The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Rate you gym

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

    18 34.62%
  • Good

    14 26.92%
  • Fair

    15 28.85%
  • Bad

    5 9.62%
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Rate your gym

  1. #1
    Senior Member Drheckler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Canada, NB
    Posts
    173

    Rate your gym

    Just seeing what people think of the gym they go to, I really have no compliants about mine its never busy and the people that go there go to workout not to socialize. The only thing I do hate is people who don't finish on one peice of equipment. They go back and forth and when you go to use it they come over oh I'm using that... not cool.
    Current: 5'8 165lbs

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    991
    i like mine. all the necessary equipment and people will always help me w/spot.

    the only major gripe i have, is that there is no real power-rack, w/adjustable pins and stuff. there is a place to do squats, but you can't adjust anything, since it's just to supports out of metal tubing.

    it's also cheap, which is good. $75 for the year, although it should be free since it's the school gym... grrr

  4. #3
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Bad. My old gym had a leg room that is the size of my current gym. I'm not a fan of prissy gyms. Gimme hardocore dungeon. Back in college I went on a tour of a gym that was literaly in the basement. Upstairs was all the cardio and stuff, then you literally walked into a dungeon downstairs. Thats what I want.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  5. #4
    Banned Allyrulez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    586
    Fair

    No free-weight squatting gear ... Only smith

    DBs only go up to 88lbs (no concern of mine, but i see a big guy lookin a bit lost where to go after benching them pretty cake)

    Have maxed untriumphant leg extension/leg press machines already





    Thou the cardio rocks. Its a trophy wifes gym

  6. #5
    Body by 4th Meal Big o Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lubbock, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Good, but all the TV's and projectors and **** take away the "hardcore" feeling for me.

    I'm not sure if I'm there to workout or watch TV.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

    "Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    126
    It's okay. They need to get more equipment (only six benches, one straight bar, etc.) I always have to wait to use stuff.

    Also, I wish we had bars that are the same models in the cable machine area. We have 10 cable machines, and each one has a different model. For example, one may be 20 inches but really thin. Another will be 20 inches but thick. If it's 20 inches, just get the same model. If it's 30 inches, same model. By the way, my gym needs wide grip bars to do post delt workouts.

    Obviously there are the common gripes about people curling in the squat rack and cage, not to mention people who ask for your weights while you're in the middle of a set.

    A lot of folks in my gym don't want to share. And when you ask them to spot you, they look pissed. One out of five will say no. I thought this was normal until I talked to other people from different gyms. They said they never get turned down when they ask someone to spot them.

  8. #7
    *unsheathes sword* Strider2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    481
    Uhh pretty poor. One Bench Press Station, 3 benchs and the dumbells only go up to 65lbs. Theres quite a few machines + a smith bench, but I'm a free weight kinda guy.
    Stats at 1st March - 7th June

    Weight: 171 - 163
    Bodyfat: 15.5% - 10%

    Status: Bulking

  9. #8
    MilliVanilli
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    It's okay. They need to get more equipment (only six benches, one straight bar, etc.) I always have to wait to use stuff.

    Also, I wish we had bars that are the same models in the cable machine area. We have 10 cable machines, and each one has a different model. For example, one may be 20 inches but really thin. Another will be 20 inches but thick. If it's 20 inches, just get the same model. If it's 30 inches, same model. By the way, my gym needs wide grip bars to do post delt workouts.

    Obviously there are the common gripes about people curling in the squat rack and cage, not to mention people who ask for your weights while you're in the middle of a set.

    A lot of folks in my gym don't want to share. And when you ask them to spot you, they look pissed. One out of five will say no. I thought this was normal until I talked to other people from different gyms. They said they never get turned down when they ask someone to spot them.
    Yeah, I don't workout in a 'gym' I workout in my school 'weight room'. Its all business there. Really really good. Better than any gym that you have to pay for and rivals Gold for as good or better place to workout. I was doing a lighter weight for bench the other day just to get a set in because I'm trying to bring my bench up and after being tired and not thinking i could push through the last one, a random guy was watching me and came over to spot.

  10. #9
    MilliVanilli
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider2
    Uhh pretty poor. One Bench Press Station, 3 benchs and the dumbells only go up to 65lbs. Theres quite a few machines + a smith bench, but I'm a free weight kinda guy.

    Jesus, I weigh like 140lbs if that and I need up to 65lb dumbells if I'm shrugging or doing farmer's carries or anything like that.

  11. #10
    big pimpin biggimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    omaha
    Posts
    1,762
    my gym is 2300 square feet, brand new everything, over $2,000,000 into it. its part of the brand new high school i go to. really nice.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.


    journal

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by biggimp
    my gym is 2300 square feet, brand new everything, over $2,000,000 into it. its part of the brand new high school i go to. really nice.
    frickin sweet

  13. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    8
    I used go to 24 Hour and Cal Fitness but now I train @ home. As a child we always had a gym in our garage and now I have my own. I've been getting equipment here and there. Keys for my home gym are quick change dumbells, Power Rack, several curl bars, punching bag and some music. That's the recipe for success.

  14. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    88
    It's alright, has squat cages and stuff, but it's a bit small and decor is horrible, really crushes the motivation. And that's not to mention the people who do nothing but talk, or deliberately drop their weights on the floor, and it's often impossible to find the right dumbells because they're all over the place.

