i don't lack LoL

however...i have little body fat on my shoulders where the marks were REAL visable yesterday...
    Exactly. I never get stretch marks on my belly, ass and legs because I genetically just have a lot of fat there. However, my chest and back is another story.