Thread: Deadlifts a must?

Deadlifts a must?

I did deadlifts last summer, but after hearing horror stories of people screwing up thier back and the like, i decided not to do them.. since im 6'1" i have a decently long back, and i just wanted to protect it... i still do squats however, and i just wondered if added deadlifts back into my routine will help me out substantially enough to outweigh the risk of injury?

bottom line: cant i just get away with doing squats, hack squats, and leg press?

The Chicken Mr'ga
    if you use good form, you wont hurt yourself. same as any other exersise, do it correctly and there is little risk of injury. i used to see people at the gym i went to with a better chance of hurting their back while doing bicep curls.
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

:withstupi
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Form is what it's all about, Patty, do you still have that video of a guy doing a good dead? I remember you posting it, I don't think the exrx one is that great.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah if you really want to pack on some seriosu muscle, you can say that deadlifts are a must. just make sure you use proper form on each rep and they will help you grow like a weed.

when done with proper form deadlifts are just as safe as bench pressing and curling
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    Form is what it's all about, Patty, do you still have that video of a guy doing a good dead? I remember you posting it, I don't think the exrx one is that great.
    Boom.

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthl...s/convdead.mpg

WBB Member
    I watched that video, and I noticed he bends his back foward as he lowers the weight, almost to the point where his low back is parallel to the floor as the barbell touches the ground. Is that how it is supposed to be done? I have always tried to keep my back as upright as possible while lowering the weight, thinking that if I bend foward like he does in the video, I would have a greater chance of injuring my back. Which way is correct, or does that particular aspect of the lift matter that much?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorcod
    I did deadlifts last summer, but after hearing horror stories of people screwing up thier back and the like, i decided not to do them.. since im 6'1" i have a decently long back, and i just wanted to protect it... i still do squats however, and i just wondered if added deadlifts back into my routine will help me out substantially enough to outweigh the risk of injury?

bottom line: cant i just get away with doing squats, hack squats, and leg press?
    You don't need deadlifts, I do them rarely now myself.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 04-26-2004 at 12:00 AM.

i do both squats and deadlifts once a week one on back day and one on leg day. I do them both for 2 reasons because they are compound and because they are my strongest exersises.

I used to be affraid of squats even on a smith cause i thought i'd cripple myself. But i started light and made sure my form was 110% ... I did the same with deads cause i too thought i'd end up crippled.

But i have gone from 50K Dead in ma room lol sounds like a nothing to me now cause i dead 100K now and that was within 6 months of bringing squats and dead bak to my workout.

Oh yeh and enjoy :P

Im someone who is overly paranoid about spine injurys (having witnessed my Dad and Uncle lurching around with ****ed backs)

But i had to bite the bullet and do em, cos i need to lift up the barbell to do shrugs.. Anyway i think because they strengthen your back it actually helps PROTECT your spine... My job involves a lot of crouching and bending over and i can really feel how easier those tasks are now, as in they dont even register even after a hard day

I used to have low back pain. Not severe, I just noticed it when I got up in the mornings, etc. Until I started doing dead lifts. No more back pain for me. It sure has strengthened my entire back.
    Winners train. Losers complain.

Banned
    Dedicated.....you curl 110 8 times ? One hand or two ?

I freakin' love deadlifts. I wait for them all week to roll around and get myself psyched for them days in advance.
    The feeling of pulling up massive weights and seeing my body grow like mad- along with the weights steadily climbing up- is phenomanal.
    I remember starting out and I hated them- my form sucked and I saw these hulks pulling up double or triple bdoy weight and I was stuck with a single wheel grunting it up and thinking I would pass out.
    And now Im pulling 525lbs @ 190lbs so its all good!
    Ive seen my traps blow up, my back get thick and strong- all cuz of the deads. Its made a believer out of this guy.

don't you need to work deads to balance your muscle development from squats? if you just work one or the other wouldn't you develop some sort of imbalance?

I love deads, but hate, really hate squats............... weird[ but I squat too]
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    I watched that video, and I noticed he bends his back foward as he lowers the weight, almost to the point where his low back is parallel to the floor as the barbell touches the ground. Is that how it is supposed to be done? I have always tried to keep my back as upright as possible while lowering the weight, thinking that if I bend foward like he does in the video, I would have a greater chance of injuring my back. Which way is correct, or does that particular aspect of the lift matter that much?
    yeah i have the same question.

so the the consensus is that i DO them yes? argh.....

and if so, then just add them in on my leg day?
    Last edited by doctorcod; 04-26-2004 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorcod
    then just add them in on my leg day?
    I have them in my back day.
    "It is not fate that has lead us to be what we are. Nor is it entirely choice. But it is up to us to have faith that what we do is for the greater good. We must believe in ourselves."

My journal

Quote Originally Posted by Raven21
    Dedicated.....you curl 110 8 times ? One hand or two ?
    It says barbell curl, so 2 hand hehe, I no longer do that exercise that often anymore, it hurts my forearms.