Thread: herniated/slipped disc

Hybrid View

remove

n/m
    Last edited by frankm007; 12-23-2006 at 08:37 PM.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this kind of thing usually require surgery???

Wannabebig Member
    I had a slipped disc due to congenial deformaties. Which causes a cracked vertebrae. It didn't require any surgery but I did have to wear a solid back brace for 2 years to keep me in perfect posture. If my vertebrae had completely "fell off" it would have required surgery. So that's not always the case. However, whenever it first happened, the biggest tell-tale sign for me was the pain going down my legs. Started out as what felt like a pulled muscle or maybe even a spastic muscle. Then I started feeling it more in my quads and later down the side of my calves.

When it happened to me, I was 10 years old. The orthopedist told me that it would regrow fully in my early 20's. I haven't had any serious problems with it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this kind of thing usually require surgery???
    they only require surgery if the disc is putting pressure on any nerves, typically the sciatic nerve.

as for the originla question, they are permanent. keep a strong core, and keep exercising your lower back, you can control the pain, but there will always be a little annoyance there
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.