Thread: Sprinting workout - any good to replace gym HIT exercises?

Wannabebig New Member

Sprinting workout - any good to replace gym HIT exercises?

Hola,

Lacking quite a bit of gym equiptment, I find I am having trouble stimulating my leg muscles for HIT

Basically I cant get enough weight to fail soon enough,

So I am wondering If I need to get to the gym, (not my favorite) or if a high intensity sprinting workout would help the legs grow bigger,

Sprinters do seem to have very well developed legs -

So Im wondering what kind of 'replacement' sprinting would make, to the gym counterparts for quads, hamstrings, calfs, etc...

Thanks !!

-Arron

no they don't....
    sprinters legs tend to be very thin....(leroy burrel being one of the few exceptions I can think of)
    sprinting won't build you big muscles
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 04-21-2004 at 08:16 PM.

sprintings always improved my squat strength but that could just be me. that is all I can contribute to this thread.

Footballer
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    no they don't....
    sprinters legs tend to be very thin....(leroy burrel being one of the few exceptions I can think of)
    Are you kidding look at Maurice green or donovan bailey, who have both held world records, Maurice green still does. Anyways their legs are huge.

having world records is no indication of leg size.
    With few exceptions most sprinters legs aren't very big.
    Granted they look like a horses leg when they are pumped up and running full stride....They have low bodyfat, and when they are running they are pretty much fully flexed and pumped with blood...but thats about it. (with a few exceptions, like Leroy)

I've stood next to maurice and a ton of elite american sprinters...
    If I had a scanner I'd put up pics with me standing next to them in casual poses so you could see their legs aren't that big...nor is any other part of them...they just tend to have lower bf than most people, avg is prob around 6% ish.

This doesn't mean that you can't be huge and be an effective sprinter (ben johnson prime example)
    it just means that sprinting alone isn't going to make you much bigger.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 04-23-2004 at 08:42 AM.

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    i was thinking about doing sprints in the morning to jump start my metabolism and get rid of some bodyfat...but i've read that cardio in the morning (15 minutes after getting up i mean) is catabolic..i sure as hell don't want that...besides everytime i read something on running/sprinting it always says it is catabolic..now who the hell wants to run now...ranting sorry...i was thinking about waking up at 5:30 and sprinting 100yds x10 from 5:50 till done...sound good or am i on the way to losing some seriously earned mass and strength...

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    no they don't....

Sprinters tend to be 'big'. Extremely ripped, built guys. Not body builders, but built