Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long does it take to look "jacked"?

how long does it take to look "jacked"?

lol

i know the answer is relative to your goals, what you think "jacked" looks like etc., but how long do you think it takes to look like you definitely work out in respect to your frame/physique?

a year? two years? longer?

Depends on a lot of factors, like build, etc. I'd give it at least a year of smart training.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    **** Im workin into 4 now before people start calling me a "big guy"
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

****, if people aren't calling you big Justin, they need glasses.

I'm over 200lbs now and some people call me big. Not many though.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

People call me big now. And it's taken 4 years which seemed like forever.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Took me about 1 year of newbie training, and a serious summer for people to start recognizing i was working out.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Its been almost 2 1/2 years now, for me. I guess people started calling me big somewhere around the 2 year mark.

Wannabebig Member
    ive been working out for 3 months seriously until people noticed I was working out. being 6'4'' and large frame with too much fat, I had people calling me 'big' all the time. now 38 waist to 33 later, Ill less big if that makes sense.

I'm at 2 years now and get and "big guy" comment here and there.

heading to 195
    little over a year for me, and people have noticed a huge transformation from skinny whore to moderately skinny whore..

but nowhere near jacked even after smart training, good sleep, and a lot of food

cool. thanks for responses.

Wannabebig Member
    ive been working out hard for about half a year now people dont call me big but they have told me ive gotten bigger. I was fat as a little kid then i got skinny about half a year ago and now ive put on like 15-20 pounds of muscle and now people just say im getting bigger.

ive been super skinny while at school... Now i have bigger frame with the muscles to go with and i get people calling me big every so often (this is 2 years later)

It's also going to depend on whether you want to appear big. For example, if you want to look big for the right reasons when wearing a long sleeved jumper, its going to take a lot more than if you wore a tank top.

Get Big!!!
    Went from 140 to 200 in a little over a year. I get the comments now but nowhere near "jacked."

I worked out for years, on and off, nothing serious. Never made any gains on size or strength. Just maintenance kida stuff. I've been hitting it hard and serious now for 6 months and just in the past week 2 people here at work have asked what I am on and 3 different people at the gym mentioned how much size I've gained. My wife has asked me to stop working out because my shirts don't fit any more. Just good genetics, eating right and working smart and hard, I guess.
    Winners train. Losers complain.

It also depends on how often people see you. When I came back from college I had gained about 15-20 pounds and people were like, "geez you got big". I'm only 5' 7" so I guess an extra 15 pounds or so would make me look much bigger.

:withstupi
    I went from 145 to 180 in the first 6 months so i started getting the comment then. Also helps being a midget
    Last edited by Adam; 04-22-2004 at 07:25 AM.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I guess I started noticing people thinking I was big back in 1993. I was around the 210 mark and I was visiting my family for Christmas (Louisiana).

I was standing and looking out the window at my Uncles house and my cousin was sitting on the couch. He says, "What are they feeding you over in Texas, you must be 2 feet thick from chest to back." (Actually, with expanded lats my girth is now 51.7" and I am guessing it was around 46" back then if I remember right)

I told him that I eat everything I see.

I am now app 245 at almost 6'. 100% natural and have been training for 16 years.

I've been working out for almost 9 years now and I'm still not big. It's a lifetime effort, big is never big enough.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

It's taken me 7 years of dedicated training to get to where I am now. People started calling me big about a year after I started training. Growing after the beginning is usually a slow and steady process.

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    I've been working out for almost 9 years now and I'm still not big. It's a lifetime effort, big is never big enough.
    same here

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    one year, 50 pounds later with a good diet.

it takes a while to lay the foundation though, I lifted three years trying different styles and reps before I found a routine that got me big, then it was just a matter of eating clean to maximize the results from time spent in the gym.

I believe that anyone can get pretty much double, ot even triple thier progress if they get their eating down early in the game.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

yeah i wasted 3 years doing HIT and eating not enough and not enough protine

ive been working out since i was 14-15. ive been serious, as in at least 3-5 times a week nonstop, for the past 2.5-3 yrs. now i guess since people call me big, i can call myself decent sized, 230. but too get jacked/ripped/shredded/whatever, ive probably got another 1-2 before i just start training to maintain.

if you think it can be done in no time at all or "before summer", like i hear alot of the kids at the gym saying, its not happening.
    Last edited by BHerks; 04-22-2004 at 12:52 PM.