  15. #14
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    My gym is pretty small. Mostly machines and cardio. They do have one power rack though. The problem is, that most times it is taken up with people who insist upon benching in it despite the fact that there are three perfectly good free weight bench stations nearby. This is good on chest day, since it means I never have to wait for a bench. On leg or back day though it is pretty much "take a number and stand in line". Then there is the personal trainer who insists on coming over and telling me to do incline because "it will develop your upper pecs." He is actually a pretty nice guy but some of the info he gives has obviously been taken from the pages of Muscle and Fiction. :evillaugh


    Then there are the children. The mothers come to the gym and let the children roam freely while they (the mothers) are on the treadmill or bike. This in and of itself would not be so bad. However there is nothing more disconcerting when preparing for a heavy set then to suddenly hear a loud shrill scream "Ohh whaa. way-gook emneeda!
    Then all the children flock to my immediate area to drink in the sight of a Westerner in their gym. And there is always the brave soul or two who drape themselves over the bar I am about to use in order to get a better look at me. Should I tell them to go away they will scream in terror and run away. Then I get all sorts of accusing looks from the mothers as they comfort their brood. The terror never lasts long as by next set they are back. And the set after that, and the set after that.... Suffice it to say that now I go later in the evening.

    Then there are my "spotters". I only wish that I could convince them that "spotting" does NOT involve frantically grabbing the bar the second it begins to move and grunting and sweating through every rep with me. Oh well, at least they get a good workout
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 04-24-2004 at 04:57 AM.

  16. #15
    Senior Member diego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    dublin, ireland
    Posts
    245
    no squat rack, but quiet in the morning to do a workout with out waiting, ugly crowd, no fitness, how ironic
    magik

  17. #16
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    I go to 24 hr fitness. Dumbbels only go up to 100lbs. All the plates are heavier than they say (50-55lb plates that read 45lbs), machines are old, benches are old, and the gym is generally ugly. But, if you aren't into lifting there's some super hot babes there.

    When I was going to Golds, now that was an A++++++++ gym, we have 4 in the Phoenix metro area. Feb 2005 I go back. I can't wait. Dumbbells went up to 150lbs, machines for everything, 5 benches, 5 inclines, 5 declines, 4 military press stations, 3 squat racks, 2 Smith machines, 2 sets of each dumbbells(except above 120 lbs), 2 leg press machines, 2 hack squat machine, 2 or 3 alternate squat machines, and tons and tons of hammer strength machines. And there's a girls room so they dont get in the way, and there's a sweet ass cardio section for after the workout.

    Now thats a gym, and thats the Gilbert gym, they just but a 2+ million dollar facility up in Scottsdale that blows the Gilbert gym away.

    only 10months left before I can go back. LOL
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  18. #17
    HomeYield WillKuenzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    7,769
    Mine's fair. The music sucks though as with any other gym I've been to. The trainers here are probably the best I've seen. The first exercise you are taugh; the squat. That's always good to see.

    3 power racks, with rarely somebody curling in them. Mostly because the trainers will run those people out.

    There's not a whole lot as far as inspiration goes. I'm one of the bigger guys there and maybe the only one that competes. I've met a girl getting ready for a fitness show but its not exactly geared towards competitors.

    I'd like to find a dungeon with a glute ham raise and reverse hyper machine that played some Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, etc.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

  19. #18
    Senior Member diego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    dublin, ireland
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    Mine's fair. The music sucks though as with any other gym I've been to. .
    the music sucked in my gym too, but i brought my own cd's in and changed all that
    Last edited by diego; 04-24-2004 at 12:26 PM.
    magik

  20. #19
    Banned KingJustin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,025
    I workout at gold's, I'd say it's fair to good. They have most of the equipment that you need, though I guess we could use a glute-ham/reverse hyper and maybe a couple of other machines like that, but for the most part it has everything I need.

    The people are all nice, but most of them don't train very smart and kind of go from machine to machine and rarely use free weights. Lots of curl jockeys and I have to listen to a little advice almost every time I get a spot on bench.

    I'd prefer some speed metal/punk instead of pop music, but that's kind of minor I guess.

    The college I'm going to next fall has all the westside equipment and it has got to be the nicest gym/fitness area I've ever seen ..
    Last edited by KingJustin; 04-24-2004 at 12:39 PM.

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    My gym is pretty small. Mostly machines and cardio. They do have one power rack though. The problem is, that most times it is taken up with people who insist upon benching in it despite the fact that there are three perfectly good free weight bench stations nearby. This is good on chest day, since it means I never have to wait for a bench. On leg or back day though it is pretty much "take a number and stand in line". Then there is the personal trainer who insists on coming over and telling me to do incline because "it will develop your upper pecs." He is actually a pretty nice guy but some of the info he gives has obviously been taken from the pages of Muscle and Fiction. :evillaugh


    Then there are the children. The mothers come to the gym and let the children roam freely while they (the mothers) are on the treadmill or bike. This in and of itself would not be so bad. However there is nothing more disconcerting when preparing for a heavy set then to suddenly hear a loud shrill scream "Ohh whaa. way-gook emneeda!
    Then all the children flock to my immediate area to drink in the sight of a Westerner in their gym. And there is always the brave soul or two who drape themselves over the bar I am about to use in order to get a better look at me. Should I tell them to go away they will scream in terror and run away. Then I get all sorts of accusing looks from the mothers as they comfort their brood. The terror never lasts long as by next set they are back. And the set after that, and the set after that.... Suffice it to say that now I go later in the evening.

    Then there are my "spotters". I only wish that I could convince them that "spotting" does NOT involve frantically grabbing the bar the second it begins to move and grunting and sweating through every rep with me. Oh well, at least they get a good workout
    oh dude, too funny...

    again, i could totally see that happening

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •